Computer Issues

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
LOL! holy fucking shit

So people were saying to boot into safe mode, like you posted, but I couldn't find where to boot into safe mode from the F11 boot menu, but the weird trouble shooting that windows was giving me had a "change startup options" thing, so I did that and one of the options was safe mode.

Anyway, so I try booting into safe mode, and it says something about an update didn't work, please wait. Few minutes later, I load just fine back into Windows 8.1!

LOL

Fucking AS Rock, or probably more accurate, fuck Windows 10?!

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
LOL! holy fucking shit

So people were saying to boot into safe mode, like you posted, but I couldn't find where to boot into safe mode from the F11 boot menu, but the weird trouble shooting that windows was giving me had a "change startup options" thing, so I did that and one of the options was safe mode.

Anyway, so I try booting into safe mode, and it says something about an update didn't work, please wait. Few minutes later, I load just fine back into Windows 8.1!

LOL

Fucking AS Rock, or probably more accurate, fuck Windows 10?!
Both of them. Win10 has been coming for a long time, they should have updated the BIOS for it already.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Unless you have more than 4-6 hdds/ssds there's no reason to keep that marvel controller enabled.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I was pruning wasted storage on my SSD because I'd gotten down to the 21Gb remaining. I noticed my Users folder was pretty high at 20Gb and found what I thought were orphaned installation files. Turns out I installed something at some point that also installed an ethereum miner. I felt pretty stupid, especially after I ran the recommended anti-malware and it picked it up almost immediately. It was running under a process called JavaUpdate or something like that so I'm sure I saw it in the processes and didn't give it a second thought.

Live and learn, I guess? Anyway, just wanted to share with you bros as a friendly reminder to do a scan now and then or you'll be part of a vast russian conspiracy to farm ethereum like me.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was pruning wasted storage on my SSD because I'd gotten down to the 21Gb remaining. I noticed my Users folder was pretty high at 20Gb and found what I thought were orphaned installation files. Turns out I installed something at some point that also installed an ethereum miner. I felt pretty stupid, especially after I ran the recommended anti-malware and it picked it up almost immediately. It was running under a process called JavaUpdate or something like that so I'm sure I saw it in the processes and didn't give it a second thought.

Live and learn, I guess? Anyway, just wanted to share with you bros as a friendly reminder to do a scan now and then or you'll be part of a vast russian conspiracy to farm ethereum like me.
What'd you use to scan? Malwarebytes?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
What'd you use to scan? Malwarebytes?
Zemana AntiMalware is what I used. It was recommended in the reddit thread I stumbled across while googling.

Edit: Unsurprisingly, games that were chugging or sub-60 FPS on some settings are running quite smoothly now. Makes me wonder how long this has been there. Sigh.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

Good advice for anyone.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ccleaner only does so much, i use winhttrack to manually check shit twice a year, anyone have any better, simpler, auto options, all ears.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Spent an hour this morning fucking around with BIOS settings. Must have booted the thing 100 times. First I wanted to mess around with the BIOS before I start yanking anything out. It would appear that you're likely right, without having pulled the SSD as yet. I messed around with various fast foot and UEFI settings, and none of them seemed to make any difference whatsoever. I did discover that the ultra-fast boot mode didn't play nice with my K95 keyboard. I couldn't get in to the BIOS in that mode, I had to let it boot to Windows and then hold shift while restarting to get in to the advanced options. It wouldn't register keystrokes during boot-up in ultra fast mode, for whatever reason. But the fast mode works fine. Meh.

I'll try removing the SSD and/or using it in a different slot when I've got some more time to fiddle. At this point it appears that the Intel 750 SSD just doesn't power up fast enough for the mobo's liking, and it hangs the start-up like you said. If it's already got power, whether from a restart within Windows or simply hitting the reset button on a hung start-up, everything is kosher. If I disable the SSD as a boot option and just leave USB and/or DVD enabled, then it boots fine and asks for a valid system disk. If I deleted ALL boot options entirely, it did act a bit strangely. Most of the time it would simply boot up and go to the BIOS automatically without hitting any keys. But twice, from a cold start, it went ahead and booted to Win10 off the SSD anyways. Which I found really odd. It did that twice out of probably 6-8 times I tried cold booting with zero available boot options in the BIOS.

I used the latest Intel SSD Toolbox, and the firmware is up to date and no errors were found during the thorough check, but I suppose that's only checking the integrity of the memory itself. I might try cloning the drive to another, older, SATA SSD I have laying around and see how the system behaves.
Flash from the past! Pun intended? So I'd just been tolerating having to hit the power button, wait 10 seconds, and then hit the reset button in order to get the computer to boot. I hadn't really been keeping an eye on BIOS updates, but there was a new BIOS from March or April that I updated to a couple days ago and it now appears that the computer will actually cold boot now, without hanging on the first try. Joy. Of course, the BIOS update blew up my Windows Activation and necessitated a half hour of fucking around with MS Support to get it activated again. Because it would have just been too easy without some extra fucking around, of course.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I'm having some issues in my cheap little i3 dell laptop I have been using for day to day surfing and shit. A few days ago I got all drunk and accidentally clicked the fucking windows 10 update. (It had win 7 before). Its relatively clean other than some pictures and shit. Pretty much stock programs, have not installed too much on this thing. Anyway my 3.5mm headphone jack does not work anymore. It worked perfect before the win 10 update. Ive tried to upgrade the drivers, etc. On some older ones they show up in the sound tab, but it does not recognize them. With the newer drivers, the headphones don't even show up at all. Fuck, help me out bros. ITs a dell inspiron 3542.

I hear its a common problem with win 10 but for the live of me I cannot figure out a fix.
So what I did is update the chipset, flash the bios, and now the headphones finally work.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone know if there's a way to make a bat file that would assign a drive a custom letter, start something else then remove the drive letter after being one?

Yeah, trying to create a rather simplistic backup to guard against them crypto viruses.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
so someone tell me my ssd is not fucked...

its a 240gig ssd about a year or so old, its my boot/os drive and has windows on it. last night while running dragon soul with the wife for the ~60th time on the spine(she WANTS that azure drake), i blue screened (windows 10) and coming off the reboot, it gave me the no boot drive error, rebooted, no boot drive. got into bios and no ssd drive listed under sata. took the ssd our of my case, inserted the ssd into and usb sata enclosure, went to my son's computer and plugged it in and....nothing, no drive listed.

looking quickly on that type of error for an ssd, pretty much all of them say...DEAD drive..

i had a 2TB drive i bought a few weeks ago(i was starting to buy the parts to rebuild my son's computer) and brought my computer back from the dead by installing windows 10 via usb, then have started reinstalling my games and software....(by the time it was 3am)

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
so someone tell me my ssd is not fucked...

its a 240gig ssd about a year or so old, its my boot/os drive and has windows on it. last night while running dragon soul with the wife for the ~60th time on the spine(she WANTS that azure drake), i blue screened (windows 10) and coming off the reboot, it gave me the no boot drive error, rebooted, no boot drive. got into bios and no ssd drive listed under sata. took the ssd our of my case, inserted the ssd into and usb sata enclosure, went to my son's computer and plugged it in and....nothing, no drive listed.

looking quickly on that type of error for an ssd, pretty much all of them say...DEAD drive..

i had a 2TB drive i bought a few weeks ago(i was starting to buy the parts to rebuild my son's computer) and brought my computer back from the dead by installing windows 10 via usb, then have started reinstalling my games and software....(by the time it was 3am)
If its not coming up as a slave drive, or isnt accessible in any which way, sounds dead to me. Who's the manufacturer? Might be worth it to check the warranty info for it to see if they'll replace it for free.