Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Cool I'll need to think about this. I think our Internet is 150Mbps down for not too much. Maybe a quarter of the cost?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, we have a few tablet type things the kids use to watch netflix or youtube or hulu or whatever. Haven't had cable for a long time now, don't miss it. We got a digital antenna rabbit ears type thing, so we can get the major networks now, which is good for various sporting events. Women's world cup, for example, showing on Fox. Able to watch a lot of it.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Comcast fucks you in the ass without lube if you want to use their internet without a tv package on the account. It's a minimum of $70/month in my area just for internet. Centurylink DSL is the only other internet option in my area, so I grabbed their 20mb down/2mb up service for $35/month. It works just fine for streaming.

fris

Vyemm Raider
has anyone picked up HBO Now ? i was gonna wait till the Apple exclusive deal expired, but lost track of it. now that GoT is over, debating if I'd use it much. tempted if all seasons of GoT was available, i would enjoy re-watching the entire series.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
My Fios combo is like $120ish and it's barebones. If I were just to do internet, it would be like $90. I'll spend the exstra 40 for 3 boxes and a dvr even though I don't watch a lot of tv at all.

I mostly use it for the news and sports.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
has anyone picked up HBO Now ? i was gonna wait till the Apple exclusive deal expired, but lost track of it. now that GoT is over, debating if I'd use it much. tempted if all seasons of GoT was available, i would enjoy re-watching the entire series.
I got HBO Now go to along with my cord cutting. It has every episode of every season of every series they've ever made. It also has tons of great movies.

The difference between HBO GO and HBO Now is this: HBO Now does not require a cable or dish subscription. HBO Now allows you to watch new episodes at the same time they air on TV. I was able to start streaming the season finale of Game of Thrones last night two minutes before the TV start time.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I got HBO Now go to along with my cord cutting. It has every episode of every season of every series they've ever made. It also has tons of great movies.

The difference between HBO GO and HBO Now is this: HBO Now does not require a cable or dish subscription. HBO Now allows you to watch new episodes at the same time they air on TV. I was able to start streaming the season finale of Game of Thrones last night two minutes before the TV start time.
You just go to their website and sign up for it? How much is it? Stream to your computer, no problems?

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I signed up via the iPad app, but you can do it on their website. I stream it on my AppleTV and it works perfectly. It will expand to more devices in the future, but for now it works on a computers and Apple devices. It costs the same as a standard HBO subscription, which is $15/month.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Had the chance to experience Chromecast for the first time recently, and that's a pretty slick piece of hardware. Am I right that it doesn't actually run any of it's own apps? Anything that you want on your TV is at the whim of the tablet/phone app to have a casting option?

Granted, plex, youtube, netflix, etc all have that option, so it's not a huge deal, but that's how it works?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yep, that how it works. The phone, computer, whatever does the work and just tells the Chromecast where to find the media.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
It sucks that all these streaming boxes/sticks don't have the same content available. For example, AppleTV has HBO Now, but Roku and Amazon doesn't. Amazon has Fox Sports channels but nobody else does. Roku and Amazon has SlingTV, but Apple does not. It's very annoying.

I've tried most of the major streaming boxes over the years and have several in each room of the house. I have 3 Apple TV's, 1 Roku 3, 1 Roku Streaming stick, and 3 Amazon Fire sticks. I rate them as follows:

1) Roku 3
2) AppleTV
3) Amazon Fire stick
4) Roku stick

If you want a stick, I recommend going with the Fire stick. The Roku stick is slow and laggy when navigating anything. It gets annoying fast. The Fire stick is faster, has more ram, and more storage.

I think the Roku 3 is best overall, but I also like the AppleTV for the airplay functionality and HBO Now availability.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
HBO Now should be on Roku and everything else shortly if it's not already. The Apple exclusive was only for a few weeks.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, Apple only had it exclusively for basically the duration of Game of Thrones so it shoul dbe available on everything soon.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Had the chance to experience Chromecast for the first time recently, and that's a pretty slick piece of hardware. Am I right that it doesn't actually run any of it's own apps? Anything that you want on your TV is at the whim of the tablet/phone app to have a casting option?

Granted, plex, youtube, netflix, etc all have that option, so it's not a huge deal, but that's how it works?
Seems like that's it. I set one up for a friend a few weeks ago and I noticed the same thing. By far I prefer the Roku that has actual channels rather than being tied to a PC/phone for it's native content.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I find it a LOT easier to use my phone for content than to try and find a random, tiny remote control for my Roku, wherever it may be.

I have a Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick, and a Roku and I use the Chromecast probably 80% of the time now(the other 20% being Fire Stick for easy Amazon Prime content). Chromecast + plex app on every phone and tablet in the house is the best and easiest to use interface by far. Its so much faster to navigate Plex on a touchscreen phone/tablet than navigating through it with a remote, especially when you have thousands of TV shows and movies and do an alpha-search for specific titles or episodes. Screw typing letters with a remote control.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, it might be nice to not need a smartphone nearby but if you're typing using a remote control then that is bad times. I would like a remote for play/pause, fast forward, and rewind though.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Roku, Apple and Amazon have phone/tablet apps that control their streaming devices. You can use the phone keyboard to enter in searches and stuff.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I think that is the best solution. Super simple remote with just the 4 basic functions and maybe 4-way arrow buttons for very basic navigation and anything more complicated than that you pick up the phone/tablet.