Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

Jais

Trakanon Raider
I hope this show proves to Nat Geo, History Channel, Discovery that there is money in educational tv so they'll unfuck their respective channels and remove all the terrible terrible shows they've added over the last 5-10 years or so.

Sucks having to shell out more money to the cable company to find something roughly educational on tv now, H2, Science, Smithsonian, Military, etc.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Lol, yeah. Hoping it picks up some serious speed. There were some things mentioned in the commercials I am excited to see.

Also, rogue planets and the map of the super clusters is "new" but not if you read the "news" in astronomy / astrophysics. Anyway, waiting for this weekends episode.

Oh, btw, Mike Rowe's voice > NDT's. Lol
This show isn't aimed at people who keep current in science news. It provides an accessible outlet for that information to the public.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Editing Error - LOL. It's ironic that the show has a story about how people in history would not accept scientific fact, or fact in general and would go to great lengths to suppress it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This is kind of a children's show. It's not going to be that in depth. At least not at first.

onno

Trakanon Raider
For an introductory episode I think they did a great job. In retrospect, I understand it was simplified and full of information the educated already knew. For the rest of the 95% of people (blue collar, young children/teens) watching the premier I expect it opened a lot of eyes and accomplished one of the main points and reasons for even doing this - to get people to question their universe (or at least to get them thinking about it).

I fully expect them to hit on the newer concepts and discoveries in further detail but let's face it; grabbing the masses attention and explaining concepts about science and astronomy that are difficult to comprehend in today's society is not an easy thing to do. I think N. Tyson is a great communicator who has the talent and enthusiasm to accomplish the task. Seems like the perfect man for the job judging by the first episode.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This is kind of a children's show. It's not going to be that in depth. At least not at first.
I don't think I'd call it a "children's show", but it's definitely an introductory and very mainstream target audience. If you're really interested in astronomy and astrophysics, there's probably not going to be a whole lot of anything new or exciting for you on this show.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
It looks like the next episode is almost entirely devoted to evolution and natural selection. How are those fucking hillbillies going to censor that short of going black for an hour?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The church back during the Inquisition were pretty much fantasy-book villains. The facts can only really paint them one way.
I heard a "stuff you should know" podcast about the Spanish Inquisition recently and it really wasn't as bad as I had thought. It was pretty horrible, don't get me wrong, but I had assumed that it was one of the all time historical atrocities and responsible for the deaths of tens or hundreds of thousands of people. They only actually tried about 150,000 people and the number of executions was between two and five thousand depending on who you ask. They also took a shitload of land and property from "heretics". Convenient how doing God's work just happened to result in you getting rich and powerful back in those days.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Ya but didn't just about everyone "tried" by the Inquisition go through some sort of agonizing torture? I thought that was pretty standard when questioning a 'suspect' back then.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ya but didn't just about everyone "tried" by the Inquisition go through some sort of agonizing torture? I thought that was pretty standard when questioning a 'suspect' back then.
I know many cultures long ago didn't consider a confession to be legit unless gained through torture. Certain Republican cultures still believe that to this day.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Can we fix the spelling error in the title? Just seems wrong to misspell deGrasse on a thread for a show about facts and science.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Another episode. Lots of stuff on evolution. Titan was cool when you think about it. About life as we don't know it there... my hypothesis is that if there is any, it's not evolved much, as I suspect the speed of chemical reactions at low temperature will slow things down a lot. Still interesting to think about though.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Slow but still a good show.

Seems to me though they have a bit too many shots of NDT. Shots of him walking in abundance in the second episode and other non science shots of the extinction halls were shown way too much. Lots of things like that in the show, including the stupid space ship which could be replaced by better material. Sure they showed Trilobites for like 5 seconds and had probably 5 minutes worth of NDT sitting, walking or talking in that same part. They could of shown more organisms and talked about them while showing more images of different extinct species.