Computer Speakers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My Bose speakers are dying on me after almost 15 years of use. I've heard Bose ain't what it used to be and is mad overpriced now (though the Mini SoundLink is one of the best bluetooth speakers out there). Any good recommendations out there for speakers? I prefer the small size of the Bose speakers (2.5") if I go for desktop speakers and a subwoofer is absolutely necessary. I would consider a wireless 5.1 setup. Note that I can't crank them to a loud volume except for weekday days when everyone else is at work. So I'm not looking for overkill here. But sound quality is really important.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I wouldnt mind tagging along in this thread for other general speaker recommendations. For me good sound for games good but I dont crank it like I used to, except if im trying to piss wife off with a new EDM/Dub song. For me, it's more about being somewhat thrifty balanced with quality. (Previous were Razor mako speakers I won in the world of warcraft mountain dew promotion.) Those shit themselves twice with shitty capacitors and I'm tired of finding someone to fix them. Anything pretty good/decent for $80-200?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I wouldnt mind tagging along in this thread for other general speaker recommendations. For me good sound for games good but I dont crank it like I used to, except if im trying to piss wife off with a new EDM/Dub song. For me, it's more about being somewhat thrifty balanced with quality. (Previous were Razor mako speakers I won in the world of warcraft mountain dew promotion.) Those shit themselves twice with shitty capacitors and I'm tired of finding someone to fix them. Anything pretty good/decent for $80-200?
Amazon.com: Micca MB42X Bookshelf Speakers (Black): Electronics

Bit long...But great review.

Z Review - Micca MB42X - YouTube

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have Klipsch s4i headphones and they are pretty good. Obviously don't know about the speakers but I think the headphones are excellent. I'd defer to Brahma on all things audio (minus guitar amps).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Is Klipsch still good? I know they were really good when I worked at Best Buy.

Amazon.com: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System (Black): Electronics
Yeah I have those and they are good. Loud enough that we use them on my computer to jam when were drinking and shit. completely got rid of my standalone sound ystem and just use the computer now for music. Loud enough to fill my entire house, 2K Sqft ranch with loud ass sound. The subwoofer could be a bit better and of course it always matters if the recordings you have are not shit. I have some older mp3 and shitty bit rate that sound like garbage, but thats not the speakers problem. The only neg I would give these speakers is the volume and bass knob you have to be careful with on the RH speaker. Ive had these things for like 3 yrs now and whenever I fuck with the volume knob there is a bit of staticky shit going on so its only a matter of time when the knobs go bad. But then again I have 2 teenagers that fuck around with this computer so take that into consideration too. But overall I would rate them a solid 8/10 for quality/sound and volume considering the price. I think I paid like $100 or some shit on sale in Best Buy.

I did own a Boston acoustic 5 speaker set BA7800 before them in which I only used 3 of 5 and the sub woofer was bigger and the speakers sounded better and overall more decibels. But you cannot buy those anymore, too bad.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I always end up using the logitech 5.1 systems - I have the Z-5500 and love the sound from it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Is Klipsch still good? I know they were really good when I worked at Best Buy.

Amazon.com: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System (Black): Electronics
Picked up that setup to replace a really, really old 5.1 Logitech setup. I'm really enjoying it so far. It's way the fuck too powerful for most of my PC usage, in all honesty. But I've found myself using that PC for playing music in my space more often now than taking the time to fire up the projector and HTPC in order to play music on the full home theater setup (they're setup on opposite walls facing each other). Those two little speakers (they're not little compared to most computer speakers I guess) fill my place with sound just fine.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Depends really on what you need the speakers for. Is your computer your main entertainment area? Do you have another, nicer system for audio?

I would get a decent 2.1 system for general purpose and a 7.1 headset for gaming. The surround sound speaker systems are really becoming a thing of the past unless you're talking about a full theater room.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I know these are not "computer speakers" but I just picked up one of these on amazon. UE Boom. I fell in love in Verizon shop where they had this thing playing filling the whole dam place with good sounding sound. It was a big place too, like 30' x 30' it was amazing sounding.

Wife wanted one of these speakers for our vacations and shit. I cant wait to get it.

rrr_img_135080.jpg

10-15 hrs of power Its like charge it once a week.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
What are people using these days? I've got a set of Companion 5s that are driving me nuts. They go into standby when there hasn't been any audio for a couple minutes because I'm controlling them through a mixer instead of the PC.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Bose Speakers

I just bought these a few months ago. Probably the best "bang for your buck" speakers around. Amazing that such awesome bass and sounds can come from such a small set of speakers that don't have a sub-woofer attached.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm still a fan of Logitech. Have been since their amazing Z5500 system. Mine died after like 10 years of use, so I picked up this one and it works great.

Harder to setup (you need to connect the supplied speaker wire), but it sounds great. I wish the system were a little smaller, but that's alright. Expensive, but sounds great.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Bose Speakers

I just bought these a few months ago. Probably the best "bang for your buck" speakers around. Amazing that such awesome bass and sounds can come from such a small set of speakers that don't have a sub-woofer attached.

People say Bose is overpriced, but I've been 100% satisfied with both Bose purchases in my time. I have these Logitech speakers, and they're just nowhere near as good. In sound quality and quality of the product itself. Might go back to Bose. I had Bose speakers for 15 fucking years before they died on me. Exceptional product.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I might end up w/ a Logitech 5.1 setup.

The Bose Companion 5s are so good, just so frustrated w/ the auto-standby.