Computer Issues

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have a wireless mouse on my mac and also have a Win 8.1 VM. I setup the VM to capture any new USB devices and take control because some SPI programmer wasn't working right.

Occasionally I'll unplug my mouse because LOL2USBPORTS and when I plug it back in I have to have the mac take control back. When I do this, the scroll speed on my mouse becomes x10,000 and the middle scroll wheel essentially becomes useless. A restart fixes it, but that's not always viable. Adjusting the scroll speed in system preferences > mouse does nothing. It only occurs on the mac, on the win VM scroll speed is fine.

Anyone got any ideas?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK here's an odd one:

My PC turns off as soon as WIN10 starts to boot once, every time. The entire boot sequence (I have it on POST so no errors being thrown) is fine up until that point. I immediately turn the PC on after and it boots fine the 2nd (or more) times. All SSDs and no bad sectors there. All fans running normal RPMs. PSUseemsto be fine, both rails look good. No faults or other errors on processor or RAM that I can detect.

??

Palum

what Suineg set it to
No, boot disk is sata 3 just plain jane (nothing but windows, Office and one or two other utility apps) then I have 2x sata 3 SSDs in raid 0 that I load my games on. I do have a 750GB WD caviar black that I store media on, also sata 3.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It only happens from a 'cold' start, so I doubt it.

It's not overclocked Also it's winter. Also the machine is liquid cooled. lol Pump is fine.

Does make me wonder if it's PSU/plug/mobo and something to do with power, though.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea, I thought so too but it doesn't seem like it. This morning it booted fine HOWEVER, I noticed after the windows 'swirl' started up, the underscore character appeared in the upper left, it did a carriage return and newline and tabbed over, then it reset and did it again before the windows logo came up.

Seems more likely this is the symptom of something else now. I'll try using default BIOS settings and running one of those RAM torture tests though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've heard of this quite a few times on Windows 10 from various people. All report that the first cold boot it won't detect an SSD but subsequent boots are fine.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Weird. It does fit some of the symptoms, it's almost like BIOS sees the drive fine and the boot loader gets ahead of itself and can't read the drive or certain portions of the Windows files it needs.

I'm not terribly concerned if it isn't doing any permanent damage and there's no hardware issue that would either. *shrug*

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I am having trouble with my new SSD and I'm pretty sure it's that the cables are working loose. I need to find something to wrap it up with. I'm not here to ask about that, just throwing it out there in case that's palum's problem.

I hope this is the right place to ask about software. Does anyone know of an extension or add on in firefox that will automatically resize all the pictures on a page to fit your screen? I've got one in FF that will do it individually, but I've got to click on each picture to get it done. I did it once or twice and it makes viewing the PGT a lot more nicer. But it's not worth all the extra work.

I'd be willing to use chrome for that thread too if they have one that works.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Read how some people have problem RAIDing m.2 and non-m.2 SSDs. Anyone have any personal experience?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Read how some people have problem RAIDing m.2 and non-m.2 SSDs. Anyone have any personal experience?
I wouldn't think you'd want to raid an M.2 ssd with a non M.2. You'd only slow the M.2 drive down. Isn't the M.2 drive using the equivalent of a PCIx4 bus?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
so I went out to the gym, came back and now I can't get any sound from my pc.

I have a Radeon HD7700 graphics card which is connected via HDMI to an Onkyo 626 receiver which is connected to my TV. I can still get sound from the receiver and speakers by connecting my phone through bluetooth to the receiver and playing music off the phone. I can still get the picture from the card to the TV but just without any sound. I've uninstalled all radeon drivers and reinstalled, I've also disabled and uninstalled the onboard realtek audio drivers. Pretty annoyed as I'm back at work tomorrow and wanted to spend this evening relaxing!

If I connect the graphics card straight into my TV then I get sound, which makes me think something is wrong with the receiver. I've tried connecting the graphics card into different HDMI inputs on the receiver but no luck.

I'm running windows 10

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you are using HDMI audio to your receiver. The issue is with the HDMI audio driver that comes with your video card. Ignore your sound card / sound card drivers.

Also, when you select Playback Devices under your Sound options, make sure the HDMI audio device is selected.

I'd start by downloading and re-installing the latest full video card driver package that includes the HDMI audio drivers.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
If you are using HDMI audio to your receiver. The issue is with the HDMI audio driver that comes with your video card. Ignore your sound card / sound card drivers.

Also, when you select Playback Devices under your Sound options, make sure the HDMI audio device is selected.

I'd start by downloading and re-installing the latest full video card driver package that includes the HDMI audio drivers.
Yeah, I've reinstalled all the latest drivers. I've been using this card, receiver and TV for last 2 years - I went to the gym and everything was working fine, left my pc/receiver turned on because bitorrent was seeding, turned the TV off. Came home as normal, turned TV on and no sound.

Oh, and troubleshooting audio problems says

"Plug in the speaker, headset or headphone
The peripheral does not appear to be plugged in"

Everything is set up as normal in the drivers - the receiver is selected as the default device, when I go into configure speakers I can choose 5.1 and when I hit test speakers the green bars move up and down to show that an audio signal is being sent - I just can't hear it.

My only option at this stage is a windows reinstall, or my friend can come over with an xbox 360 tomorrow and I can plug the 360 into the receiver and see if that works, or I bring my work laptop home

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I have two Samsung flatscreens, similar but slightly different sizes. One is hooked up via HDMI (main one), other is DVI or whatever that pin-based cable is. I've had this PC and these monitors for ~1.5 years, and I rarely turn the PC off, just the monitors when I'm not using it. Occasionally/intermittently over the past week or so, when I go to turn on the monitors, they come up blank, but don't complain about no input. On a hunch, I unplugged the HDMI for the main monitor and plugged it in again (to the sound of win7 going ba-donk, ba-dunk), and they both popped on again, and this has worked all 3-4 times that they've done it since.

Any ideas what's going on here? HDMI cable going bad? I can't think of something that would do this to both monitors, but I don't know too terribly much about the inner Win7 (and whatever else) workings of a dual monitor setup.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I hate computers. 3-4 hours last night trying to fix my audio issue, multiple reboots and fresh driver installs, finally gave up around 11pm and just plugged the gfx card straight into the TV which meant listening to stuff in stereo and not 5.1.

Came home from work today with my work laptop, a spare HDMI cable, turned on my desktop and all audio in 5.1 is working normally.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Weird. It does fit some of the symptoms, it's almost like BIOS sees the drive fine and the boot loader gets ahead of itself and can't read the drive or certain portions of the Windows files it needs.

I'm not terribly concerned if it isn't doing any permanent damage and there's no hardware issue that would either. *shrug*
I had similar issues with a high end new build a few months ago, with an Intel 750 SSD. Not sure which thread I posted about it in. In any case, that computer WILL NOT, no matter what, ever cold boot the first time. It hangs somewhere in or just after the POST, I think. To boot my computer up now, I first hit the power button, wait 5-10 seconds, and then hit the reset button, and on the restart it boots fine. I gave up trying to resolve it.