Computer Issues

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Exactly what you've described would happen if you'd plugged the mic into the Aux in/out socket by mistake. Is that the case?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Are you also using on-board audio or a soundblaster add in card? my xfi will fuck up royally once a year for no god damn reason.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Might be an auto volume adjust setting from some other app, as well. Had that happen to me on a few systems until I turned it off, usually in the sound card control panel.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Naw I have it plugged into the correct slots

Lanx im using on-board sound

alkorin, what did you look for specifically? I have realtek Hd audio manager for sound stuffs, even when I changed the setting in realtek, it wouldent save I turn it up, and it literally gets turned right back down to muted.

idk what would have changed over night, I haven't downloaded anything new really at least not the day before this happened, last thing I downloaded was mumble I believe few months ago.

so I was fucking around with some settings I go into the volume mixer and "HOST PROCESS FOR WINDOWS" is muted theres several of them, when I unmute them the setting seems to stick... or so it seems until it shows up as muted again then the mic dosent get picked up.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

holy fuck, goto 3:10 thats where the fix for his problem starts, maybe it will for you as well.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
unfortunately no
frown.png
this shit is pissing me the fuck off I really don't want to have to reinstall because I cant figure this out.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
the only thing I can think of is a virus or something... but why it would be effecting my microphone settings idk.... and I don't download stupid shit.. or go on dumb sites none of that bullshit.

anyone know of a site full of super neckbeards I could sign up to and try asking? realllly don't wanna re-do windows and all my garbage.

all right something is fucked up, I went back on my drivers now theres no realtek installed, the microphone was working for about 3-4 minutes until everything booted up it seems then it went back to mute.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I can't remember all the details as its been awhile but I remember having similar issues between realtek and nvidia drivers because I was using the HDMI output from the nvidia card. Think I ditched the realtek drivers completely and it worked fine then on.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Does the MIC function normally on another PC?

Download the latest driver (either from your mobo manu or RealTek). Uninstall and delete the current driver. Reboot. Run Ccleaner to clean out any temp files and then clean up the registry. Double check that there are no RealTek folders on your PC(unless you have a realtek onboard nic, in which case pay attention to what you're doing). Check Program Files(x86 and x64), and Program Data.

Install the new driver.

If its still wonky, I would guess something onboard is failing.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Jook I do switch back and forth from my TV using HDMI and then back to headphones often, I deleted the realtek drivers the mic seemed to work for a few minutes but reverted back shortly, and I have an NVidia card, what did you do specifically after deleting the reltek drivers?

Mats, just so I get this right you want me to delete my current real tek drivers, reboot check around for realtek folders THEN install the new driver? and the new driver would be just the newest realtek one? because currently that's what I am running the most up to date drivers on reltek.

id really hope nothing is failing onboard, entire Pc is less than a year old, when I rolled back the realtek drivers to a previous version, it rolls back to "Microsoft" not sure what that even means, I don't have a sound card its all onboard so.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
When I say its been awhile I really meant I was drunk when I was working on it, so Im not 100% sure but I think once I set the the default to use the nvidia it began working again.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
hmmm I don't see NVidia as an option after I rolled realtek back, it went to "Microsoft"

like I said too it literally happened over night, I was raiding with the rerolled boys and it was fine, woke up next morning boom, also not sure if this means anything but when I open volume mixer it has "windows explorer" looking folders show up there muted, like the settings just wont stick so idk if that's a sign of onboard failure or just something maybe interfering with it or something the mic works, the settings just wont stay saved.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I think its bound to be something between realtek vs nvidia tho, just a google search for that brings up tons of stuff all related to HDMI

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I think its bound to be something between realtek vs nvidia tho, just a google search for that brings up tons of stuff all related to HDMI
im just trying to figure out what could have been downloaded or happened over night, I don't remember any updates for NVidia or realtek, just pulled the hdmi cord to see if that would do anything but nope.

Im still not sure what NVidia drivers you are talking about or used though, I only have a NVidia video card not an NVidia sound card heh sorry if that sounds dumb idk much about this stuff.

I still haven't uninstalled the driver completely just rolled it back to previous and now under the driver instead of realtek it says "Microsoft"

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Were you using teamspeak? Pretty sure when I installed that was when I started having issues.

EDIT The more I think about it the more 'memories' are coming back to me, lol

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Were you using teamspeak? Pretty sure when I installed that was when I started having issues.

EDIT The more I think about it the more 'memories' are coming back to me, lol
yeah I was using teamspeak, but it dosent seem to work in any other voice chat either, the settings just wont save.

also I tried to install ccleaner but everytime I got to the part where it asks to install google toolbar I uncheck it and the installer closes out.

just checked my NVidia it last updated on the 17th but I still haven't installed those new updates, but that's my video card.

it works for about 5 minutes when my computer starts then it starts going retarded.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
under the sound control panel, is something set as the default communications device?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
under the sound control panel, is something set as the default communications device?
the sound control panel?
I right clicked the little icon in the bottom right, I went through all those menus didn't see a control panel, check the recording devices/playback devices didn't see anything labled default communications device.

sorry like I said, I don't do much trouble shooting usually when I have to im lost like this.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
went into device manager, under sounds I found NVidia high definition device and NVidia virtual audio device wave, but don't see anyway to use them or open them up or make them default.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
if you right click one of the playback devices you can set it to be the default communications device. Mine is currently Digital Audio (S/PDIF)