Computer Issues

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, that's how it used to look. The programs that max it out are changing constantly.
frown.png
It's not 1 or another constantly up top.

Edit: And it's not one doing it all. Literally the top 10 are in constant flux.
frown.png

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I overclock my CPU, and I'm pretty sure that I checked off the setting that makes my CPU speed variable? So it's not pegged at max speed constantly? Would this be why it's reading 100% constantly in the task manager?
Was it doing it before you OCed? I highly doubt anything you're running is actually requiring 100% from your CPU nor that it's some bug doing it. Most likely it's as you suspect and in OCing you created the situation. When I tinker with my OC I sometimes forget to change voltage back from fixed to adaptive, because it's bad to stress test with adaptive, but without adaptive my system will never throttle down and Windows gets confused and shows 100% usage even though the CPU isn't being used at 100% just running at 100%. So, test with manual, fixed settings to find values, then use those values as caps for adaptive. Also check that power options allow dropping the processor down to 5%? Also have seen the problem with the Asus AI Suite even if I'm only using it for fan settings it would sometimes get sticky and not allow the CPU to throttle down until I exited the program and restarted the computer after changing any values in the bios.

But surely you tested the system without OCing and it was stable and normal, right? Meaning it's probably just something the OC created that can be fixed with a setting.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah dude your pc shouldn't be under 100% load or even anywhere near it. I mean Google Drive was doing 66% at one point

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Disable your OC and see if it's still a problem. Could be a million things wrong with the OC settings.

That nvidia streamer service is garbage and needs to be disabled, unless you actually own one of those Shield things for some fucking reason.

Crone

Was it doing it before you OCed? I highly doubt anything you're running is actually requiring 100% from your CPU nor that it's some bug doing it. Most likely it's as you suspect and in OCing you created the situation. When I tinker with my OC I sometimes forget to change voltage back from fixed to adaptive, because it's bad to stress test with adaptive, but without adaptive my system will never throttle down and Windows gets confused and shows 100% usage even though the CPU isn't being used at 100% just running at 100%. So, test with manual, fixed settings to find values, then use those values as caps for adaptive. Also check that power options allow dropping the processor down to 5%? Also have seen the problem with the Asus AI Suite even if I'm only using it for fan settings it would sometimes get sticky and not allow the CPU to throttle down until I exited the program and restarted the computer after changing any values in the bios.

But surely you tested the system without OCing and it was stable and normal, right? Meaning it's probably just something the OC created that can be fixed with a setting.
Yeah, system has been stable and normal for years, and then I OC'ed to 4.3Ghz, and ran prime95 and it remained stable. Couple freezes, but for the most part it's been great. The problem is I haven't ever noticed any slow down or problem, but just happened to notice it yesterday that it's remaining at 100%. I double checked, and it's still at adaptive voltage, and CPUID/CPUZ confirms that, although the odd part is that bios says my multiplier is at 43, but CPUZ says anywhere from 16-37. So not sure how that works.
frown.png

do you have win10 and asus mb? update bios
I just upgraded to Win10. The OC was done under Windows 7. But I have an ASRock MB. Still worth updating the BIOS though. Will do that right now.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Disable your OC and see if it's still a problem. Could be a million things wrong with the OC settings.

That nvidia streamer service is garbage and needs to be disabled, unless you actually own one of those Shield things for some fucking reason.
All of this is correct.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm having a Win8 issue with my sound settings for my Dell. I configure my speakers to use Stereo so I can hear voice overs in Starcraft 2 and FFXIV but every time it reboots the setting will change shortly after load back to 5.1 Surround (which is what my setup actually is). Is this some asinine windows setting or some dumb OCD software quirk?

Crone

All of this is correct.
Disabled the OC, and CPU is still pegged at 100% according to task manager. I'm not sure at this point. Shutting everything down I can to see what still is pegging it at 100%...

Edit: Ok, I feel this is a bug of some kind. Watched the list, after shutting everything down, and at times, it never added up to 100%, but the number on top would still say 100%. wtf? Of course I re-open Firefox, and it pegs it at times using 80-90% of my CPU? Bull shit. Going to Google to figure out more stuff.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Did you update your BIOS?

If its not adding up to 100% there's probably some hidden tasks. Sure you don't have a botnet running or anything?

Caliane

Hard drive failed on Friday. scared the shit out if me for awhile.

System Hard froze up, while working. No response. no task manager. had to restart manually pushing reset.
all attempts to reboot would hang up on. system32/drivers/classpnp.sys.

After some freaking out for a while. found lots of "reinstall windows, and shit..." one, "topic solved, "HDD is bad" which that one made sense. And, first thing I actually tried.
system has 3 HD. NEWish 125 gb SSD for windows/ps. old 500gb, and newish 1TB.
Prayed it was the old.. and it was. Unhooked 500gb and 1 TB HDD's and it booted.
Put 1 TB drive back, and it booted.

old 500Gb was a Seagate Barracuda. checking date code just now, "2008-07-23"

In further hindsight there was even a clicking noise the last week or so, I could not identify, at the time. even pulled side off, checking all the fans on wed or thursday.

Good news, pretty sure nothing was lost. the drive was being used entirely for archive.

working files on the 1TB. +archive there. Archive in that second harddrive. Archive on an external backup.
(only lacking an offsite archive.)

Crone

Did you update your BIOS?

If its not adding up to 100% there's probably some hidden tasks. Sure you don't have a botnet running or anything?
Pretty sure... lol... Avast and malwarebytes have been run. Any other suggestions for things to run to clean things up?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This will fuck up any custom BIOS settings but if you have a CMOS jumper you can reset the CMOS or just pull the battery for 60 seconds.

It will reset your BIOS settings to defaults, but it will clear any errant bad settings.

Crone

This will fuck up any custom BIOS settings but if you have a CMOS jumper you can reset the CMOS or just pull the battery for 60 seconds.

It will reset your BIOS settings to defaults, but it will clear any errant bad settings.
Updated BIOS and now my computer won't start up. BIOS was from 2012, was latest from AS Rock and I can get into BIOS and it looks different so I know it was updated, but it gives me an error when I start up about inaccessible boot device.

A little Google searching and apparently it's not an uncommon problem for Windows 10. I'm able to boot into recovery it looks like where it gives me all sorts of options about system restores and otherwise. None have worked, and my boot drives are recognized and set correctly in bios.

Any suggestions so I don't have to complete wipe and reinstall windows? I did the free upgrade recently for Windows 10 so I don't have a boot CD or USB drive. Guess I'd have to bust out the laptop to get that, and would just rather not deal with all of that.

Thsnks guys.

Crone

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=625&

Found this thread that pertains exactly to my issues. Others tried updating their bios because of the 100% cpu utilization problem, and are having same issues.

After reading the first page I'm a bit disillusioned. The response from support is that their board doesn't support Windows 10! There's 4 more pages of replies I'm reading through to figure out if someone found a fix.

TL;DR: As Rock didn't test their bios updates on Windows 10 and its fucking up people's computers.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
God damnit. I work with ASRock and they seemed pretty solid, what the fuck are they doing.

Can you try this?

Like the last person, I am yet another person who achieved SUCCESS with

1. Changing SATA mode to AHCI. (Both with the top controller and the marvell one)

2. Booting into Safe Mode once first.
If not, you may need to buy a BIOS chip for them. Thankfully for you (and ASRock), they didn't solder the BIOS chips to the board.