Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
You're very naive if you think this would impact the electability of anyone involved

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Imposing a shitty tax on everyone you serve? Yeah, that should impact someone's political career, unless everyone in the voting public is a sheep. And that's mostly true, so I suppose you're right!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
This seems pretty stupid
Just curious. You tax my car because I use the roads. You tax my...electricity because of telephone fuckin poles. Whatever. HOW can you tax me on an internet service you in no form or fashion support?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Just curious. You tax my car because I use the roads. You tax my...electricity because of telephone fuckin poles. Whatever. HOW can you tax me on an internet service you in no form or fashion support?
They use the same utilities path and also the government "helps" keep them secure.

Yeah it's all bullshit but that is the reasoning.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They already pay taxes on those services, not sure if you ever checked your cable bill...

So for instance you will have to pay taxes on Netflix because it amuses you but you won't for Office 365 because there's nothing funny about Microsoft Access!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it went through right? if not it will pass, i mean even Amazon got state taxed, so states just being assholes forcing ppl to torrent more.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Looks like Showtime Now launched today. 8.99 and you can get it as a Hulu add-on as well as other options.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Does anyone here use PlayOn? I'm about to cut the cord totally and I'm hearing good things about it. Buddy uses it and I went over there today and we watched Jurassic World in HD.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Does anyone here use PlayOn? I'm about to cut the cord totally and I'm hearing good things about it. Buddy uses it and I went over there today and we watched Jurassic World in HD.
It's basically just torrent netflix. If you can torrent yourself you don't need it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Do I even need a Roku then if I just plan to hook the TV up to my PC?

I guess the service (PlayOn) would be nice because sometimes I may just want to watch something on a whim and wont want to wait for a download. $50 for a lifetime doesn't seem bad for that I guess.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
This guy had a good idea;

There is an easy fix for this. Netflix stops streaming to Chicago and presents a banner page that the currently elected officials have decided to tax the service and due to the efforts required to collect the tax they are no longer able to supply service. Include links to how to recall your elected officials. I'm sure Netflix is more popular than any politician.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
My buddy uses a Chromecast on his tv. The damn thing has google's own dns hardcoded. How do I help him get US netflix from Europe on this thing? It's been years and years since I got my CCNA. Is 1) router blocking + dhcp to vpn dns or 2) router routing tables and vpn dns still the way to go or is there an easier / better way (or rerolled thread)?

Pizoi

Golden Squire
This guy had a good idea;
I don't really see the big deal. Most of your states have lost so much tax revenue from people shopping on Amazon instead of locally, using Netflix instead of renting movies and paying for TV packages, etc. It's essentially what, an extra 70 cents a month for Netflix? Hardly worth some big boycott IMO.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
My buddy uses a Chromecast on his tv. The damn thing has google's own dns hardcoded. How do I help him get US netflix from Europe on this thing? It's been years and years since I got my CCNA. Is 1) router blocking + dhcp to vpn dns or 2) router routing tables and vpn dns still the way to go or is there an easier / better way (or rerolled thread)?
I think you'd have to setup the DNS through the router, and then block access to googles DNS servers, also through the router. As far as I know, there's no way to force the Chromecast to use another DNS server any other way.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I don't really see the big deal. Most of your states have lost so much tax revenue from people shopping on Amazon instead of locally, using Netflix instead of renting movies and paying for TV packages, etc. It's essentially what, an extra 70 cents a month for Netflix? Hardly worth some big boycott IMO.
Many states tax online sales, including Amazon.