Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

iannis

Musty Nester
Vaguely on topic: If we could stop prefacing every post in this thread with "WellIalready knew everything in this because I'm so totally smart and all, but it was great..."

Are people scared this thread will judge them harshly if they don't add that? Frankly I think that makes you a bunch of pussies. The fact most of you started out as dicks and assholes only reinforces the theory of evolution.

Now this here? This is fucking bravery.
Well, I knew someone was going to post that.

To be completely fair I didn't know it was going to be YOU... But I had decided that whoever did it was going to start with G.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I consider myself pretty knowledgeable, just like many here. I've seen the original series multiple times and read Sagans books as well. As a nerd child, he was a role model for me and I even won a speech contest about him in the 5th grade.

But I'll be damned if I've ever thought about the evolution of the eye and how it was a proving ground for the "theory" of evolution. I loved the way it was presented and it educated the fuck out of me.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
I think the evolution of the eye became a focus (lulz) semi-recently mainly in reaction to the whole irreducible complexity argument put forth by intelligent design dipshits.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
But I'll be damned if I've ever thought about the evolution of the eye and how it was a proving ground for the "theory" of evolution. I loved the way it was presented and it educated the fuck out of me.
Fun fact about the Planarians he was talking about (swimming flatworm with the eyespots): You can chop em up and every piece will regenerate into a new, complete, fully formed organism, up to i think about 79 different pieces. We did a lab in Genetics with them and I cut one's "head" in half lengthwise and in two weeks, each side had grown two new "heads", each with own set of eyespots.

Planarian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
One thing I found fascinating, that I did not know, is that humans share over 50% of our DNA with trees. That's pretty mind-boggling.

Who knew getting wood was so literal.

Digby_sl

shitlord
Is there anywhere to obtain this series for us over-seas types? (Australia).

I have a feeling it will show up on our cable channels at some point but Foxtel is an expensive monopoly over here =(

Also on irreducinble complexity the best debunking of this I've read was from the Dover trial especially when they had Behe on the stand.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyssey

Not sure if it will work overseas. There's always torrents...but it seems like they're being very free about this, and given it's broadcast in like 45 countries, a few google searches should give it to you. If not, PM me your email I'll toss you an IPT invite.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
One thing I found fascinating, that I did not know, is that humans share over 50% of our DNA with trees. That's pretty mind-boggling.

Just remember that only about 2% of your genome actually codes for proteins. The other 98% is non-coding and is still not completely understood.

And you also have to keep in mind that every organism on Earth has a genome that is 3.5 billion years old, the difference being in how and how much it was modified. That's why we still have a tail in the womb. And still have a lizard brain tucked away underneath all the neat new stuff.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

Yeah I had no idea about that either. Very interesting stuff.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
Seth MacFarlane was on Real Time with Bill Maher on Friday night promoting his novelization of A Million Ways to Die in the West, but he was mostly talking about Cosmos.

Maher, "I watched Cosmos, I watched it twice..."
MacFarlane, "Did you watch it stoned? Cause you gotta watch it stoned!"
Maher, "Once baked, and once straight, it's good both ways."

MacFarlane is so fucking funny. Hard to believe he's the guy that got Cosmos back on the air.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People are aware that you can go to google and type in

watch "insert series name" online

And get tons of links for literally any show, right? It's 2014, you don't need to hunt down secret links and P2P stuff generally if you are willing to watch on your PC(or have a way to stream it to your TV).

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Fun fact about the Planarians he was talking about (swimming flatworm with the eyespots): You can chop em up and every piece will regenerate into a new, complete, fully formed organism, up to i think about 79 different pieces. We did a lab in Genetics with them and I cut one's "head" in half lengthwise and in two weeks, each side had grown two new "heads", each with own set of eyespots.

Stop playing God!

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
People are aware that you can go to google and type in

watch "insert series name" online

And get tons of links for literally any show, right? It's 2014, you don't need to hunt down secret links and P2P stuff generally if you are willing to watch on your PC(or have a way to stream it to your TV).
Tablet make it a bit harder.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Surprised that no short spoof/film has ever been made around the idea " If humans could multiply this way".

Could incorporate everything from making more of a beautiful woman to multiplying a work force by cutting up bob in 79 directions.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think the only reason that they can do that is because their organism is structured differently from ours. Fundamentally differently. I might be wrong about that specific, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. It just wouldn't work with humans, the interdependency being copied is too complex. It has to be simple systems.

But then again, stem cell research is ongoing and will probably be the task of generations. It may be that it is more possible than anyone currently thinks reasonable.