Crowfall

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Their ideas and execution so far deserves a pledge... even if it's against my better judgement.
rolleyes.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So team death match, campaign multiplier game, set in a fantasy world. Campaigns last somewhere around 3 months, more/less. Campaign's are controlled by a campaign master, who sets the rules. What could go wrong? lol. Man you guys are fiending hard here. Its going to fail if/when people can start their own private campaigns to max out characters.
From what I can tell players can only set the rules in the EK tier, which has no resources. No telling what character advancement can happen in the EK vs where the cool kids are in the dregs.
Rulesets are dynamic from campaign to campaign. So winners are decided according to the rules that are established by the devs for a campaign before it launches. They could restrict guild movement or allow players to change guilds mid-campaign. Treachery is something they leave open the possibility for.

Dregs is FFA. Anyone can attack anyone. I doubt it's limited to two guilds in the Shadow. They already have a three faction world. Shadow is probably open to as many guilds as wish to participate.
Sure, the devs set the winning conditions, but what winning conditions make sense in the dregs? A positive k/d ratio?

Tol_sl

shitlord
One of the best times I had besides EQ1 was playing War and whatever that Lion class was on the good side that let you target from across the map. In the lava PvP zone I would send that fucker in and then just laugh as he "300 drop kicked" fools into the lava. Good shit.
The most fun I had in warhammer online was as an archmage. There was that AE asshole knockback and a stage full of narrow pathways and lava.

What I'm not understanding is how many campaigns will be running at once? It sounds like there's less of a unified one and more lots of smaller worlds and player rulesets. Is there going to be "main event" kind of campaigns that the majority of players will be in?

Column_sl

shitlord
Crowd funding MMO's is a loss imo. The type of capital you need to do something that can live out of the generic F2P realm is retarded.

This is not the days of EQ were you could get by with some low poly graphics. The worlds now are going to be so scrutinized because the bar is set so high now. No small team can hope to accomplish that anymore.

These start ups should just be realistic and try to create something old school like allot of the kickstarters are doing for 2d platform games.

Just take the diku mud base, and then add some low poly graphics into it with a good game system in place. Good animations etc. Or copy some of the really old PVP mmos people loved back in the day.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Crowd funding MMO's is a loss imo. The type of capital you need to do something that can live out of the generic F2P realm is retarded.

This is not the days of EQ were you could get by with some low poly graphics. The worlds now are going to be so scrutinized because the bar is set so high now. No small team can hope to accomplish that anymore.

These start ups should just be realistic and try to create something old school like allot of the kickstarters are doing for 2d platform games.

Just take the diku mud base, and then add some low poly graphics into it with a good game system in place. Good animations etc. Or copy some of the really old PVP mmos people loved back in the day.
Yeah, developers need to stop trying to compete with WoW. Let WoW be WoW, do your own thing in the MMO genre. Kind of why I'm interested in Crowfall, Shroud of the Avatar, Albion. There's room for so much craziness in this genre, it's just waiting to be taken advantage of.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Crowfall doesn't seem to be setting itself out to be a big budget MMO. They're reusing COTS software, have generally low-fidelity graphics, have only basic PvE content and uses randomly generated zones.

Column_sl

shitlord
It just seems a small amount for a true open world MMO, and the worst thing to do is make anything important client side.

Lets say they make their game for 800k which is peanuts. Is there infrastructure even set up to support a MMO. I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see a large scale MMO working these days that isn't backed by some serious money.

Were in a diffrent world now with way more hard core gamers. Some nerd gets mad you nerfed his +5 sword of slaying your servers get taken down for a month.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It just seems a small amount for a true open world MMO, and the worst thing to do is make anything important client side.

Lets say they make their game for 800k which is peanuts. Is there infrastructure even set up to support a MMO. I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see a large scale MMO working these days that isn't backed by some serious money.

Were in a diffrent world now with way more hard core gamers. Some nerd gets mad you nerfed his +5 sword of slaying your servers get taken down for a month.
I don't know exactly what this means:
https://www.crunchbase.com/organizat...-entertainment

But I think they have 2.4 mill of VC. Then they get more from crowdfunding. Even if they didn't have any VC I'd expect them to get some if they did well via crowdfunding.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I had to pledge during a sales presentation and snagged gold early bird. If I had noticed it, I would of done amber but I missed it.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
In the KS video @5:00 they show a toon building his castle with Voxels, would be hilarious if the tools are more intuitive than Landmark's.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see a large scale MMO working these days that isn't backed by some serious money.
Well, FWIW, they say many times that they're not trying to make a large scale MMO. They're not trying to get a WoW-sized population.

Caliane

In the KS video @5:00 they show a toon building his castle with Voxels, would be hilarious if the tools are more intuitive than Landmark's.
I don't think its possible for something to be less intuitive then landmarks.