Crowfall

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Some people are going to hate the interview because there aren't any concrete updates but I loved it. It was more high scope development philosophy on how they plan on creating the game. I think the core lesson to be learned is that the game is still in early development and details are fluid but the scope is very much there. It's really a matter of tweaking. Imagine a dev armchair debate on these forums but with an actual dev. There are some specifics in there as well though.

The point of the interview was to get their intentions and their design ideas on the plate so we can see where they are going with the game. All the specific details are really not finalized at all and it's still in the early development cycle. I'll do a follow up interview in like 3-6 months.

There was a dumar reference in the interview.

If you were expecting specific details on EK vs. Campaign and how X specifically works, you'll be disappointed. But that should be expected with how Todd has been talking about the game. They are very much in the weeds discussing the details of the game.

But towards the end you'll learn how the day-to-day play of the game could be like. I thought that was really cool.
I think them being at this stage is appropriate for where they are in the development cycle, but it's a little annoying that their response to most questions seem to be, "Let's talk about features that will probably never be implemented!". It's all just hopium, imo.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is where Vitality spends spring and summer digging a huge hole in the ground, hoarding all his shit and just sitting inside his hole and having a pint until the whole thing blows over and he emerges the victor.
Haha. Well, just hiding doesn't get you any closer to the set victory condition (unless just surviving IS the victory condition, which in that case - it sounds like a good strategy!).

Vitality

HUSTLE
I'll be hiding in plain sight. I intend to sell Tuco weapons at extremely nice rates while also selling his enemies weapons.

I am a manipulator at heart.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'll be hiding in plain sight. I intend to sell Tuco weapons at extremely nice rates while also selling his enemies weapons.

I am a manipulator at heart.
I'm not accusing you this, but it reminded me of some of the hype I see around the CF communities. One thing about pre-release communities is there is always a notion that someone can just focus on crafting and become an independent master craftsmith without a guild to back them. This is a total myth and usually the top crafters are in the big guilds who have people funneling them resources, especially the high end resources.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They won't answer yet. But it appears that there are some people internally that are against them for whatever reason.
I can't believe there is anyone on the team that thinks hiding a nameplate is good. Seriously, WTF?

I'm still a fan but this is a deal breaker 100%

I'm not into another GW2 carebear pvp where you could not know who you were killing.

Even last night I was playing TF2 and a guy named Jaxon had my number. He kept killing me over and over. I will not forget him, he is now my mortal enemy and can't wait to log on tonght with my Fax beer and stomp him! It makes the game so much more rewarding imo.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I'm not accusing you this, but it reminded me of some of the hype I see around the CF communities. One thing about pre-release communities is there is always a notion that someone can just focus on crafting and become an independent master craftsmith without a guild to back them. This is a total myth and usually the top crafters are in the big guilds who have people funneling them resources, especially the high end resources.
I'm a market manipulator, not a crafter. If this game has some sort of volatile healthy econ, I'll be somewhere near the center of it.

Example: RR WoW guild bank - didn't craft any of it. #guildspecial

Bruman

Golden Squire
I can't believe there is anyone on the team that thinks hiding a nameplate is good. Seriously, WTF?

I'm still a fan but this is a deal breaker 100%

I'm not into another GW2 carebear pvp where you could not know who you were killing.

Even last night I was playing TF2 and a guy named Jaxon had my number. He kept killing me over and over. I will not forget him, he is now my mortal enemy and can't wait to log on tonght with my Fax beer and stomp him! It makes the game so much more rewarding imo.
Just to play devil's advocate (because I don't really care either way) - but TF2 doesn't have nameplates.

I think the arguments in the "anti-nameplate" crowd include how much it clutters the screen (see: any AA screenshot), and meanwhile there other ways to let you build rivalries and seek people out (like FPSes do). The most difficult part is being able to tell people apart in a MMO when you're zoomed out to outer space, there's 100 people there, and only like 5 types of armor they might be wearing.

Vitality

HUSTLE
TF2 has death notifications that show you who killed you, as well as a board showing who you're up against.

People on the official forums are advocating the <a centaur bigboy> has killed you stuff.

The people internally probably saw this poll:

rrr_img_91428.jpg

Bruman

Golden Squire
TF2 has death notifications that show you who killed you, as well as a board showing who you're up against.

People on the official forums are advocating the <a centaur bigboy> has killed you stuff.

The people internally probably saw this poll:

rrr_img_91428.jpg
Yeah, that was my point. There's other ways to get the rivalry stuff people are wanting without nameplates, that are well known and proven.

The "spotting your enemy in the crowd" thing, though, I don't know how to do in a MMO. Unless they also take a nod from something like TF2 and they get an icon above their head.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Rivalries make long lasting MMO's great. There are still people from WoW and Warhammer I think about and how good it felt to kill them.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Every time you die, it should impale your corpse with the guild standard of the enemy that killed you.

Vitality

HUSTLE
The devs should go play planetside 2 and then talk about vision based nameplates and kill notifications.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I think them being at this stage is appropriate for where they are in the development cycle, but it's a little annoying that their response to most questions seem to be, "Let's talk about features that will probably never be implemented!". It's all just hopium, imo.
They talk about the features, but more of a high level kind of way, not specific. You'll definitely get a feel of where they want to go and how they will make the game.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Those people are stupid. One guy told me they wanted to make their EK a place people can sit and relax. He wanted to make a bar and host voxel games.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Yeah, that was my point. There's other ways to get the rivalry stuff people are wanting without nameplates, that are well known and proven.

The "spotting your enemy in the crowd" thing, though, I don't know how to do in a MMO. Unless they also take a nod from something like TF2 and they get an icon above their head.
It can be done as DAOC did it just fine but it does require other systems in play:

1. Character silhouette
2. Distinctive armor/dyes/cloaks/emblems/etc.
3. Character rank (racial specific titles)
4. Kill spam with locations

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Note that they're still in the, "Let's not cross anything off the table so we can get as much money as possible from our target audience.". Saying, "I've got no problem with nameplates, but others on the development team do" could be, "Yeah no nameplates is a retarded idea but there's a lot of retards on our forums right now."