Crazy Neighbor Need Advice

Opulis_foh

shitlord
I had an idea while I was outside thinking about this:

Do you have a long lease contract with your management company / landlord? If so, and I"ll pretend it"s a year for sake of argument, it may be a sheer act of genius for her. Let me explain.

If she is relatively new on the lease, again I"ll pretend she is on month three of a one year contract, instead of working with the management company/landlord to pay exit fees or work through the court system to be absolved of her lease contract, she may be meticulously documenting a "medical" problem which is relatively unverifiable in order to pester her way out of a lease.

For me, I was planning on studying abroad in Japan last quarter because I was accepted to a rather prestigious program in Yokohama through UCSB, but I did not go because I still had 7 months left on my lease contract that I couldn"t get out of. I would have ended up paying for my apartment while I was in Japan which would have been a huge waste of money.

Applying this or similar ideas to her, if something has come up in her life that altered her short term plan (she is moving in with someone else around month 7 of the lease, or wants to go to a different city, whatever) she may just be trying to pester her way out of her lease through this "medical" problem of sleep / vibration. If she continues it long enough, your landlord would probably be happy to see her go and let her out of the lease in order to stop dealing with the headache or avoid going to court.

Anyway, I defininately agree that you should invite your landlord into your unit, turn on your computer, then have him go upstairs to check into this alleged "vibration". Then, I would go as far as to tell him you are considering a form of vigilantism or verbal confrontation with your neighbor, because she is obviously spying on you (as shown through the email stating you and your wife went to bed at 12:45), or seems to know exactly what you are doing.

Tell him it is causing you and your wife to be fearful about the mental stability of the woman, to cry wolf over something so trivial and to be scrutinizing your daily life, and therefore feel obligated to protect yourself in some way whether through confrontation, civil courts, or police intervention because of late night phone calls or emails.

Anyway, I wish I had thought of trying something along these lines to get out of my lease. I"d have had one happy quarter abroad.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
All I have to say is the mere fact you haven"t punched her in the face makes you a far, far better man than me. That bitch is crazy.

kcxiv_foh

shitlord
I live next to the train tracks, and i dont even wake up to the fucking horn. She"s trippen.

Also, your fucked in the summer time when you have to turn on housefans.lol

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
The way i see it do one of two things. Get you and the LL and with her permission enter her residence while you have the computer on see if you actually can hear / feel vibrations. If yes, uh, find something to do about it. If no, call her batshit insane on the spot and tell her not to bother you again.

OR

Make friends with a blacksmith have him create a shield, corinthian helmet, and a spear and with those equiped knock on her door and as loud as you can yell "THIS IS SPARTA" and stab her in the face

Rotanee_foh

shitlord
Buy a little fan that you can"t hear, put it on the floor somewhere and turn it on. Leave it on 24x7. It might mask the problem.

Keep the computer from sitting on anything that is solid, and use lots of soft, soft cushioning. Foam won"t work if it is thin or firm, assuming the computer is even the problem. Put the computer on top of a few folded up thick blankets, a folded sleeping bag or something (but not wrapped around it of course). I had a similar problem with this old lady I rented a room from back in college, and used a sleeping bag, worked great.

A stand or anything solid you set the computer on will just transfer vibrations if they exist into the floor.

Burf_foh

shitlord
Tell her that when she wakes up at 4am, you can hear her walking around her apartment, and it"s keeping you from getting 8 hours of sleep. Then, when you"re tired, run her over in your car. Her e-mail will be proof that it was not your fault because you were tired.

Seriously, though, she"s crazy and getting herself worked up.

Goonsquad Officer
I also think she"s spying on you. I"d really think other house noises and vibrations would be more prominent to her mutant vibro-senses. I think she"s just crazy and/or using you as a scapegoat for her problems. No book written yet? She"ll claim stressful living conditions to whoever she reports to about that.

Vorph_foh

shitlord
Opulis said:
If she is relatively new on the lease, again I"ll pretend she is on month three of a one year contract, instead of working with the management company/landlord to pay exit fees or work through the court system to be absolved of her lease contract, she may be meticulously documenting a "medical" problem which is relatively unverifiable in order to pester her way out of a lease.
That"s exactly what a couple assholes living below me in Atlanta did once.

This sounds more like just your run of the mill nutcase though. There is just no fucking way a normal person could stand to be in a room with a computer that vibrated so much that someone else could feel it through a ceiling.

Having said that, here"s what you need to reduce noise and vibration to next to nothing in an aluminum case:

1 set per HD -Hard Disk Drive Anti-Vibration Screws - 4 Pack - FrozenCPU.com

For your PSU -Vantec PSU Vibration Dampener Kit - FrozenCPU.com

For case fans, look here -Fan Silencers | Page 1 | Sort By: Product Title A-Z - FrozenCPU.com

And finally, aDynamatcomputer kit to finish it off. I"d probably buy that fromEbay, you can find kits for cheap ($10 instead of $30) there.

Edit: I don"t which kind of feet your Lian Li case uses, but if you"ve got metal touching wood or thin carpet, you need something to go in between.

Windemere11_foh

shitlord
Clearly she hopes that becoming "The Woman who can feel all vibrations within 2,000 feet" will help her get published.

It"d be one thing if you lived above her and your computer was on the equivalent of her ceiling... that might actually be plausible. But the idea that something on the ground level that isn"t directly producing sound (ie Subwoofer) is being felt in the room above is re-god-damn-diculous.

