Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Hell, I pay for Netflix/Hulu/Amazon because they cost nothing, but still use Plex because it's just 10x easier having everything in one place.

Sounds like you just grew into being a technology retard.

You pay for things you don’t use yet rip on the guy who also pays for them, but, um, uses them?

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
You pay for things you don’t use yet rip on the guy who also pays for them, but, um, uses them?

I know reading comprehension is hard, but I'm ripping on him for being too retarded to figure out how to sail the high seas without shitting his pants. All his excuses were just from complete ignorance.

Also, my wife and her family use our Netflix/Hulu/Amazon accounts, so they are used. I just personally see no reason to use them when I can have everything consolidated to 1 app/service.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I know reading comprehension is hard, but I'm ripping on him for being too retarded to figure out how to sail the high seas without shitting his pants. All his excuses were just from complete ignorance.

Also, my wife and her family use our Netflix/Hulu/Amazon accounts, so they are used. I just personally see no reason to use them when I can have everything consolidated to 1 app/service.

Cool, you’re less retarded than you initially let on, you’re still a dick though.

• 2Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have been playing with Emby along side Plex, so far I'm quite impressed with it. I may move solely to it as it can function without dedicated internet access. The interface is cleaner too.

Also thinking of switching VOIP providers, I am currently on Ooma but will probably go to voip.ms. I get the premium package on Ooma for some extra features but realized all these features seem to be standard at voip.ms without the additional cost. It's byod so there is good and bad to that.

Also thinking of switching to IPTV, been watching the debate here but don't think it would affect me living in Canada. So to my fellow Canadian's on here can you recommend any solid IPTV providers, I don't mind paying a little bit more if they aren't some fly-by-night outfit from Kijiji?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Really, really debating on buying a new Nvidia Shield Pro (2019). Someone talk me off the ledge, or push me off. Essentially looking at using it for IPTV (should work with Kodi, yes?), and to maybe host a small Plex server on it; throw some stuff on an external, mainly use it here at the house, but also allow my parents and maybe a couple other family members to direct play off of it.

Currently using the personal pc for the Plex server, but a little worried about allowing others to direct play off of it while gaming among other things. Don't want any hiccups, which maybe I am just being too cautious.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Really, really debating on buying a new Nvidia Shield Pro (2019). Someone talk me off the ledge, or push me off. Essentially looking at using it for IPTV (should work with Kodi, yes?), and to maybe host a small Plex server on it; throw some stuff on an external, mainly use it here at the house, but also allow my parents and maybe a couple other family members to direct play off of it.

Currently using the personal pc for the Plex server, but a little worried about allowing others to direct play off of it while gaming among other things. Don't want any hiccups, which maybe I am just being too cautious.
Highly recommend it if you have a 4K TV and will use some sort of 4K programming (Plex?), can hook you up with a very solid IPTV if you need one $8/mo. Shoot me a message if you need

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

I've ran a Plex server off my home desktop PC for years now, and never have seen any issue with games or otherwise. Granted, I share it out to 5 or less people, so it's not very taxing, but it's never been a problem.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It'd mostly be taxing your upload anyways. Gaming uses far less bandwidth than you'd think.

Even when I was.streaming games I never had hiccups

• 1Like

Crone

Have another 4 people living with me for a while, and I noticed I was hitting 15+ wireless devices connected, so I looked into upgrades at Comcast. Their Gig internet was on promo for $90/month, normally $160. Already paying $60 for 175/5 (maybe 10 upload?) and now it's 900+/40. Upload is amazing!

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Have another 4 people living with me for a while, and I noticed I was hitting 15+ wireless devices connected, so I looked into upgrades at Comcast. Their Gig internet was on promo for $90/month, normally $160. Already paying $60 for 175/5 (maybe 10 upload?) and now it's 900+/40. Upload is amazing!
$160 for a 1 gig pipe from Comcast? Krikey! Verizon rolls that for like $79 a month. Comcast is a plague.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
40 eurocuck bucks for cable 1000/100.
Teekey Teekey , you triggered me a bit, thanks. You're right, some shit I want is not available on regular streaming services. Or they dissappear, which is super annoying. Actually looking into getting a box for plex / transcode. Would it be alright with a Synology 218 series, you think? There's one, the play or the plus model I think, that can transcode 4K. Not sure how well, but should be fine? Or could do it with, say, a Lenovo Tiny box, and some external storage. What kind of setup do you have? Merry Christmas :)

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Highly recommend it if you have a 4K TV and will use some sort of 4K programming (Plex?), can hook you up with a very solid IPTV if you need one $8/mo. Shoot me a message if you need
What's the real advantage with the Shield for 4k vs say the new 4k fire stick? Really wanting to the Shield, but not really sure if that's just mean wanting another gadget as opposed to something I actually "need".

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
What's the real advantage with the Shield for 4k vs say the new 4k fire stick? Really wanting to the Shield, but not really sure if that's just mean wanting another gadget as opposed to something I actually "need".

I personally find the android store to be easier to navigate using the shield. I’ve found the shield devices to be more powerful and less congested than the fire sticks. Much more processing power. I don’t know about the Amazon cube though. Probably can’t go wrong either way.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
$140 a month for a 1 gig plan from Xfinity right now, with paperless and auto billing I think. Had an issue this morning that the chat guy was trying to pitch me after he couldn’t fix my Cable / Internet.

But $140 would be great if it was actually $140. That includes your Cable + 1 gig Internet. What it doesn’t include is your “HD Technology Fee,” DVR Fee, Local Sports Fee, Broadcast TV Fee, TV Franchise Fee, TV Sales Tax, etc, etc.

All taking my $140 plan to $216.50 a month. And apparently on their site I cannot even select a plan that doesn’t include TV and Voice. Maybe that’s a call thing. Who knows. Irritating.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I ended up on Century link 1 gig symmetrical for $80 because Comcast wanted $140 (plus all the bullshit fees) and it was more like 1000/25 or some bullshit. I even tried calling because I had comcast at the time. Nothing.

Crone

I ended up on Century link 1 gig symmetrical for $80 because Comcast wanted $140 (plus all the bullshit fees) and it was more like 1000/25 or some bullshit. I even tried calling because I had comcast at the time. Nothing.
Yea it's 940/40 up here in the pacific northwest. Symmetrical would be amazing even if it was just 100/100 like Verizon offers but not available where I live.