Computer Issues

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There's a chance it could be bad. I received one from Amazon that was busted and had to be replaced. They're all china knockoffs anyways

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Recently noticed that one of my HD's in my Qnap NAS was failing the automatic test that's scheduled to run once a week or whatever. So I replaced that one with a new WD Red. Then I realized I hadn't updated the firmware for the NAS in forever, so I did that too. Prior to the firmware update, HD's 1 and 4 showed fine for SMART status, so I never really bothered looking at the individual entries. But with the new firmware, now they show up as "warning" for status. And the warning for both is that the "reallaocated_sector_CT" has a value now. One is 1, and the other is 7. I ran a bad sector scan and a complete SMART scan on both drives over the weekend, and both ran fine, turning up no further issues.

Should I be concerned that one or both of these drives are about to crater? Both have been running 24/7 for the better part of 5 years. One's got 30,000 powered up hours, with 7 bad sectors. The other has about 45,000 hours with just the 1 bad sector. Is that something to be worried about? All other SMART stuff is categorized as "good" for both drives.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Recently noticed that one of my HD's in my Qnap NAS was failing the automatic test that's scheduled to run once a week or whatever. So I replaced that one with a new WD Red. Then I realized I hadn't updated the firmware for the NAS in forever, so I did that too. Prior to the firmware update, HD's 1 and 4 showed fine for SMART status, so I never really bothered looking at the individual entries. But with the new firmware, now they show up as "warning" for status. And the warning for both is that the "reallaocated_sector_CT" has a value now. One is 1, and the other is 7. I ran a bad sector scan and a complete SMART scan on both drives over the weekend, and both ran fine, turning up no further issues.

Should I be concerned that one or both of these drives are about to crater? Both have been running 24/7 for the better part of 5 years. One's got 30,000 powered up hours, with 7 bad sectors. The other has about 45,000 hours with just the 1 bad sector. Is that something to be worried about? All other SMART stuff is categorized as "good" for both drives.
Usually once you start having bad sectors it's all downhill from there. I have never seen a drive develop a few bad sectors and stop there. That being said, if you've got a RAID 5 setup you can optionally just wait until one of them dies and replace it then without much worry. The chance that both drives go belly up at the same time is practically nil. Assuming it's non critical data and/or you've got a backup, I'd wait it out. Otherwise drives are so cheap now you can just be proactive and replace them now as you definitely will have to at some point in the near future.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yep, reallocated sectors is the funeral bell for a drive. If you're in any kind of redundant array who cares, just let them fail and replace, but they WILL fill so if you're not running redundancy replace them asap.

30,000+ hours is crazy high for for commercial grade drives, much less consumers if you're using those.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
my work email is being spoofed on a weekly basis (my contacts get emails from "me" with dodgy links inside but I'm not sending them)

Our IT guy is no use at all. Is there anything I can do to stop it happening? Ran malware/spyware checkers, anti virus and changed passwords

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
If the guy managing the e-mail infrastructure can't be arsed fixing it, I'm afraid this is out of those situations where you're shit out of luck.

Spoofing e-mail has been a nuisance for years, and there's legitimate reasons to do it - but unless something likeSender Policy Frameworkis enabled on the inbound mail server, I can't think of any way to stop it at the client.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
my work email is being spoofed on a weekly basis (my contacts get emails from "me" with dodgy links inside but I'm not sending them)

Our IT guy is no use at all. Is there anything I can do to stop it happening? Ran malware/spyware checkers, anti virus and changed passwords
Assuming you're using some kind of actual corporate email and not just a gmail account, no there is nothing you can do. If you're just using gmail or some shit it's your machine/password that is the issue.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

Check the email headers (or have one of your contacts send it back to you to see) so you can verify it's not coming from your email servers. If it isn't, you need SPF like Scaffa said. It'll prevent people from spoofing your domain (unless your work is dumb like my work, and says that too many people need to legitimately spoof sending from our domain). Who ever manages your DOMAIN would need to setup SPF record(s). If your local IT dude just does desktop shit, then it might not be him anyways.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Assuming you're using some kind of actual corporate email and not just a gmail account, no there is nothing you can do. If you're just using gmail or some shit it's your machine/password that is the issue.
Check the email headers (or have one of your contacts send it back to you to see) so you can verify it's not coming from your email servers. If it isn't, you need SPF like Scaffa said. It'll prevent people from spoofing your domain (unless your work is dumb like my work, and says that too many people need to legitimately spoof sending from our domain). Who ever manages your DOMAIN would need to setup SPF record(s). If your local IT dude just does desktop shit, then it might not be him anyways.
We use gmail for work which is all gmail but with our own domain names.

I get the spam/spoofed emails to a personal address and the IP addresses in the headers come from different Countries.

Can we set up the SPF thing with our gmail for work settings?

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
If the guy managing the e-mail infrastructure can't be arsed fixing it, I'm afraid this is out of those situations where you're shit out of luck.

Spoofing e-mail has been a nuisance for years, and there's legitimate reasons to do it - but unless something likeSender Policy Frameworkis enabled on the inbound mail server, I can't think of any way to stop it at the client.
We just filter everything through google apps. It works well, but it's the biggest pain in the ass to modify.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

Your "IT guy" is a retard then. Any basic mail gateway should be configured to reject spoofed email. If your mail server sends as @abcd.com, then it should know that it should never receive email from abcd.com since the only authoritative server allowed to send from that domain is itself. Your mail gateway should have a rule like that setup, with optionally some exceptions for certain outside mail servers that *may* be sending on your behalf, like for example salesforce.com.