I"m willing to guess she just watched that episode of Mythbusters awhile back where they were testing Tesla"s theory on resonate frequencies or some shit and she just decided that your computer is vibrating on the very frequency that will ultimately cause her impending destruction.

Does she have guests regularly? Does she leave her apartment on a daily basis? If the answer to both of these questions is no, then I"d put my money on "I"ll take complete nutjobs for $1400 alex... What is, my [your] neighbor?"

Rig a way to mount your computer to your ceiling directly under her bed.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Quineloe said:
The Princess and the Pea.
Hah, seriously.

Add another vote to: "This bitch is nuts"

I actually find it hard to sleep if I don"t hear my PC and room-fan running.

Laedrun_foh

shitlord
what you need is a supressed .22 pistol, 3 gallons of bleach, a hacksaw, 6 feet of rubber hose, a box of glad 12 gallon trashbags, a couple towels, some scrub brushes, and a nice bottle of cognac.

stehle_foh

shitlord
This is fantastic feedback, thanks to everyone (I especially love the "This is Sparta" comment).

Right now I"m using headphones and I have the computer on one of those anti-fatigue foam mats. There have been quite a few good suggestions on what to use for anti-vibration so I will look into those tonight.

I"ve recently requested the LL to go up and see for himself. I"m just waiting for the crazy neighbor to come home, explode because the latest fix isn"t solving her issues. Then we will perform a little double-blind test. The thing that erks me the most is that she could fix this problem very easily. Go to bed at 11 and wake up at 7. It isn"t like she a job to be at...

As to other people"s comments-- I have definitely been cooperating and going above and beyond the call of duty to help resolve this. I"m not trying to be mean or malicious to our neighbor but even I have my limits. I"m also, honestly, afraid of legal rammifications and being sued for a "pain and suffering" type of suit.

So further reading from an e-mail I got a while back. It started off nice enought but it went downhill from there.

Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 5:39 PM
Hi [me],

I don"t know if you changed anything about your system, but I don"t
feel the intense, ramping vibrations any more. I do, however, still
feel the constant, lower level vibration, and I was wrong, I"m
hearing the machine hum, as well. I"m still unable to fall asleep
until after you"ve turned them off, 10 on Wednesday, 11 or so last
night. If it"s your computers, is there any way you could set them
on something soft or something rubber that might damp the vibrations?

If it"s not you or your computers, I do need to figure out what"s
going on, so please let me know.

Are you guys still planning to have a party tomorrow night?

Thanks,

crazy neighbor
On Feb 9, 2007, at 6:32 PM

We are planning to have dinner out with some friends tomorrow
evening (to celebrate our "Polar Passion Plunge" in the Atlantic Ocean tomorrow for Special Olympics). I"m unsure if people are planning on coming over afterwards--if they did it would be only a few people and probably
not for very long.
She thought the wireless router was the causing the vibration. I resisted making a comment about wearing a tinfoil hat...especially considering there are at least 9 wireless routers operating in the vicinity.

Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 7:05 PM

WOW, you are BRAVE! Good luck, and I hope you have a large cup of
hot chocolate waiting for you when you get out!

Didn"t mean to snoop about your party, by the way, but if you were
planning a late party like last time, I was considering getting a
hotel room. That night, I did feel the weird, intense, ramping
sensation, and it was very uncomfortable. It began around 9:30 or
so. Did you and your guests play a game that night, or have
something on that was transmitting via wireless device?

crazy neighbor
We had a phone chat here where I challenged her comment about this "vibration" has been happening since December 2006, but I had been using my computer since April 2006.

No problem. I didn"t mean to mislead you as to how long this has been a problem - I"ve been complaining about this to my family and friends
in email for over a year now, instead of writing to you to get to the
root of the problem. My fault.

The worst times are when I believe [wife] is out, mostly Tuesdays and
Thursdays (but not *every* T & T). That"s when I have felt the
intense ramping vibrations, and I kind of thought it had been worse
since the middle of January. I was going to ask if you got a new game
or game system for Christmas, like the Wii, or something like that.
Or do you have an effects vest or chair, something that would allow
you to feel the things going on in the game? Was thinking that might
be it. On the other hand, I was out of town for so long, first sick
and then the holidays, that maybe I just forgot how uncomfortable it
is. And as I said, I had no problem sleeping any where else while I
was out of town, so that kind of narrows it down.

I saw an article in Wired online not long ago about a very similar
problem being reported due to WiFi. If that were the problem, I
guess it might be related to your wireless cable router from
Comcast. Do you have any other wireless devices that might be
transmitting something while you"re using the games? Obviously I have
a wireless router, too, but I turn mine off every night, and when I"m
using it, it"s daytime, I"m usually moving around, and I"m not trying
to sleep. Sorry to keep having to bring this up, but I just can"t
keep losing sleep.

Here"s that article from Wired. I realize that the bulk of this
article presents the problems with the argument, but what the British
author describes is exactly what I"m feeling:

Wi-Fi as a Health Hazard [attachments]
drama drama drama...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I hope she finds this thread. Her looking for her symptoms on google may cause it to pop up, and hilarity will ensue.

If you do see this thread, crazy lady, and can"t register to post, send me a pm and I can approve you!

stehle_foh

shitlord
Tuco said:
I hope she finds this thread. Her looking for her symptoms on google may cause it to pop up, and hilarity will ensue.

If you do see this thread, crazy lady, and can"t register to post, send me a pm and I can approve you!
That"s just mean-- but I admit it would be quite entertaining.