Crimson Peak - Guillermo del Toro's return to horror

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I thought he didn't want to do it because he wanted an R rating and the studio would only do PG-13. Don't even know if it was the same studio that produced this movie, but it's a fairly large budget R rated horror flick. I guess that's what I find to be frustrating with the Mountains of Madness deal.

Anyways, brief plot synopsis:

Female lead is an aspiring writer who saw the ghost of her mom as a kid, and her ghost mom warns her of Crimson Peak. Grows up, meets Loki, a down and out english gentlmen who seeks funding from her father to build his mud mining contraption and rebuild his family wealth. Father doesn't like Loki because he didn't earn anything and has a bad feeling about him, so denies funding. Female lead falls in love with Loki, father won't approve of marriage due to intel from a PI he hired. Father is murdered "mysteriously", the two get married, and move off to the creepy manor to live with his sister.

Girl starts to see ghosts around the house, who are pointing her to clues. Starts to unravel mystery with said clues, and discovers Loki and his sister are marrying women and murdering them for their money. Some bullshit ensues, the guy who drove the robot in the other movie shows up because he's a detective after having read Sherlock Holmes, some more shit happens, and that's it. Oh, she also finds out Loki and his sister are lovers in an awkward handjob scene. There are no tits in the movie either, just some man-ass.

That's pretty much it...

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Caught a matinee this afternoon, and it's definitely worth passing on. Was absolutely boring. I understand he's trying to do gothic horror, but it's a boring fucking movie.
Gothic Romance, not horror. The movie's trailer is very misleading in that fact.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
You could have stripped all the ghost stuff out of it and it wouldnt have mattered at all.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Saw it tonight. I liked it quite a bit, but I'm also a sucker for any gothic style horror movies (such a sucker, in fact, that I rewatched the most recent Wolfman last week). I tempered my expectation after reading some of your reviews in here and RT, but I was pleasantly surprised. I never felt it was especially slow. The locations are beautiful. The ghosts were all pretty cool, despite getting a bit generic toward the end. It's much gorier than I had anticipated (which is a good thing). I'd definitely give it a chance if you were thinking about opting out

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've found all GDT's stuff boring. I've also found myself really wanting to like his stuff: Pan's Labyrinth, Bellboy 2, etc.
In a way he's like Michael Bay: Good art direction, bad at story direction.

GDT = Looks good, but boring

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I've found all GDT's stuff boring. I've also found myself really wanting to like his stuff: Pan's Labyrinth, Bellboy 2, etc.
In a way he's like Michael Bay: Good art direction, bad at story direction.

GDT = Looks good, but boring
Fascinating observation!

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
i was looking way too hard into this; the plot was spoilered in the trailer

I had assumed that the plot from the trailer was to "throw you off" and that the blonde girl was crazy the entire time. the dad refused to send his daughter off with the englishman because something was wrong with her after her mother died and that is what he showed to loki, some kind of medical record. i also assumed they were attempting to medicate her with the tea she stopped drinking which increased the amount of ghosts.

like i said, i was reading WAY too much into it. 4/10 wouldn't watch again.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I saw this movie and regret it. Pretty damn boring and no mind-fuck plot or decent horror.