Credit Score Question

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The bills went to court and totalled 1700, 9 accounts over 9 years.

They prosecuted you for only $1700? Wow. That's almost not even worth mentioning when it comes to significant debt. How does that amount split over the nine accounts? Is the $1700 what remains? Or is that the amount you haven't paid (and if you haven't, how long have you not paid)? Is it Experian that this was reported to? What was the initial debt amount if $1700 is what remains?

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
1697 total amount in the judgement - each account 150 to 300, with interest and court fees it was 2197.

All of that is now paid and being reported July 10th.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
I dont care what it costs to get things done I refuse to believe I have to have this sit here.

fucking rich people can do anything they want, there has to be a way a middle aged guy trying to pay his debt can catch a break.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
1697 total amount in the judgement - each account 150 to 300, with interest and court fees it was 2197.

All of that is now paid and being reported July 10th.

Then you're good. The accounts will show as paid in full, which can positively affect your score. However, if you have no other outstanding good debt, your score will suffer from having only paid off accounts, and no other debt -- no debt is like having no credit, and no credit is worse than a bad score. Having those paid off accounts on your record is probably more beneficial, than harmful.

Get yourself a shitty credit card with a $300 line, pay for your gas with it, and pay it in full every month. In less than 6 months, your score will go up 20-40 points. In two years, upwards of +120 points, assuming the credit line grows, and you show consistent, on time payment history.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
I have a 300$ card I received that I just requested to have the limit raised after 4 months and it was bumped to 400$, the agent also said that if my payments aren't missed at the 6 month mark it goes up to 750$.

When do I apply for another card? Do i?

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Also follow up. When you say use it, do you mean pay 400$ off with stuff, then let the bill cycle and pay the bill the following month to 0, and continue and repeat?

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I would wait a few months until your score gets bumped up a bit and get an easy card to get like a Capital One or something and just keep buying little shit and paying it off / keep a super minimal balance. You don't want to apply for stuff and get rejected and have a bunch of hard pulls knock 10 more points of your score.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Capital One is who I have my current with. I was thinking of applying at my bank Chase, yay/nay until the score goes up? More credit with longer history is worse than short history higher credit?

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
I honestly can't believe how fucking stupid I am and how bad I fucked off to have to be doing this on a video game forum I've visited for 2 decades (well since noows).

Thanks everyone for the help and advice again, all is appreciated and heard.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
I would wait a few months until your score gets bumped up a bit and get an easy card to get like a Capital One or something and just keep buying little shit and paying it off / keep a super minimal balance. You don't want to apply for stuff and get rejected and have a bunch of hard pulls knock 10 more points of your score.

Ok so do I fill up the 400$ and pay it the day 1 of the following cycle, or before the cycle ends?

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I think Credit Karma will give you odds on your chance of being accepted by different cards. I would err on the side of caution to avoid failed pulls though. I think as long as the month end utilization is low, you should be good. You seem very eager to hurry this process along and unfortunately, it's like trust, it just takes some time to get back to normal.

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Capital One is who I have my current with. I was thinking of applying at my bank Chase, yay/nay until the score goes up? More credit with longer history is worse than short history higher credit?

I have a few Chase cards, they are good, although I'm not sure they are in your credit score range. What's it up to now? Credit repair can be a long process, patient will go a long way. Long credit history is important. I wouldn't apply for a ton of cards, a lot of "hard pulls" on your credit can have a negative score. Which Capital One card do you have? The secured one?

If it's one that gives points for groceries, gas, I'd just use it for that. You don't have to max it out right away. Just charge it thru the month, pay it off at the end of the month.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Sound advice, thanks!

When you say charge it through the month and pay it before the end, you mean BEFORE the cycle ends, effectively showing 0 usage when it reports..?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You don't need to max the card to get a good rating. They are looking for timely payments. It can actually hurt your score if you have maxed your credit out. As said, buy gas and other trivial things and pay it off in-full before the end of each month. Let time do its thing and you will see the score rise.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I want to know if a 850 is actually possible to receive, they dangle the carrot just to torture you with it.

credit (1).JPG

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Even with never having any kind of negative mark it was at least 10+ yrs before it went over 800, don't think I will ever borrow money again so it does me not a lick of good. I believe it is used to help calculate insurance rates for home owners and car insurance though.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I want to know if a 850 is actually possible to receive, they dangle the carrot just to torture you with it.

View attachment 147173

Made me curious. I was higher but I think I got some 'medium' impact cause wife and I just both got new cars this year and so it brought the average age of my credit down, even though I have houses and shit I've been making payments on for 10-15 years.

The real interesting thing is Transunion doesn't have my oldest home loan on the books, but equifax does. Weird.

upload_2017-6-23_17-57-24.png

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I believe it is used to help calculate insurance rates for home owners and car insurance though.

Yup, I think you usually get into the lowest rate bracket on all sorts of loans if you are above 690. I'm sure some higher risk loans requires better credit though.