Cowboy Bebop

Sevens

Log Wizard
There are people in showbiz who believe that animation is a barrier to broader audiences, and so they implicitly believe great anime with a built-in audience is "asking for" live action adaptations.

Grace Randolph gave absolutely glowing reviews of Netflix's Arcane, which it deserves, and she even mentioned her friends in the animation side of the industry who were gobsmacked about it, but even she had to "pull herself back" from thinking that Arcane could benefit from a live-action remake. Which is retarded.

It's at the 20-sec mark, but she discusses spoilers if you haven't seen it.

Why the fuck would anyone listen to a word that worthless cunt has to say. Her and her kind are what's wrong with this world.
I would say fuck her but honestly I would rather cut off my dick than let it get close to that bitches stinky gash.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There are people in showbiz who believe that animation is a barrier to broader audiences, and so they implicitly believe great anime with a built-in audience is "asking for" live action adaptations.

Grace Randolph gave absolutely glowing reviews of Netflix's Arcane, which it deserves, and she even mentioned her friends in the animation side of the industry who were gobsmacked about it, but even she had to "pull herself back" from thinking that Arcane could benefit from a live-action remake. Which is retarded.

It's at the 20-sec mark, but she discusses spoilers if you haven't seen it.

This chick is SJW cancer. Why are you even watching her shit?

She even said that Dune, being a "white savior" story, was very problematic. And when her audience called her out on it... she looked for evidence so that she could double down and was very self-congratulatory about how big-brained she is.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
This chick is SJW cancer. Why are you even watching her shit?

I don't watch her. I linked it as an example of people in entertainment (she used to write for DC Comics) who feel that animated media is enough of a barrier for some normies that live-action adaptations are assumed to be a value add for anime with a large enough audience.

Which, like I said in that quote, is retarded. The only thing more retarded is when they're shocked that it blows up in their faces, like Scarjo's GITS and Alita.

Sevens

Log Wizard
I don't watch her. I linked it as an example of people in entertainment (she used to write for DC Comics) who feel that animated media is enough of a barrier for some normies that live-action adaptations are assumed to be a value add for anime with a large enough audience.

Which, like I said in that quote, is retarded. The only thing more retarded is when they're shocked that it blows up in their faces, like Scarjo's GITS and Alita.
Wait, I thought Alita: Battle Angel was well received?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wait, I thought Alita: Battle Angel was well received?
Was a flop in the US, but did incredibly well outside of the US. Maybe he just means locally? I personally didnt think it was all that bad. Not my kind of thing, but I didnt hate it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Was a flop in the US, but did incredibly well outside of the US. Maybe he just means locally? I personally didnt think it was all that bad. Not my kind of thing, but I didnt hate it.

It was released around the same time as CPT Marvel if I may recall.

Siliconemelons

So, only watched the first episode when this released and was fresh off of a rewatch of the anime.

having distance, this was not as fully garbage as I and others panned it.

soothe few years of even more crap tv and movies have dulled everything or - as most of us used this coming out at a reason to watch the OG so soon to the new show it killed out perspectives?

I think where they missed the mark consistently was the “bad guys”

the rest was fairly on point in a way … viscous however was hhhhoooorrrriiiibbbllllleeeeee

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
So, only watched the first episode when this released and was fresh off of a rewatch of the anime.

having distance, this was not as fully garbage as I and others panned it.

soothe few years of even more crap tv and movies have dulled everything or - as most of us used this coming out at a reason to watch the OG so soon to the new show it killed out perspectives?

I think where they missed the mark consistently was the “bad guys”

the rest was fairly on point in a way … viscous however was hhhhoooorrrriiiibbbllllleeeeee
I watched the first episode and the live action missed the tone and meaning of the show completely. That's why people were pissed.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Imagine making it through a whole episode of this crap, lmao.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

I guess you have to look at it like the new ff7 games

the first episode imo has the issue with trying to be the anime and missing the mark- Spike can’t move like Spike in the anime - they try most notably in the first few and the intro - but they stop trying to replicate it later and that is a better choice.

It’s not “good” but it’s not “the worst anime live action made” the added Julia stuff, eh sure whatever- Hakeem was a disaster though.

In comparison to the anime yes it is like off the mark, by itself as its own version it’s not the absolute worst ever

spronk

FPS noob
i think the big thing was the anime was wildly different to anything most people had seen before, philosophizing about identity, the past, mistakes, living free, going with the flow, just a million random crazy ideas that is summed up by its use of jazz as a central concept.

all of that was completely stripped from the live action to just be a story about a few people who go on whacky adventures. which is fine, but its not cowboy bebop.

and i'm speaking as someone who only saw the anime a few months before the live action, and it still blew me away with how wildly different it was from other stuff i had seen. it must have been absolute insanity in "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS????" on release in 2001.

wasn't it created to sell spaceship toys? lol, fucking love japan

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
I don't know if it was as massive in Japan but Bebop hit all the right notes to be a huge hit in the west, especially the US. Shinichiro Watanabe has a pretty stellar track record as a writer and director for western appeal.

Szlia

and i'm speaking as someone who only saw the anime a few months before the live action, and it still blew me away with how wildly different it was from other stuff i had seen. it must have been absolute insanity in "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS????" on release in 2001.
As someone who saw it at the time of release, I am not sure I agree with this analysis. That being said, reception probably greatly varies based on your general exposure to anime and, more importantly, what range of anime you have been exposed to. In France and Italy for instance, anime have been widely distributed since the '80s, both on TV and on VHS (there was also a more niche scene for imported LaserDiscs and the likes). So when I saw Cowboy Bebop back in 1999 (on VHS!), I could link it to other shows like Lupin the 3rd or Cobra that feature the same archetype for the main character. And philosophical musings (for better or worse) are really common as soon as you stray away from shows only aimed at teenagers (and even some of those shows can have a faire share of introspection by the main characters - things like Saint Seiya come to mind).

I am not saying Cowboy Bebop is not something special, but maybe not as special or groundbreaking as you make it sound.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
As someone who saw it at the time of release, I am not sure I agree with this analysis. That being said, reception probably greatly varies based on your general exposure to anime and, more importantly, what range of anime you have been exposed to. In France and Italy for instance, anime have been widely distributed since the '80s, both on TV and on VHS (there was also a more niche scene for imported LaserDiscs and the likes). So when I saw Cowboy Bebop back in 1999 (on VHS!), I could link it to other shows like Lupin the 3rd or Cobra that feature the same archetype for the main character. And philosophical musings (for better or worse) are really common as soon as you stray away from shows only aimed at teenagers (and even some of those shows can have a faire share of introspection by the main characters - things like Saint Seiya come to mind).

I am not saying Cowboy Bebop is not something special, but maybe not as special or groundbreaking as you make it sound.
It was space noir with one of the most amazing soundtracks ever. Yoko Kanno is the true superstar of that show. The story was great. The US VAs were exceptional. The result is something that is that special. 25 years later I am still listening to songs from that ST regularly (Space Lion in particular).

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
@szila Still hits like a fucking ton of bricks. In a good way. It's one of those songs that just clears my mind and fills it with relaxation.

Siliconemelons

I think they played the Issp or whatever the cops are better on the live action.

inactually love the bebop movie as it is like startrek 6 - it’s a perfect example of each main character doing their thing really really well. Some didn’t like the movie in relation to the show- I thought it was good and fits in wherever you want in the show once the entire crew is together.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The US VAs were exceptional.
b82de827f0aab8f176dc1d40106344de.png