Computer Issues

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So I've been getting a random bsod lately
What OS are you running? And which service pack?

Do you have MS updates installing automatically all the time?

How long has this been an issue? Have you made any hardware changes recently?

Toxxulian_sl

shitlord
I believe I fixed it. Haven't gotten a bsod in the last three days, I lowered my OC and that seems to have fixed it. Not sure exactly why it started up, though. Had been running this set up for a month or so without any issue.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I believe I fixed it. Haven't gotten a bsod in the last three days, I lowered my OC and that seems to have fixed it. Not sure exactly why it started up, though. Had been running this set up for a month or so without any issue.
Ambient temperature could have changed enough to affect stability, or fan performance changed or something. Or if you're really pushing voltage and temps, you could literally be wearing out your components.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Built a new PC and I can't get the video card to work in the PCI-E 3.0 slot. I'm assuming the slot on the motherboard is bad, but I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything before I RMA it.

The power supply is fine (550w, something like 530 to the 12v rail).

Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3
Video Card: HIS Radeon 7850

Basically, everything on the motherboard works with onboard video. Video card has a 6 pin connector, and with power on the fan spins. DVI cable is known good. Powering on with the DVI connected, I don't get any signal in the BIOS, and Windows doesn't show anything in device manager. BIOS is set for PCI-E to be the default input (I also tried changing it to PCI and nothing still). I also tried putting the video card in a PCI 2.0 slot and it worked. I feel like I'm missing a jumper or some kind of setting somewhere, but I have no clue. The 2.0 slot is really close to the bottom of the motherboard (and case) so it's going to get shit air flow. It's also blowing directly onto my wireless card. Plus, I don't want a half working motherboard.

The final weird thing is that I connected my old video card (Radeon 4830) in the 3.0 slot and it worked for a little bit before conflicts with the onboard made it stop working and I just got frustrated and took it back out.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Definitely do a bios update if you haven't already. I had a ton of issues with my ASRock motherboard until I updated the bios, but it's been flawless ever since I updated it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Companies really aren't harnessing PCIE3.0 yet, you most likely won't see any difference at all - I know, I write code for it. That said, update the BIOS and see if that fixes it and if not definitely RMA it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've updated the BIOS. I actually found something last night about Z77 boards and 7850's, and it sounds like you may have to run it as a 2.0 for it to work. I'm not really sure what to do with that information, since that means I'll have to hope that by the time I need/want actual 3.0 support that they'll have fixed it, or I'll have to get a different MB. But I'll try switching it after I get off work to see how that goes.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Sounds like they'd be likely to fix it in a future BIOS update, but who knows. If you aren't comfortable with possibly ending up with a lemon, you're probably best demanding a refund or an exchange, as it isn't doing what it should be doing.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Basically, 3.0 won't be any better than 2.0 unless you're gaming at like 2560x1440 or above in resolution, you don't hit any restrictions with 2.0 bandwith until you get to REALLY high resolutions. And even at 2560x1440, you're only looking at maybe a 5% performance gain, if that, depending on the card.

Really 3.0 is there as something we might actually need 5 years from now, it does almost nothing with current common hardware configurations and what 99% of people do with their computers today.

Here are some benchmarks for reference:
1341219566Ew8yr7oTVd_2_1.gif

1341219566Ew8yr7oTVd_2_3.gif

1341219566Ew8yr7oTVd_2_7.gif

Basically, I wouldn't really be bothered about running as 2.0. You'll probably have an entirely new PC or at least video card by the time 3.0 makes any significant difference several years from now.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, that's good to hear. And that worked. The BIOS (newest only) has an option to run the slot as "Gen 1," Gen 2," and "Gen 3." Gen 2 works. Appreciate the help!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Do you have the newest bios version for your ASRock motherboard? I had all sorts of weird crash/lockup/reboot issues on my ASRock(not the same model as yours though) until I did a bios update. It was sketchy as hell out of the box with the default bios(even though I just bought it new 2 months ago, you'd think it would have had a fairly recent bios already installed, but no), but I love it now that it's updated.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Geez, that's almost the identical system to the one I just talked about a couple posts up. In case you didn't see what I did (even though it seems like a different issue), newest BIOS, and set the graphics card to Gen 2 (which is PCI 2.0). Haven't had any issues since making that change.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
regarding BIOS updates, it is advisible to update BIOS regularly, if there is nothing wrong with the PC?

i've heard it's dangerous because if it fucks up that PC is now a brick.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
regarding BIOS updates, it is advisible to update BIOS regularly, if there is nothing wrong with the PC?

i've heard it's dangerous because if it fucks up that PC is now a brick.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Chances are the only thing you're doing is adding support for CPUs you don't have.

Read the BIOS update revision's change log, and if none of the fixes or additions apply to you, there's no reason to do the update. Granted, it's very unlikely that anything will go wrong when flashing, especially on today's models of motherboard -- they usually have a backup ROM just in case -- but again, if the new BIOS version doesn't give you anything you need, why bother?

Jovec

?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Chances are the only thing you're doing is adding support for CPUs you don't have.

Read the BIOS update revision's change log, and if none of the fixes or additions apply to you, there's no reason to do the update. Granted, it's very unlikely that anything will go wrong when flashing, especially on today's models of motherboard -- they usually have a backup ROM just in case -- but again, if the new BIOS version doesn't give you anything you need, why bother?
Just want to add that, for my Gigabyte motherboards at least, if you are moving from a traditional BIOS to a UEFI BIOS that it needed to be done from a dos boot disk, rather than from the OS or built-in BIOS update utility. Windows also required me to reauthorize my copy.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
In 15 years of working in IT I have only seen bios updates go bad and kill the board 2 times. The first was a corrupted floppy disk (back when that was the only way to flash the bios) and the second was when a power outage happened in the middle of the update. I would say that mishaps are pretty rare but they are fatal. As mentioned you usually don't get much out of an update except new hardware compatibility. That is usually the only time I upgrade my bios, when I am throwing in new components like a new cpu, video card or memory.