Crazy Neighbor Need Advice

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

stehle_foh

shitlord
Skorge said:
Man she seems crazy but that is typical as she is a 40 something year old woman living alone in an apt complex.

I know you said you had your computer on a foam pad but what is your computer sitting on (where is the foam pad). On a desk, floor, etc. What kind of floor do you have?

Try taking a couple of blankets or what not and drop that down then the foam pad, that should insulate the vibrations even more. If that don"t work then I don"t know what will....
The computer is on a foam pad on the floor. I just bought (well, the landlord just bought) a little wheeled cart to see if that helps.

elrich_foh

shitlord
Regarding the high frequency buzzing from CRTs--that"s a totally different issue (or would be). She seems to be complaining about vibrations and not noise, which means it would have to be a low frequency as the lower a frequency the more easily it can travel through solids, where high frequencies get stopped by walls and such very effectively. Even just two layers of dry wall will stop the sound of a CRT buzz--so long as there is no open spaces (like an open stairwell).

But the suggestions that have already been presented are all you need to work with. Don"t give in too much. Take some reasonable steps, and then plant your feet, and work with the LL to sort this shit out (and by sort this shit out, I mean getting rid of her batshit crazy ass).

Oh, and it definitely seems like she is spying on you Sounds like a definite start of schizophrenia, she"s got pretty much all the symptoms, lined up like little duckies.

dooeet_foh

shitlord
This probably goes without saying but if you really are afraid of legal ramificaions I hope you are documenting everything. Obviously with the emails you are, but I would create a log of items like

-Time & Date of Landlord visitations
-Steps taken to correct problems along with dates and times
-Receipts of any sound/vibration dampening items purchased
-Phone conversations if any (preferably recorded just be up front about it) had with tenant & landlord

Cover yourself in every possible way as much as you can.

Leid_foh

shitlord
"How Far You Can Make Someone Go To Accommodate Your Insanity"

That or she"s working for a company that specializes in foam padding.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
You should probably go talk to the police or some authority and get advice. No need to try to get her cuffed or sued or anything, but you"d be surprised how many people in law enforcement can give you some good info. They live the law and deal with people constantly all day, its good to get some knowledge on your rights versus your "opponent"s", or just dealing with a whacko.

Some of the stuff you"ve mentioned or shown already is pretty spooky. Its possible the landlord might cave in to her nonsense just to shut her up, but that could put you in a bind. If things start to get even more scary, you can at least go to the police and get a hand to help out.

Injektilo_foh

shitlord
Tell her to go fuck herself, stop answering the emails and phone calls and be done with it. Its your apartment, you"re doing nothing wrong, you"ve been nothing but accommodating and shes being ridiculous.

Seriously, just stop catering to her and start ignoring her, otherwise i have no sympathy.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Regarding the high frequency buzzing from CRTs--that"s a totally different issue (or would be).
I realize it"s a different issue, I"m just saying that some people can be freakishly sensitive to certain things, so it"s not outside the realm of possibility that she"s able to detect the computer running without using a stethoscope or peephole or something. Whether it"s causing the symptoms or not, I really doubt it. It does sound like she"s just flat out nuts. I"m glad I live in a building where a) I own my place and they can"t kick me out, no matter what and b) it"s nice enough that the cost of buying a unit there filters out most of the idiots.

Zuuljin_foh

shitlord
So easy. Leave your computer on. Call her and ask her if she"s feeling the vibrations. If she says yes, tell her that your computer is turned off, so that cant be it, it must be something up at her appartment. Problem solved. Or tell her it might be that little Cats Eye gnome in the cieling sharpening his dagger, just to creep her out.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I managed a restaurant in San Francisco that was at the bottom level of an office building. The people that were directly above us were having business issues and couldn"t afford their rent anymore. So they started insisting how there was a smell leaking into their offices from our ceiling. Now, they weren"t complaining about regular food smells. He kept saying something about a very strong metallic smell and/or cleaner.

We did everything in our power to show there was no leak. We had a contractor come out and go up in our ceiling to seal off any cracks that may have actually existed from when they put the restaurant in. Eventually the Superintedent of the building went up there anytime he would complain about it, and he could never smell what the guy was complaining about.

Eventually they moved out and, there was a lawsuit ongoing when I left. Now, that isn"t to say that is what she is doing. Just thought I would add my story, since somebody mentioned she could possibly doing something like this.

Oh yeah, and she is crazy!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Clearly you"re going to have to purchase a high-resolution seismometer and do tests to ensure your computer isn"t sending dangerous vibrations her way!

Although honestly, it"s possible something incredible rare and bizarre is happening. People living near wind turbines complain about headaches and disorientation, and science is only beginning to understand what"s causing it.

Drajakur_foh

shitlord
People saying you should go to the cops are morons. What you should be doing, however, is heading down to your local government-sponsored housing or tenant association to ask their advice. There is nothing that scares the shit out of a LL more than that, because most people have zero concept of their rights when it comes to renting. This way, if you start getting hassled, it is good to know your rights in advance. Plus, I guarantee that "owning and running a PC late at night" is in no place in the godamned world a legitimate excuse for being kicked out of your rental or whatnot.

D

vurt_foh

shitlord
Can you tell if your LL thinks she"s nuts? Ultimately, it doesn"t really matter what your deranged neighbour thinks as long as your LL recognizes that she"s deranged.

If he thinks she"s being reasonable (or at least entertaining the idea that she has a legitimate problem), why do you think that is?

Fammaden_foh

shitlord
This might be a ruse she is using to mask some greater bit of insanity. She probably notices you playing MMO"s all hours of the day and night and thinks you are trying to hack through the wireless router master web into her secret word docs outlining the alien overlords" plans to invade this solar system. If she comes up with some "legit" way to interrupt you it might buy her the time she needs to complete the blueprints on the portable brainwave scrambler units.

Try confronting her one on one sometime and saying something cryptic yet leading like "I know what you are trying to do and it isn"t going to work" and then walking away. If she backs away from you so rapidly that her head bounces off the nearest wall, then you know I am onto something!