Computer Issues

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Take the ram out and try and turn it on. If it beeps at you the motherboard is likely working, but if it just sits there in limbo the motherboard is likely dead.

4f is typically a memory error code, do you have any other ram to test with? Can also try running it with only one dimm at a time, cycle them out to see if one of them is bad.

By no video output do you mean not even post/bios comes up?

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have G.SKILL DDR3 1600 8gb (2x4gb sticks) and rearranging them in any order (single) resulted in error 55, which google tells me means the memory isn't installed right. Shifting the pair over to the other coupled slots, or swapping their positions, didn't change anything. And throughout all this, my motherboard has never beeped, I'm only getting my info from the little LCD screen near the power button.

Do motherboards just die? This is at least the second and maybe the 3rd I've bought, still using my trusty old 2500k cpu. And in researching new CPUs (I thought I'd just buy my way out of this problem) it's pretty shocking that even the brand new Skylake processors are still being compared to Sandy Bridge, and aren't even that much of an improvement.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
They can, sure. It's not real likely, but anything can fail. Most common cause is a psu putting out bad power and burning stuff out.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Contact ASRock and see if the BIOS chip is user-replaceable or if you can RMA the board. The BIOS is dying during the DXE IPL phase which is pretty early and it seems fairly common on your board.

Have you recently flashed a BIOS or changed your CPU? My guess is the BIOS on there is corrupt. ASRock can assist.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but I will start here first.

I have a QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll monitor, and the power adapter gets so damn hot you literally can't touch it for more than a second. It is actually getting so hot that you can feel the bottom of the desk and it is warm to the touch (underneath where the adapter sits).

My question is, is this normal? It seems crazy to me that it would get that hot, and for that to be normal. It is the adapter that came with the monitor so I assume it is the correct one.

Should I try to purchase another one to see if it gets just as hot. Or is this simply the normal behavior of this power adapter with this monitor?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's a common issue. What I'd mostly be worried about is where is most of the heat? Is it just on the brick or do you feel heat where it connects to the monitor as well?

When you feel heat at the connection to the monitor I would worry about a short.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Nah it is just the brick, no real heat anywhere else. Are there other replacement cables that put out less heat by chance? I have been searching around a bit and I can't seem to find any consistent answers.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My laptop has the same issue, and I've found that some aftermarket ones put off slightly less heat but they still put off a ton. I've nearly burned myself on the unit before.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Hmm, alright then. It isn't so hot that my kids will instantly burn themselves if they touch it for some reason, but it still worries me how hot it is. I am going to try and figure out a way to tie it up under the desk and out of the way.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That's the purpose of a powerbrick to convert 120vac to 19vdc, that energy converted to heat gotta go somewhere. Some bricks are made good some are made in India, who knows.

i googled your monitor and this seems to be the adapter/brick
Components.jpg

seems to be your basic cheap adapter (since i'm assuming you bought the monitor for the samsung PLS panel), reviews seem to indicate it's a cheap korean adapter too,
ppl have recommended to get this replacement, less than 10bucks
Amazon.com: Replacement 60W 12V 5A Adapter Charger for Benq LCD Monitors: Computers Accessories

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I ended up ordering that one and it seems to have solved the heat issue. This one has been plugged in most of the day and it is barely warm to the touch.

Thanks for the help.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
overnight, my perfectly working mic stopped working.

It's properly detected in Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Sound / Manage audiodevices. No green bars however show up when I talk into

cGCbFoB.png

If I unplug it, it goes "not connected" and if I plug it in, realtek recognizes it right away as a mic

ZbdR1Ow.png

So far I
- rebooted
- tested a different mic
- tested a different 3.5mm port.

The speaker part of the headset is still working.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I think I found your problem... all of your language settings are for "German" instead of English.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Annoyed, and kinda miss 'POST beeps'. Restarted my computer... No video output, not lighting up the keyboard. No hint as to what's wrong. Really didn't want to spend my evening on this.

Pulled video card, plugged into the onboard... Nothing.

This very quickly turns into 'motherboard took a shit' territory, no?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have any experience with EVGA?

Bought their GTX 970, it was worthless out of the box. Monitoring it's heat it never breaks 70c but it black screens and reboots my PC when I load a game in Inquisition or GTA V while it's still loading the textures. EVGA tells me it's overheating and to set my fans to 100%. Fucking thing sounds like a Jet Engine, but Inquisition does load...odd. It wasn't blowing on the CPU or anything but right out the top of my PC, and I'm watching the heat profile non-stop on both my CPU's and the GTX. So I really don't know why it was crashing my PC.

So the guy tells me that's the fix... keep my fans on at 100% at all times. And worse, I see it on google as their "fix".

Are you fucking kidding me? I explained that's unacceptable, and I'm just going to return it. At which point he directs me to return it to EVGA, not Amazon (which was cheaper than Newegg)... I asked why. He said it's their job to handle customer service once the product is open. I laughed and hung up. Amazon sent a UPS guy over to my place that evening to pick it up and had refunded it even before the UPS guy showed up. Probably the last time I use EVGA but I had heard pretty good things in the past.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like the card was crap, I've got the super clocked version and I never hear it