Crowfall

iannis

Musty Nester
They're smart enough to hire a pretty girl to keep on staff. If her job is nothing but to look pretty for the camera it is still money well spent.

This won't be vaporware either way, but the odds of it being halfway competent increase with that show of "Yeah, we do actually know how shit works IRL. Nerds."

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
One thing that worries me is whether they'll really bring in enough cash to develop this game right. They've got $2mil in VC already, who knows how much of that is left, and then they'll bring in another 1.5-2 million from the Kickstarter.

Obviously they aren't going AAA in scope or budget, but can they really get this thing done on less than 10mil? I don't know enough about the business end to say myself. I'm rooting for them though...I live in Austin so I'll offer to shelter homeless devs if they get Pantheon'ed.
tongue.png

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also the crowns and crows (LoTD) podcast looks like they called it quits (or atleast the main guy running it did)
Don't blame them, considering their last video got like 30 views.

However, what did they really expect? We know so little concrete details that it's basically just a lot of 'What If?'.

One thing that worries me is whether they'll really bring in enough cash to develop this game right. They've got $2mil in VC already, who knows how much of that is left, and then they'll bring in another 1.5-2 million from the Kickstarter.

Obviously they aren't going AAA in scope or budget, but can they really get this thing done on less than 10mil? I don't know enough about the business end to say myself. I'm rooting for them though...I live in Austin so I'll offer to shelter homeless devs if they get Pantheon'ed.
tongue.png
They've basically said they'll do what it takes to get the game funded/finished. They want to self-publish, but will seek a publisher if needed.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Don't blame them, considering their last video got like 30 views.

However, what did they really expect? We know so little concrete details that it's basically just a lot of 'What If?'.

They've basically said they'll do what it takes to get the game funded/finished. They want to self-publish, but will seek a publisher if needed.
rrr_img_92899.png

ili_sl

shitlord

tongue.png
Dreg an EK are the only things promised and I think most people overestimate the size of the Dreg's map. Dreg campaigns are randomly generated maps(they are still unsure how long these will last(1 to 6 month depending n popularity). I don't really see why they need a ton of money for this.

They talk a lot of bullshit about other stuff but only promised those 2 things.

So pretty much a lobby to join from (your EK) and a FFA pvp map (dreg) to play in.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
One thing that worries me is whether they'll really bring in enough cash to develop this game right.
My main worry from the video is that their procedural generation doesn't look enough procedural. It appears to be based on hand-crafted tiles (ref: the guy showing off his village to Natalie) stitched together.

This has a double drawback: Not enough variety (the tiles will be quickly recognizable after a couple campaigns) and expensive to make (each tile).

I was expecting more like a full-scale map generation (fractal heightmap) with high-level rules about features, coupled with procedural placement of props (ressources, ruins, villages). That would keep the costs of development down, allowing quality looks without the ballooning costs of level design.

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
My main worry from the video is that their procedural generation doesn't look enough procedural. It appears to be based on hand-crafted tiles (ref: the guy showing off his village to Natalie) stitched together.

This has a double drawback: Not enough variety (the tiles will be quickly recognizable after a couple campaigns) and expensive to make (each tile).

I was expecting more like a full-scale map generation (fractal heightmap) with high-level rules about features, coupled with procedural placement of props (ressources, ruins, villages). That would keep the costs of development down, allowing quality looks without the ballooning costs of level design.
Sounds like they should study at the No Man's Sky school of procedural content generation on a shoestring budget. Though that game has yet to come out too...sigh...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I'm just assuming their plan is to get a few developers together and say to them, "Okay we hyped up procedural land generation being the solution to things and people bought into it, can you cash the checks our mouths wrote?".

The guys doing the layout in that video will probably be creating all the art assets and that manual layout is the backup plan if they can't hire competent developers to do procedural generation.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like they should study at the No Man's Sky school of procedural content generation on a shoestring budget. Though that game has yet to come out too...sigh...
Like you say it's not out. It's very possible the stuff you saw wasn't procedurally generated at all, but is a glimpse of the kind of procedural generation they want to do.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I'm just assuming their plan is to get a few developers together and say to them, "Okay we hyped up procedural land generation being the solution to things and people bought into it, can you cash the checks our mouths wrote?".

The guys doing the layout in that video will probably be creating all the art assets and that manual layout is the backup plan if they can't hire competent developers to do procedural generation.
They've discussed, as the initial starting experience of a campaign, players having the ability to rummage through abandoned towns/mines/ruins to find starting resources. I'd imagine that town setup was one of them. No concrete details as to what that entails. I also don't mind some of these towns being static assets. I'd imagine it'd be pretty crazy expensive to procedurally generate a town flawlessly.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Updates from Kickstarter you might have missed:

On tax free parcels, there is a lot of new EK info scheduled for next week. We will sell these post-Kickstarter but again, you'll wish you'd gotten them during Kickstarter. As to being competitive in being a merchant, size of the EK may help but branding and value will be more important is my take.

Mar 15 2015 on Crowfall - Throne War PC MMO

"
We haven't settled on all the items for the collectors edition, but it will be competitive with what you are used to for that kind of package, it's still more than 1.5 years away after all!

Mar 15 2015 on Crowfall - Throne War PC MMO