Crowfall

Vitality

HUSTLE
I don't think your rift analogy is very far off. Instead, the way the hunger works, the entire proposed world is hypothecally one big rift invasion.

The main problem with rift is that the invasions were never threatening to you in any way aside from taking over a quest hub for a short period of time.

In this proposed iteration of the concept the PVE element is supposed to do significant damage to player influenced elements (constructed towns etc) if left unchecked. If they do the rulesets a certain way on a world the primary win condition could be to survive against an ever increasingly difficult stream of mobs for weeks or something.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Rifts were great in beta and then all the bitches cried how they took over their quest hubs and couldn't turn in quests so they nerfed them.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That the hunger week was 'brutal' makes me think that they didn't have much of the information they dispersed a week ago, and rather than giving us a peek inside their gaming outfit they were producing content on the fly. As in, rather than saying, "Hey Bob the Artist, could you just record a few seconds of whatever model you have laying around and send it to Jane the Marketer?". They said, "Hey Bob the Artist, welcome to the team. To get started can you please work 16 hour days and do a concept of a bobcat in all the seasons then make a textured 3d rendering of it. We need it in three days. Thanks."

Additionally I wonder if the words written in the articles weren't excerpts from their already existing game documents they've been working on their entire career but were instead the different lead devs trawling the forums and thinking, "All right what do these nerds want to hear.".

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't think your rift analogy is very far off. Instead, the way the hunger works, the entire proposed world is hypothecally one big rift invasion.

The main problem with rift is that the invasions were never threatening to you in any way aside from taking over a quest hub for a short period of time.

In this proposed iteration of the concept the PVE element is supposed to do significant damage to player influenced elements (constructed towns etc) if left unchecked.
Yeah TES4:Oblivion had the same problem. The Oblivion Gates were a total non-threat. TES5:Skyrim solved this problem by making the dragons/vampires very liable to kill NPCs. This made dragons more impactful and changing to the game world because the friendly blacksmith or town drunk would get wasted and you might even lose out on a quest from it.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Yeah TES4:Oblivion had the same problem. The Oblivion Gates were a total non-threat. TES5:Skyrim solved this problem by making the dragons/vampires very liable to kill NPCs. This made dragons more impactful and changing to the game world because the friendly blacksmith or town drunk would get wasted and you might even lose out on a quest from it.
Unless you were like me who silent casted max level atronauchs and cheesed all these fights lol. (Legendary difficulty no heavy armor no enchanting no bow challenge with a buddy)

@tucopost1 - yeah they copy pasted a few documents into some of the info drops. Atleast they're marketing their game though. Most of it is fluff, sure, some of it (like world ruleset examples) is pretty meaty though.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I'm with tuco.

Why exactly was hunger week so taxing and brutal on anybody? I asked jtodd this directly. Waiting on a damage control response.

I mean unless they were generating the revealed content in real time, it should not have been "brutal".

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm with tuco.

Why exactly was hunger week so taxing and brutal on anybody? I asked jtodd this directly. Waiting on a damage control response.

I mean unless they were generating the revealed content in real time, it should not have been "brutal".
I'm eager to hear that answer but I doubt they'll give a good one. Probably the only answer I'd accept is, "well we're in the middle of an internal pre-alpha roll out that we didn't want during the hunger week, so balancing our people's time between this and the alpha was tough!".

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Didn't respond to me, but this was in another answer to someone else's question about their office hours, routine etc

Todd and I get in around 8am, the rest of the team rolls in between then an 10am depending on their schedules. We have a team standup meeting at 10am that lasts 10-15 minutes then we all focus on the day's priorities. Our core hours when we expect everyone to be in the office are 10am-5pm. Depending on the day, and daddy duties, Todd and I leave somewhere between 5:30pm and 7pm, It's rare for more than a couple of people to be here after 7pm. We haven't had any official crunch, but more than a few of the folks have taken some of the tougher work home and worked through it to stay on target.

