Computer Issues

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i before e, except after c

do you have dual dvi? try swapping one connection to another, or unplug all and connect each tv source slowly or one at a time, if nothing happens, eh, but sometimes, the pc doesn't recognize the signal.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
i before e, except after c

Thanks, Grammar Lady.

jeffvader, there is usually a secondary driver for HDMI Audio for most graphics cards. Make sure that you have that installed. A lot of driver packages do both installs at once but some don't, especially when they're reference drivers and not OEM bundled.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i just build a new computer, gave my computer (except hard drives) to my son and he had an issue with the computer running like crap, figured it out but wonder if anyone knows WHY it would make the computer run like crap.

motherboard is an asrock fatality am3 (amd) motherboard. cpu an amd umm phenom? x6 , video card is an amd rx380- 16gig ram a samsung 250gig ssd and a wdblack 2tb hard drive..and the culprit was.

The Keyboard. his keyboard (and older logitech keybard (it is like 10yrs old)) with a ps2 plug was the culprit. i noticed when trying to troubleshoot that i couldn't type and neither the numlock or caps lot lights lit when pressed, pulled the plug, plugged it back in, it worked..for about 5 seconds then froze again- rebooted- same issue...pulled that keyboard, grabbed a spare cheap usb keyboard we have and..the issue went away, computer was speedy, his games were playing ~60fps etc... bought him a corsair strafe rgb silent replacement keyboard...now he just has to get used to the new keyboard.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Off the top of my head, sounds like an IRQ conflict. Not an issue with USB devices because it's a completely different bus.

If you want to check, you could manually change the IRQ settings in the BIOS, but honestly, you've found a solution. I'd just ignore it.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
heh ya i am in the never use ps2 again frame of mind personally, it was just weird.
hell at work i am using a ~15yr old dell keyboard, thing is built like a tank. after 15 years of use 8hr a day 5days a week only a few keys show any wear.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
They don't make em like they used to. I play WoW on a ~20 year old gaming keyboard and the thing is a rock, although some of the keys are definitely worn at this point. I need to replace that thing. lol

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Anyone ever had issue with the releasing the ipconfig? Long story short my son kept experiencing random disconnects while gaming. Did a few google searches and one fix was the cmd prompt ipconfig /release and the /renew it. Well I did that and now I can't connect to the internet on any computer. Restarted the modem and pc and still not connection. Did a dsn flush and that didn't work either. The network is stuck in private and is unidentified and I cannot change it from public to home/private. Called up cox and my problem got escalated to tier 2, tried numerous things and still no avail. They said the modem is bad and the modem can send out but can't receive data. It can't get a new IP address from dchp server after it was released and renewed. I don't know shit about networking so this has me lost. Top it off the wifi was working and now it's no longer working. Any suggestions other than a new modem. Making sure it's nothing on my end.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is there a reset pin on it? One of those tiny buttons you can press with a paper clip? You could try to reset it to default settings by probably holding that in?

Also ty unplugging for 90s then plug back in

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is there a reset pin on it? One of those tiny buttons you can press with a paper clip? You could try to reset it to default settings by probably holding that in?

Also ty unplugging for 90s then plug back in

But the ipconfig /release /renew commands are Windows based. It shouldn't effect the router. I assume you only did the release / renew on 1 machine?

The fact all of your machines can't connect is definitely pointing to the router, but the ipconfig stuff should have no bearing on the modem whatsoever.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Right, it sounded like a hardware issue to me and not related to the IP config. That's why I recommended it

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
If the router is a combo modem/router then it can be giving shit IP or not even serving DHCP properly anymore (so Windows will pull a 169. address).

Nola

Trakanon Raider
If the router is a combo modem/router then it can be giving shit IP or not even serving DHCP properly anymore (so Windows will pull a 169. address).
Yes it is a router/modem combo and that what it was doing, pulling a 169 address. So I went to Cox and exchanged it for a newer model and now everything is working perfectly. Thanks for the help guys.

• 1Solidarity

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yes it is a router/modem combo and that what it was doing, pulling a 169 address. So I went to Cox and exchanged it for a newer model and now everything is working perfectly. Thanks for the help guys.
169.254.*.* is a private self-referencing range (basically). If you see that on a Windows box, the box is not getting DHCP addressing properly. The modem MIGHT have been able to be fixed for it, but that is the reason I use an ISP supplied dumb-modem and my own router (soon to be my own dumb-modem).

the /release and /renew are you saying "I don't want my old DHCP address" and then "I want a NEW DHCP address."
You got a 169.254.x.x because your modem wasn't giving it out properly (if at all).

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

I would definitely suggest getting your own standalone router when you can. Combo router/modems are almost universally crap.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I would definitely suggest getting your own standalone router when you can. Combo router/modems are almost universally crap.

I'm curious as to what/why? I've had a motorola sbg6580 or something like that for like 10 years and never really had any problems with it