Computer Issues

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's probably not only the MBR, it's also the BCD store (subtle difference)

You will need to create a BCD store on the Windows 10 drive that points at the Windows 10 installation.

From the recovery console:

Type Bootrec /fixmbr

Type Bootrec /fixboot

Type Bootrec /scanos and press the enter key.

Type Bootrec /rebuildbcd and press the enter key.
yup.

Lesson for the next clean reinstall UNPLUG EVERY FUCKING DRIVE BESIDES BOOT DRIVE, when you install OS, fuck disconnect the NAS too, windows is dumb that way.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
So my desktop has started to just freeze 3-4 times a day. On one occasion it got a BSOD with partmgr.sys related to the Driver IRQ not less or equal message. I've run some basic diagnostics on disk/file system, memory, etc but nothing has come back. When it freezes everything just stops. The screen stays the same and my mouse/keyboard don't move. If sound is playing I get whatever sound was playing at the time just repeating rapidly so I know it's not my mouse/keyboard dying. All I'm doing at the time is browsing the internet. I'm currently on Windows 7 and it's up to date and my antivirus coming back clean.

Any suggestions or better tests? If I end up having to redo Windows, how bad is going from 7 to 10?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Post your system specs plz.

I'd suggest this to start...

Step 1) Run memtest to make sure the RAM hasn't crapped out on you.

Step 2) If memtest passes, check your BIOS. Is it up-to-date? If not, update it.

Step 3) Make sure your drivers are up to date. Reinstall chipset and SATA drivers if they're already up to date.

Step 4) ...let's see if any of that fixes it.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Ran memtest already and all was well, same with chkdsk

Basic Specs:
ASUS P8B75-V
Intel Core i7-3770
MSI GeForce GTX 670
SAMSUNG 840 Series 2.5" 250GB SATA III
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3

I've never updated the BIOS so I can start there and then move on to drivers. The video card is updated but everything else doesn't get an update.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Personally I would just reinstall. Maybe its time for that bigger faster SSD youve been eying. Backup your data and just start fresh. Re-download latest chipset drivers and all that shit, put it all on thumb drive. Then get win 10 install. Its better IMO.

Honestly its pretty rare to get hard lockups and BSOD in anything past Win XP.

Last edited:

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I just finished updating so I'll see how it goes. Pretty much everything had an update available, even my video card. For some reason it hadn't notified me that a new driver was available. I only use this thing for browsing the internet on work from home days and as a Plex server (movies are not on SSD). I haven't gamed much in the last year, even on consoles. If it starts goofing up at this point I'll go with a fresh install.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Windows 10 1703 doesn't work with any Realtek drivers I install and I can't seem to fix it. Fucking Windows 10...

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Just wanted to drop by and say FUCK ITUNES IN THE ASS.

Never seen such a piece of bloated garbage. I've tried installing it on two fresh Windows 10 PC's and it freezes, crashes, and takes the whole fucking computer with it. Installs like fucking 5 different apps, half of which won't even uninstall. FUCK YOU APPLE.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just wanted to drop by and say FUCK ITUNES IN THE ASS.

Never seen such a piece of bloated garbage. I've tried installing it on two fresh Windows 10 PC's and it freezes, crashes, and takes the whole fucking computer with it. Installs like fucking 5 different apps, half of which won't even uninstall. FUCK YOU APPLE.
Time to upgrade to samsung. And start using Google music cloud.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Time to upgrade to samsung. And start using Google music cloud.

If I didn't have a bunch of coin invested in Itunes apps I would.. When I convert to Islam it's going to be a toss up between suicide bombing Apple or AT&T, can't determine which I hate more.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
EDIT: Going to cross-post this in the Overwatch thread.

I bought the following laptop for my kid last year:

Lenovo 17.3" Y700 (80Q0008XUS) Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 16 GB DDR4 Memory 256 GB SSD 1 TB HDD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop

It's been pretty good except that he has a lot of issues with it overheating when playing Overwatch, which is his main thing. It seems that Blizzard knows this is a common issue as there is a giant thread bitching about it and they have a sticky to address it. He tried turning off VSync and that didn't help, so it seems that the only other answer will be to limit it to 30 f/s?

I talked to Lenovo support yesterday and their answer was "LOL not our problem, min specs are 4GB but recommended specs are 6GB LOL".

Has anyone else run into this? Seems like this is mainly a Blizzard design issue since there are plenty of desktops reporting the problem but it's a bullshit answer from Lenovo.

EDIT - Thought I should probably quantify this. Temp is getting up as high as 95C and when it does the game starts stuttering. How, when, and how often this happens is not predictable.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
When you say overheat is it turning off? Or is it just really hot?

My gaming laptop sounded and felt like a jet engine when I'd play wow.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
My laptop is like yours- pretty loud any time the video card is being used. The one that is overheating, not as much, but it helps that the vent exhaust goes out the back (mine comes out the side). It's not actually shutting down but the video starts stuttering like a frame will freeze for a few seconds then update, and so on. It correlates with temperature pushing in to the 90s C.

kudos

<Banned>
Have you tried using a laptop cooling pad? They are either shit and actually make them hotter or really good. You just have to find a good one and they actually work.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I looked at some last night. It seems like the side-mounted vacuum style are more effective but this laptop only has one side vent and a wide one on the rear, too wide for any of the products I have seen.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I have a retail disc of Windows 7, which I installed on my machine, then allowed it to upgrade Windows 10 when it became available. If I understand the license shit correctly, I will have to purchase a retail copy of Windows 10 if I want to reinstall, since the Windows 7 license no longer allows for a free upgrade to Win10, right?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
So I have a retail disc of Windows 7, which I installed on my machine, then allowed it to upgrade Windows 10 when it became available. If I understand the license shit correctly, I will have to purchase a retail copy of Windows 10 if I want to reinstall, since the Windows 7 license no longer allows for a free upgrade to Win10, right?

According to this article Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet as of May you could still upgrade for free. No idea what the current status is.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
My mouse for my PC moves around quite a bit when I don't even have my hand on it. Updated my drivers and shit yesterday but it didn't fix the problem. For some reason there isn't a re-calibration option available to me. Anyone know how to go about fixing this?