We have a really professional team (by design), so we spend almost no time checking up on people beyond the daily standup and end of sprint reviews. Our people want to be working on this, they don't need a taskmaster standing over them. We do spend a lot of time dialoging with people as we start new systems and elements though, it's not unusual to find 2-5 people sitting on the couches outside our offices talking and drawing to get consensus on how a particular task will be tackled.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Rifts used to be so much more but the devs were a bunch of pussies. Which is a shame because they could of had something. But there was whining.

I didn't even know it was hunger week. And that was a lot of content?

These fucker are making an mmo and they've 'been in the business' for 15 years. They should know better about the hype cycle.

The problem with devs and creative types being in charge of management, marketing, budgets and deadlines is that they don't know what to fuck they are doing. They let their creative 'spirit' guide them because they are over excited.

If they can effectively channel that, they can do good. If not, it will be a mess of confusing updates, crushed dreams and angry neckbeards yelling at them on Twitter.

They've done a decent job so far, but they can't start building up expectations so early. If their big announcement coming up is an empty one, they will fail.

They really need to pace themselves.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
From TullyAckland

The brutal comment was actually "Brutal for Tully", specifically. While we have a ton of assets and footage already in the backlog there's a lot of minor tasks (adding watermarks, cleaning images up, pushing social media and wrangling text from Todd) that needs to be done for every publish. Combine that with the rest of my job (Design meetings, business meetings and communicating with you guys on the forums, press sites and social media) a daily release can be intense!

Remember, we're a very small team right now.

Vitality

HUSTLE
A lot of those info drops weren't even hype worthy in my opinion.

No combat first looks or engine demonstrations. Just concept art mostly. Pretty run of the mill at this stage of development.

I just hope they don't get any worse (less valuable info) or it starts walking into gold plated turd territory.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
A lot of those info drops weren't even hype worthy in my opinion.

No combat first looks or engine demonstrations. Just concept art mostly. Pretty run of the mill at this stage of development.

I just hope they don't get any worse (less valuable info) or it starts walking into gold plated turd territory.
This... good points and hope they get it. Otherwise, they'll deflate and have to work twice as hard to get their captive audience back.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I think if these guys wanted to do something nuts they'd jack a webcam into Twitch for a week in their office or something. Maybe do a week long stream of a guy making that white walker cat.

I'd watch neckbeards play hacky sack.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I think if these guys wanted to do something nuts they'd jack a webcam into Twitch for a week in their office or something. Maybe do a week long stream of a guy making that white walker cat.

Vit.. you need to consult these guys or something. Can we please get a couple of their guys in here? Anyone got some connections? Maybe our Pantheon reputation hasn't scared everyone off....

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

You're a neckbeard... You just don't know it yet..

I find it funny some of you are complaining about the rifts being nerfed. That was forced grouping disguised. Forced grouping really is good:)

Vitality

HUSTLE
Vit.. you need to consult these guys or something. Can we please get a couple of their guys in here? Anyone got some connections? Maybe our Pantheon reputation hasn't scared everyone off....
I'm full of ideas babe, I think our pantheon rep actually helps us if you think about it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You're a neckbeard... You just know it yet..

I find it funny some of you are complaining about the rifts being nerfed. That was forced grouping disguised. Forced grouping really is good:)
Not sure what you're saying here but this community really likes forced grouping. In general this community prefers MMOs that require grouping at almost all levels. The basic reasoning being: the only reason we enjoy these games is to play with other people and MMOs that allow everyone to solo hamper that.

An interesting take on it was EQ. When I raided the best solo classes were necro, druid, SK and paladin. And the classes least desired in groups/raids in large numbers were generally necro, druid, SK and paladin. Meanwhile raids were stacked with lots of warriors, clerics, rogues and wizards. So this created a dichotomy where the different classes were more strongly typed than just dps/tank/heals.

Though to be fair to my comparison, wizards could quadkite and DPS in raids and sk/paladins were generally awful all around. Actually my memory of this dynamic is really foggy and I should just abandon this post now.