Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For years my Plex server has been running as a virtual or off an Xpenology/Synology NAS, there have been limitations to running it on these platforms so I have switched to using an old laptop (i7-2670QM/12GB ram) it is running great off that but thinking of going lower power since its on 24/7.

Does anyone run their Plex server off an Intel NUC and if so how well does it handle transcoding and streaming?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Roku can not run Plex Server, so that's a pretty big plus, and if doing that, the extra processing power would be greatly appreciated. I should look up some pics of Kodi's user interface, to see how much better it is. Being able to use it as a Steam Streaming device is pretty awesome, considering Steam discontinued their hardware for it. Recently bought one of their Steam hardware pieces off Ebay though for $30 to handle that if I ever want that. Also have Google Stadia coming, so not sure I'd use it for that.

Thanks for the run down Void, was informative.
Just another quirk of mine, I use the Rapier skin for Kodi, not the default one. So make sure you look around at various skins, as what I like might not match up with what you like, and there are a bunch of different options.

I'm not 100% on if it can stream Steam games if you don't have an nVidia card in your computer, so that's another thing to be aware of. Although, I think there is a Steam app you can use now? No idea, I don't play games on my Shield either, so clearly I'm not getting the most out of it at all! I use my computer as my Plex server as well, so all my Shield does is play the basic shit (Netflix, Prime, YouTube, Kodi) and that's about it. I still love it though, even if I could have spent less for a similar (if slightly slower) experience.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Does anyone run their Plex server off an Intel NUC and if so how well does it handle transcoding and streaming?

I've been doing this for eight or ten years or something, since when I first set up Plex I didn't have a dedicated NAS. I run Ubuntu on the NUC and it works perfectly, casting to tablets/phones and ChromeCasts. I don't do uncompressed BluRays or 4k or anything, so YMMV on those fronts.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I'm gonna piggy back off some questions as well: Why the shield over say the high end Roku's? Always looked like a badass item, but unsure if I really need it.

Streaming the normal apps, plus pulling from a plex server. Does it have a built in browser? Seriously need to make an htpc just for browsing in the living room.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Nvidia Shield can also stream Steam games and they have an Nvidia Cloud based game service.

Last edited:

loudgas

I have tried streaming to my TV with a steam box and old laptops/pc's, but the experience has always been more of a novelty, when you are in an intense multi-player game nothing beats a PC (non streaming).

loudgas

I think I paid that too, couldn't agree more about the dogshit comment.

It has all the right I/O wish it could be converted into a standalone media player.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've played a good 30 hours or more on mine playing Witcher 3. No issues. Input lag was fine. Looked amazing on my oled TV.

TThis was over a wired connection, but nothing else special.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
For the brief time I used it, my Steam Link worked perfectly as well. I just realized that I don't really play any games that require controllers anymore, so sitting in a computer chair to use the mouse and keyboard is vastly more comfortable. And now I have a Shield in case I ever do find a controller game I want to play. Also, I hate the Steam "haptic feedback" controller and never could get comfortable with it, and I always felt like I should really be using their controller, right? Dumb, I realize, but even with a different controller, I just don't play them anymore.

But the Steam Link did work great, and I still have it somewhere. Maybe one day it will be a collector's item! (/sarcasm)

EDIT: Mine was wired as well. There's nothing a 100' network cable can't remedy!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Just to follow up, my new Shield was delivered yesterday, and I set it up when I got home. Other than trying to remember various passwords and how to set up my share folders on Kodi, it was a cinch and is pretty much identical to the old one, which is to be expected since they are both running the same version of Android TV. It is noticeably faster at some things, particularly Kodi stuff where it was trying to process my thousands of movies and shows and songs. But for everything else, of course there isn't much difference to be seen at all. YouTube navigates just the same as it always did, Netflix, Prime, etc. I haven't actually watched a Netflix 4K Dolby Vision blah blah to see if I can tell the difference. Probably not, but now I know it is supposed to be better, right?!

I love the new remote though, so that's a nice upgrade. Not $200 worth, but it was time to upgrade anyway before my old one shit the bed for good, so I'm happy. But I doubt anyone will really notice much unless they have audiophile quality ears (I don't) or they used it as a Plex server (I don't). I have to imagine that has only gotten better with a new processor. So unless you need the upgrade now, or are in the market for a streaming device right now and can't wait, I'd say you'll be fine waiting until next year for a sale perhaps. No ragrets here, but just trying to be objective about it in case you are thinking about one. If you already have one, you won't notice much change at all. It is a decent bit smaller in physical size is about the only other thing I can think of. Oh, and despite all the pics, just like the old one, it doesn't actually come with the stand to put it upright, but I don't use that anyway. I prefer as much surface area as possible to collect dust and cat hair :p

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
So, i thought about cord cutting, then i realized i would need to still pay 50 bucks for unlimited bandwidth and then more cash if i want any other service and i was back to about the same as im paying now! There is no point.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
So, i thought about cord cutting, then i realized i would need to still pay 50 bucks for unlimited bandwidth and then more cash if i want any other service and i was back to about the same as im paying now! There is no point.
Streaming > flow tv, freedom for around the same cost or less. Internet is mandatory with kids anyway, sunk cost. I can't imagine ever going back to flow tv. But yeah, it's getting ridic with all the different providers. We pay 40 eurofag dublones for 1000/100 Mbit cable. Basic flow tv would be 50 on top of that, but we cut it years ago. Netflix and HBO around another 35. 90-95'ish trump notes, total. Soon'ish, Disney+

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
You can signup for a basic IPTV for around $6-11/month that is very reliable and is absolutely mint for regular TV/Sports/PPV. No VOD on the service I use, but it's well worth it over the $100+ plan I used to pay for.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So how does this IPTV stuff work?

I just got an e-mail that my Hulu + LiveTV price is going up from$45 a month to $55 a month and I'm pretty sick of the bullshit.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
So how does this IPTV stuff work?

I just got an e-mail that my Hulu + LiveTV price is going up from$45 a month to $55 a month and I'm pretty sick of the bullshit.

Curious as well.

What's some good ones? Any I can setup on a Roku or something, or they all something similar to Kodi on FireStick?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
Disney be like Vue shutting down because it was too expensive, better raise prices on Hulu live!
Makes me fear my Philo will not last much longer for the $20 for 58 channels but has start at beginning and a large vod selection.
Sling is not too bad for $25 for blue/orange but they nickle you to death for everything. Want hallmark/lifetime stuff? $5. Want dvr? $5 . Before you know it you will have a $40-50 monthly bill and not gain much over the base package. The only reason we had Sling over Philo recently was Sling had FX for America Horror Story.

IPTV? Going to have to look into it. I assume it isn't Iowa Public TV. Quick Bing search brings up all sorts of shady dealings on ebay/websites for yearly subs. Is it like the LG+ channels? Never signed up on those due to other offerings.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Curious as well.

What's some good ones? Any I can setup on a Roku or something, or they all something similar to Kodi on FireStick?

IPTV is basically offshore companies re-broadcasting signals. You pay them for access to their "re-broadcast" over IP.

IPTV as a technology isn't illegal. But when people are talking about IPTV, 99% of the time they are talking about IPTV rebroadcasters who don't have rights to be doing what they are doing. Mostly any hardware solution you have like a roku or fire stick can be setup to get IPTV, and there are a ton of different options for who to go with, all roughly similar prices.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user