Computer security

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Might be an issue with the DNS service that it's set to forward to. Internet dying the second it becomes your DNS server usually indicates it can't reach the resolver it's forwarding to to lookup/cache that info locally.

Looking into training/CBT for some of the easier entry level certs like Security+ would be good since it's applicable to both work and personal use and might even give you some ideas on where you'd like to focus or specialize. (Sorry if a little broad but security in general is a massive space lately)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
How well do you trust your tools? Vesta Control Panel..... lol.... aaah the irony. From Vestacp Vesta Control Panel :
You can always inspect the code and make sure it's backdoor free and has no spying modules.

Open source means you can modify the code yourself if you need to.

Someone definitely felt a *need to* modify the source. From (ARS Tech) : Two new supply-chain attacks come to light in less than a week

Poisoning the source
“The VestaCP installation script was altered to report back generated admin credentials to vestacp.com after a successful installation,” Eset Malware Researcher Marc-Étienne M.Léveillé told Ars. “We don’t know exactly when this happened, but the modified installation script was visible in their source code management on GitHub between May 31 and June 13.”

Funny stuff.

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
How well do you trust your tools? Vesta Control Panel..... lol.... aaah the irony. From Vestacp Vesta Control Panel :

Someone definitely felt a *need to* modify the source. From (ARS Tech) : Two new supply-chain attacks come to light in less than a week

Funny stuff.

There was another case recently where I think Filezilla had a supply chain attack where their repo was modified with a malware package bundled into it, apparently not the first time either. The guy/team behind Filezilla are a bunch of dickheads though apparently so WinSCP will remain as my go-to.

On the topic of VPNs there's so much FUD and crap going around about who to trust, even paid ones. I still use Nord in cases where I cannot trust the local network i'm connected to (hotel/hotspot etc..) but the reasoning behind some of the concern is sound in my book from a "reasonably paranoid" standpoint. VPN companies especially those operating within US/EU can claim they don't store logs about your activity but it is in their best interest to do so. The $20 a month or year or whatever payment cycle you give them does not mean they're going to just fall on a sword for you if you do something via their network that is bad (copyright infringement/vuln scanning etc..)

The whole "You gotta VPN bruh" thing has given a lot of people a lot of false assumptions about their security or anonymity.

edit: to clarify, not referencing anyone here on this board just conversations in the past with people who see it as some panacea to security concerns.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
  • 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Any good, current year appropriate sources to read about hacking and how to do it and understand it? I'm really getting interested in the subject again after 15 years of not paying attention and I'd love to have some resources to start on a path to understanding the modern landscape.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have two humble bundles worth of titles on the subject of penetration testing, forensics, incident response and malware analysis if that's of any interest.

[PentesterLab] Learn Web Penetration Testing: The Right Way is a decent resource to begin learning the ins and outs of attacking targets if that's something you're interested in. It does have a monthly fee for some material but it's worth it if you're learning the basics.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I have two humble bundles worth of titles on the subject of penetration testing, forensics, incident response and malware analysis if that's of any interest.

[PentesterLab] Learn Web Penetration Testing: The Right Way is a decent resource to begin learning the ins and outs of attacking targets if that's something you're interested in. It does have a monthly fee for some material but it's worth it if you're learning the basics.

Thanks for the info! I'm mainly looking into modern IT security vs actual threats rather than IT security theory. It's my belief that IT security will continue to be a huge market while other things become more and more automated in the workforce.

• 1Like

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Makes sense, the mentality of "slap in a box" is kind of an issue at the moment, it doesn't work without people with the contextual knowledge to make sense of alerts or potential security threats. Outsourcing is definitely big in the space which I personally hate because you're basically paying people to care about your company and its security which usually means they'll do what they're contractually obligated to vs what should be done. If you want to take a look at any of the materials I mentioned shoot me a PM.

Incident Response is definitely booming at this point, most organizations have no plan/clue how to address a security incident and with all of the wide scale compromises going on lately it can be the difference between a contained "Hey this happened but never fear we stopped it quickly" and an Equifax level failure at basic security. You also get to run table tops which is exactly what it sounds like, InfoSec DND but without the dice :p

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users