Computer Issues

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Is your power supply big enough to push the respective parts?
Honestly, I'm more concerned about the general lag after a few minutes than the kernel-power error. I honestly believe that the power issue is a symptom just like the lagging, but even if it is unrelated it is the less severe issue. I'm also pretty sure I'm pushing more than enough power for the build.

Here is the build:Intel Core i5-4670, Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X, NZXT Source 220 - System Build - PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
OS Drive: Sandisk Solid State Drive 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X 2GB WINDFORCE
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

One thing I haven't done is run the comp straight off the MB/CPU for video to test if the video card is overheating or malfunctioning. That is my next step. Are there any good ways to test for CPU or MB issues?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Honestly, I'm more concerned about the general lag after a few minutes than the kernel-power error. I honestly believe that the power issue is a symptom just like the lagging, but even if it is unrelated it is the less severe issue. I'm also pretty sure I'm pushing more than enough power for the build.

Here is the build:Intel Core i5-4670, Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X, NZXT Source 220 - System Build - PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
OS Drive: Sandisk Solid State Drive 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X 2GB WINDFORCE
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

One thing I haven't done is run the comp straight off the MB/CPU for video to test if the video card is overheating or malfunctioning. That is my next step. Are there any good ways to test for CPU or MB issues?
Get FanSpeed or Hardware Config (I think?) to monitor GFX temps.

Honestly, I don't think the 500W is enough to power that all.

LiquidDeath

Get FanSpeed or Hardware Config (I think?) to monitor GFX temps.

Honestly, I don't think the 500W is enough to power that all.
Truly? The estimate was just shy of 300W. What do you think would be necessary?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Truly? The estimate was just shy of 300W. What do you think would be necessary?
I'd look at a 700W+ just because you can easily try it out for less than $80. Obviously try out the MB-video out to confirm it isn't the card (and check the tempts) first.

LiquidDeath

I've never paid hardcore attention to my temps. Will it be obvious if something is wrong? If not is there a good resource for determining acceptable temp ranges?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
heat is a longtime killer, you have a modern pc, just download speedfan and you should see all your temps,
your hds
your cpu
your cpu core
your gpu
your mb

your hd's really shouldn't go above 30c, 40c and your case is just too hot or not optimal, ppl have said you can run your drives to 100c, but fuck that, SMART(the hd detection shit) will flag your drive as dead on boot with temps that high

your cpu should hover at 30 to 50, idle or doing minor things, 80c is super redline, and i would worry at 70c, same could be said for gpu really.

stress test with
cpu
GIMPS - Free Prime95 software downloads - PrimeNet

video card
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

and use speedfan to monitor your temps when all this is happening.

if you're stressed and too hot, you need better cooling.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Sustained GPU operation at 80c isn't an issue for most video cards. I wouldn't call it "super redline", no. Close to 100c and you're in trouble.

If you're monitoring under full load (i.e. FurMark) and you see a steady 80c, no worries. If it's climbing well past 80 and still going, you're probably hosed, but you don't want to let it climb forever. If you see an indication that you've hit 80 and you're still climbing quickly, stop the test and look at your fans.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
RR Bros.

Since yesterday, my computer has started getting bogged down by the simplest stuff. Anything requiring any sort of resources cause my computer to BSoD or freeze. We're talking simple things - busy webpages (the GIF thread), Hearthstone (which my crappy work laptop runs fine), and even running Windows computer performance assessment. I figured maybe my video card finally died (it's over seven years old now), but the GIF thread blows my processor usage out of control - over 90%. Chrome's memory usage will reach over one million. Are these related or is this a processor issue? I used a system restore to go back to Monday evening, but that hasn't resolved the issue.

I have a few crash dump files, but I've heard those are next to useless. This is a PC I built myself. I run into issues once every two years or so which I can usually figure out, but this one is so broad I don't know where to start.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Never mind. I actually had a spare video card lying around. That was it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well I'll try buying one of the non-powered ones and report back. The KVM basically has 3 DVI-D ports: 2 for the boxes and 1 for the monitor. It's this:Amazon.com: IOGEAR 2-Port USB DVI-D Cable KVM with Audio and Mic GCS932UB (Black): Electronics
FYI, non-powered adapter does not work. I ordered two, got the first one and tested, it doesn't work. I still don't have the second one and won't for a while, i guess it takes a while to ship from Nanjiang, but unless this adapter was just a dud it looks like a powered adapter is required. Which no one makes.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
FYI, non-powered adapter does not work. I ordered two, got the first one and tested, it doesn't work. I still don't have the second one and won't for a while, i guess it takes a while to ship from Nanjiang, but unless this adapter was just a dud it looks like a powered adapter is required. Which no one makes.
You can't take DVI-D and directly connect it to anything analog. You need an intermediary like a KVM with logic to convert digital to analog to do that. DVI-D cables don't have the necessary pins to carry the analog signal, and if your monitor/KVM is only DVI-D (and can't do DVI-I at all), it likely isn't even outputting analog in the first place.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well my monitor has an additional analog output so I can hook that up and use the monitor's source switching, I just wanted to use my KVM. It sucks to pay so much for this DVI-D KVM and not use it.

However, I think it is hilarious that there are companies in China making these analog -> digital adapters that don't serve any purpose.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Do the adapters support DVI-I as well? That would make more sense. You can run DVI-I to VGA as long as the DVI end is analog-capable.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Heh, that's just weird. I don't know why they'd even make that unless it was specifically to connect to something that could switch the signal for you. I guess some KVMs could do it. Who knows. For $3, yeah, who cares.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
so I tried going on teamspeak today after using it last night, but for some reason my mic isn't working so I do the usual checks and it seems my mic is muted, when I go to recording devices options etc mic volume is down to 0 I move it up to full but all I can do is hit ok, the settings get saved for a second then revert back to muted this ever happen to anyone?

basically when I try to turn the mic from 0 to anything else the change wont stick, and this just randomly happened after it working fine