Copy (possible Dropbox replacement), free 20gb cloud storage

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Supports windows/osx/linux, every mobile OS that matters (android, ios, wp8), seems slick as hell so far. Uploads are fast, downloads were capping my internet connection. 15gb for free, 20gb with a referral link.

Register here to give it a shot:https://copy.com?r=fZXhm3

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Looked at the basic site, and I can't tell if it is similar to Dropbox in that all I need to do is save stuff to a directory, or like some of the others I've tried where you have to go through more convoluted steps. Care to give us a little summary so maybe we're more inclined to click?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Went ahead and installed it since it is free and I get tons of spam at that email anyway. For those wondering like I was, it is basically Dropbox with another name and icon, from what I can see.

Free space is free space, so might as well.

EDIT: Naming the folder "Copy" seems rather dumb though. Too easy to get that mixed up with something else I'd imagine.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You can change the default path and name of the folder iirc. And yes, it's functionally just Dropbox, but it's more storage for free, with possibilities of even more if you can game their referral system. Still working on that last bit, as I can't quite seem to pin down what it's using to verify "unique" devices for install.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
With the larger size, I'm actually thinking of putting everyone at work on it (10 people or so) because periodically someone's computer crashes and then everything they had saved on their desktop and not the server folder I told them to save it to is gone. Since a "server folder" seems to baffle them as soon as I say it, perhaps they'll have better luck just choosing the "Copy" folder which I'll rename to something with their name in it. I considered doing it with Dropbox before, but their free amount is a little small still. 20GB (because I'll soak up all those referrals kthx~) is more than most of them will ever use.

And I'm hopeful that this forces Dropbox to once again up their capacities so I get even more from them.

It seems just as easy and useful as Dropbox, so thanks for the heads up. I like the Dropbox sync icons better though, easier to see.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Copy actually plays nice for that kind of setup too, as they "share" the data load across users. So if you have a work folder that is 15gb but 10 users have shared access to it it divides that 15gb up across all 10 users instead of killing one persons capacity.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I saw that. Going to have them all get individual ones though I think. This would be more for personal documents, pictures, etc. that we allow everyone to keep on their computers, but then they freak out when they are gone.

I moved the directory to one that I made specifically for it, but it put a "Copy" folder inside that one to use as the official directory. Looks like there is no way to get away from it being called Copy. I still contend that's a terrible name for a directory.

If I'm missing something, please tell me.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Do they offer the same mobile integration that dropbox offers? ie. I take pictures and they automatically sync to my dropbox?

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah I saw that. Going to have them all get individual ones though I think. This would be more for personal documents, pictures, etc. that we allow everyone to keep on their computers, but then they freak out when they are gone.

I moved the directory to one that I made specifically for it, but it put a "Copy" folder inside that one to use as the official directory. Looks like there is no way to get away from it being called Copy. I still contend that's a terrible name for a directory.

If I'm missing something, please tell me.
Just tell your coworkers "You know that copy folder? Copy everything to it." You might at least get some files saved in the case of a desktop failure.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Just tell your coworkers "You know that copy folder? Copy everything to it." You might at least get some files saved in the case of a desktop failure.
Hah! You make me laugh! I'd be happy if people could stop opening obvious virus email attachments and/or links.

One drawback of Copy, that I don't believe Dropbox has (haven't tested it though), is that I actually tried to link people's desktops directly into the Copy folder, so that it wouldn't matter how dumb they were, it would automatically back up anything they put there. That worked perfectly, except for one thing. Copy automatically digs deeper into every shortcut, and backs up that directory too. Since every single person here has a link to the fileserver, and several links to specific directories on it, that means Copy tries to back up the whole thing via each person's Copy account. I contacted support about this, and they said it is a specifically designed feature and they currently don't have any plans to allow you the option of turning it on or off.

It makes sense, in a way, because apparently if I wanted to backup my desktop I could just put an actual shortcut to my desktop in the Copy folder and not worry about linking or other "complicated" shit. It would work great for say a Music directory that you don't want to move, but still want to back up. In the specific case of a desktop with shortcuts though, it completely ruins the functionality. I'm sure that is a tiny, tiny subset of people that would use it the way I want to, but still, it sucks that I can't do it now because that was the perfect solution.

Ah well, at least I got a bunch of referrals out of installing it on every computer here!

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Okay so somehow I have never gotten into any of the Online/Cloud storage services. I have a few questions if someone wouldn't mind helping me out.

Between Google Drive, Dropbox, and Copy which is the best to get started with? Ease of access comes to mind because I'll have my girlfriend using it too and if I don't have to help her every time with it that is a plus.

What is this good for storing? Music, movies, photos, just everyday files? Can you watch a movie right from the storage like it was on your HDD?

Any precautions I should take? Does data get erased ever?

I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I personally use Dropbox, mainly because it's easy to have multiple people logged in under 1 account without interfering with anything else. For instance, I have both my wife and my moms cell phones set to upload pics automatically to my dropbox account, so we have 1 central location for family photos.

I couldn't really do that with Google Drive, because on our Android phones, google drive access is tied into your google account that you are logged in as on your phone, so in order for them to log into my google drive, they would also then have access to everything else tied into my google account (gmail, google music, google books. google+, etc). Sometimes having SO many services and programs tied into 1 account isn't a great thing, if you want to share that account with other people for 1 specific purpose(like I do with dropbox).

For people that aren't tech savvy like my wife and mom, there's no way I wanted them constantly logging out of their own google accounts, and into mine, just for the sake of pictures. I'd be doing tech support for them constantly when they couldn't figure out why they lost access to their gmail or whatever.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Thanks to VM's and access to a bunch of PC's, I referred myself up to 110gb of free storage so far.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Were VMs able to get the 5gb referral bonus? I tried a couple but it still wouldn't take it as confirmed or whatever.