SPF isn't a solution because soooo many organizations either don't have an SPF record at all, or have it misconfigured. If you reject email based on SPF, you will reject tons of legitimate email. At best, a "fail" on an SPF record should be used against a spam score weight, and not as an outright reject.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
We use gmail for work which is all gmail but with our own domain names.

I get the spam/spoofed emails to a personal address and the IP addresses in the headers come from different Countries.

Can we set up the SPF thing with our gmail for work settings?
Yes, google (or whoever handles your DNS) can setup SPF for google aps for enterprise. Google should have some decent articles about it, and if you use Google for DNS (which is relatively new), they have some easily-customized stuff.

Your "IT guy" is a retard then. Any basic mail gateway should be configured to reject spoofed email. If your mail server sends as @abcd.com, then it should know that it should never receive email from abcd.com since the only authoritative server allowed to send from that domain is itself. Your mail gateway should have a rule like that setup, with optionally some exceptions for certain outside mail servers that *may* be sending on your behalf, like for example salesforce.com.

SPF isn't a solution because soooo many organizations either don't have an SPF record at all, or have it misconfigured. If you reject email based on SPF, you will reject tons of legitimate email. At best, a "fail" on an SPF record should be used against a spam score weight, and not as an outright reject.
That's true if you don't use any other 3rd party services to handle sending email like marketing companies or Zendesk. With migration of shit to other companies for "services", it's a lot more common than it ever was before.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yes, google (or whoever handles your DNS) can setup SPF for google aps for enterprise. Google should have some decent articles about it, and if you use Google for DNS (which is relatively new), they have some easily-customized stuff.

That's true if you don't use any other 3rd party services to handle sending email like marketing companies or Zendesk. With migration of shit to other companies for "services", it's a lot more common than it ever was before.
Yes, that's why I explicitly stated "with exceptions for certain outside mail servers that send on your behalf, like salesforce.com"...... Same thing as your Zendesk example..

So, your mail gateway rule looks like:
When message is incoming, except where originating from (Marketing vendor IP's), and where it triggers "spoofing", reject the message.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yes, that's why I explicitly stated "with exceptions for certain outside mail servers that send on your behalf, like salesforce.com"...... Same thing as your Zendesk example..

So, your mail gateway rule looks like:
When message is incoming, except where originating from (Marketing vendor IP's), and where it triggers "spoofing", reject the message.
Well, that only affects incoming messages to HIS account, it doesn't fix it for OUTSIDE contacts receiving the messages, which SPF would (in theory, unless their email server doesn't honor SPF).

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Well, that only affects incoming messages to HIS account, it doesn't fix it for OUTSIDE contacts receiving the messages, which SPF would (in theory, unless their email server doesn't honor SPF).
Yes, if the remailers are sending to outside correspondents, AND he has an SPF record, then the SPF record simply needs to be modified to include the remailer IP/domain. If he doesn't have one at all it won't matter, because no organization is going to reject email in the absence of an SPF record, only one that returns a FAIL message (and even then most don't).

In any case, his example was in reference to him getting spoofed emails from his own address. Bottom line, their email gateway should reject that crap. It's mickey mouse level stuff for any mail admin worth his salt.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
In any case, his example was in reference to him getting spoofed emails from his own address. Bottom line, their email gateway should reject that crap. It's mickey mouse level stuff for any mail admin worth his salt.
No, I'm pissed off that my work contacts are getting emails from "me" with spam links in. What I said was I also get the emails to my personal account which allowed me to view the headers and see that each email is coming from a different Country/IP.

Can I stop the emails from being sent, if so how?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
No, I'm pissed off that my work contacts are getting emails from "me" with spam links in. What I said was I also get the emails to my personal account which allowed me to view the headers and see that each email is coming from a different Country/IP.

Usually when that happens, you have a virus on your computer.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

If they aren't from your mail gateway, it's because you don't have an SPF record in your DNS. If they're going out to your contacts, it's a decent chance that you have/had a virus that stole your contact list and/or is sending out to your list from a 3rd party mailer.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yep, reallocated sectors is the funeral bell for a drive. If you're in any kind of redundant array who cares, just let them fail and replace, but they WILL fill so if you're not running redundancy replace them asap.

30,000+ hours is crazy high for for commercial grade drives, much less consumers if you're using those.
Cool, thanks for the response from you and Frenzied Wombat. I'll probably just keep an eye on the bad sector count. For all I know those bad sectors showed up 3 years ago and no further have since. Or they all came up in the last month.

And yeah, the NAS has just been a mess of surplus drives I've slapped in over the years, so they're all consumer level Seagate or WD. The one new one I popped in when one of the drives was failing SMART tests continually was a WD Red, and I'll likely replace the rest accordingly as they begin to fail. Obviously having two drives that are down a few sectors makes me a bit nervous even with RAID5, but even then I feel fairly comfortable just waiting them out awhile longer. Not like HD's are getting more expensive.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

Nothing you can really do then, as the filtering is needed on your contacts' end. An SPF record will help somewhat, but again most organizations don't outright reject based upon SPF results.