Computer Issues

Zastlyn

Peasant
my new build won't post. no signal to the monitor. the case fans and motherboard lights turn on. but my keyboard and mouse lights dont. no beeps but I'm not sure if this mobo has a built in speaker. msi 970 gaming mobo, fx 8350 and a r9 380. I'm thinking maybe the cpu is dead. Anyone got any ideas?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'm sure you connected power to the r9, but swap cables anyway, also try using vga/dvi to the monitor this sometimes is problematic if you're using an actual tv instead of a monitor.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
PC's still POST but that's just an AMI BIOS spash screen. The computer is likely hanging while it's trying to enumerate the drive on the PCI bus or something.

Easy way to test this would be to remove the drive and just keep rebooting the PC and see if it ever hangs. If not your drive is suspect.
Spent an hour this morning fucking around with BIOS settings. Must have booted the thing 100 times. First I wanted to mess around with the BIOS before I start yanking anything out. It would appear that you're likely right, without having pulled the SSD as yet. I messed around with various fast foot and UEFI settings, and none of them seemed to make any difference whatsoever. I did discover that the ultra-fast boot mode didn't play nice with my K95 keyboard. I couldn't get in to the BIOS in that mode, I had to let it boot to Windows and then hold shift while restarting to get in to the advanced options. It wouldn't register keystrokes during boot-up in ultra fast mode, for whatever reason. But the fast mode works fine. Meh.

I'll try removing the SSD and/or using it in a different slot when I've got some more time to fiddle. At this point it appears that the Intel 750 SSD just doesn't power up fast enough for the mobo's liking, and it hangs the start-up like you said. If it's already got power, whether from a restart within Windows or simply hitting the reset button on a hung start-up, everything is kosher. If I disable the SSD as a boot option and just leave USB and/or DVD enabled, then it boots fine and asks for a valid system disk. If I deleted ALL boot options entirely, it did act a bit strangely. Most of the time it would simply boot up and go to the BIOS automatically without hitting any keys. But twice, from a cold start, it went ahead and booted to Win10 off the SSD anyways. Which I found really odd. It did that twice out of probably 6-8 times I tried cold booting with zero available boot options in the BIOS.

I used the latest Intel SSD Toolbox, and the firmware is up to date and no errors were found during the thorough check, but I suppose that's only checking the integrity of the memory itself. I might try cloning the drive to another, older, SATA SSD I have laying around and see how the system behaves.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
There should be a delay option related to hdd initialization or something like that. From what you're saying, if your bios would boot slower, everything would be fine.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I didn't know where to stick this..so here goes.

I get these massive reports in book like format on a PDF on a regular basis. They are like 1000+ pages. One of them has started coming in epub format. OK I found a few epub readers but they all pretty much suck so far. I'm looking for one that will scroll vertically since I have a second monitor that is portrait for just such a purpose. All the ones I have found do an actual page flip horizontally which kind of sucks.

I converted one to PDF and that worked. I would just like the option of opening it in native format without converting.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I didn't know where to stick this..so here goes.

I get these massive reports in book like format on a PDF on a regular basis. They are like 1000+ pages. One of them has started coming in epub format. OK I found a few epub readers but they all pretty much suck so far. I'm looking for one that will scroll vertically since I have a second monitor that is portrait for just such a purpose. All the ones I have found do an actual page flip horizontally which kind of sucks.

I converted one to PDF and that worked. I would just like the option of opening it in native format without converting.
do you have calibre?
calibre - Download calibre

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
my new build won't post. no signal to the monitor. the case fans and motherboard lights turn on. but my keyboard and mouse lights dont. no beeps but I'm not sure if this mobo has a built in speaker. msi 970 gaming mobo, fx 8350 and a r9 380. I'm thinking maybe the cpu is dead. Anyone got any ideas?
Does it have a port 80 7-segment LED display on the motherboard? You may be able to monitor that and see where it sticks.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure there's nothing wrong with your drive; it's just an NVME compatibility issue.http://download.intel.com/support/ss...32098001us.pdfis for older boards, but probably still applies. All involve disabling or mucking about with CSM. If there's no easy fix, you may just have to wait for a bios revision.

Also, are you sure it's actually crashing? Have you tried waiting a good 30 or 60 seconds after it 'freezes'?
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. It definitely hard locks at the American Megatrends boot screen. I've left it sitting there for 10+ minutes a few times. It just sits there and says "hit del or esc to enter settings" or whatever, but nothing happens if you hit keys. Then if I hit reset, it loads fine, whether to BIOS settings or in to Windows.

The problem I foresee with RMAing anything, is that the problem could reside with either the SSD, or the motherboard. And without a second identical one of each, it's pretty tough to isolate which.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Pretty close to what I was saying about having UEFI load first. It's all about the drivers/OpROMs and shit.

I knew NVME booting was a little weird. We haven't even officially added support here.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Friend started having BSOD while booting into Windows. Reformatted, and now it shuts down when he manipulates anything on the desktop. Claims to have "ruled out everything except mobo" after running a smart test (passed) and an 8+ hour ram test. I suspect HD failure despite smart test... any other thoughts? My diagnosis recommendation is to go buy a new HD and do a fresh install with all other HDs removed. Seems to be the next step given how easy it is compared to rebuilding with a new motherboard.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's probably the HDD. Type Event Viewer in the Win 7 search bar (Might be same on 8/10) and go to System events. You would see errors around bad sectors or other things.

I am thinking bad sectors. When he reformatted the OS and other drivers and shit might've been installed over bad sectors in a different order than they were in before

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
It's probably the HDD. Type Event Viewer in the Win 7 search bar (Might be same on 8/10) and go to System events. You would see errors around bad sectors or other things.

I am thinking bad sectors. When he reformatted the OS and other drivers and shit might've been installed over bad sectors in a different order than they were in before
I passed that onto him. It's actually an SSD, if that matters.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
Can anyone tell me why this happens when I start downloading anything? This is from a Steam download:

nD3oB0d.png

- I`m on Windows 10. Asus Rog g751jt.
- Intel Dual Band Wireless AC7260, latest drivers installed.
- The problem is ridiculous on the AC7260 so I had to switch to an Asus USB-AC56 wireless Adapter. The above image is downloading while using the adapter, not the built in WIFI card. Downloading is a lot better on the Asus adapter - download speeds fluctuate from like 3.0Mbs to 10Mbs while the AC7260 is like 100Kbs to 6Mbps. Just to be clear, I get massive spiking in download speeds on BOTH cards but somehow the Asus adapter handles downloading much better.
- Speedtest is 79Mbs Down and 83Mbs Up.
- I'm on my school's network atm and it's pretty damn good so trying a wired connection is not possible. I had the same exact problem at home but I didn't try a wired connection so I don't know.
- No antivirus programs installed.
- My Macbook Air chugs along at a constant 10Mbps on the school network when I do a Steam download.

What the hell is choking my speeds like that? At first I wanted to blame the network or my AC7260 card but I get the problem all the time anywhere I go.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
school Wireless didn't try a wired connection

I can't quite put my finger on it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My school wireless was absolutely disgusting. Everything was dropping all over the place. Tried to game on it and it just wasn't happening

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
My desktop has stopped working. It powers on and it sounds functional, but there's no video output. First, I thought it was the monitor/hdmi cable, but it works fine with my PS4. Second, thought it was my video card, but buying a new one had no change. Third, I realized there's onboard DVI and I have an old DVI monitor...but there's still no video output. My mobo is a Z77 Extreme4, and it has an error display which shows 4F. Didn't get anything useful from googling that, other than unplug all my stuff and clear CMOS (which I did). What the heck can cause the computer to not boot?