Crowfall

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
Seems like the solution is to figure out mechanics to turn the EK's into a source of potential conflict without making the more softcore players feel like they're going to lose all their stuff.

Maybe if you acquire all the land surrounding some guy's parcel and activate lockout mode so he can't travel through your land, you can force him to sell, lol.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Seems like the solution is to figure out mechanics to turn the EK's into a source of potential conflict without making the more softcore players feel like they're going to lose all their stuff.

Maybe if you acquire all the land surrounding some guy's parcel and activate lockout mode so he can't travel through your land, you can force him to sell, lol.
Maybe if you blow the right person gm's can just use eminent domain and you can get your way.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Since they've stated dregs and EK are the primary module they are working on and alternate rulesets are further down the line/stretch goal type things then I think the most important question is what is the "win" condition of FFA PVP? I mean this is the base game they thought about while designing, and reason why the systems they have in place exist, right? the other rule sets are just extra stuff they can do since campaign worlds die and start again, might as well change the rules of them, right? but the founding principle behind everything we've seen is the FFA game.

some people seem to think it'll be something like positive K/D ratio but I'm of the opinion that it'll be more akin to "surviving winter." Why have seasons and warmth if it's just fluff backdrop to a 1-3 month battle arena?

The way I envision it is that players/groups will fight and contest over resources especially during the spring and summer seasons, forming into loose coalitions and alliances (as blobbing is something that players do) to build defenses and structures to survive while also taking out other groups of coalitions/alliances. but as fall comes around you simply cannot generate enough warmth to support massive coalitions of players and they begin bickering and in-fighting amongst themselves (this is where the GoT parallel comes in to play) as resources become more scarce, mobs become more and more powerful and legions of undead descend upon your fortifications. By winter the hunger threat is almost a daily concern in addition to lone wolf/roving bands of players in "hail mary" desperation attacks to get resources to survive (or maybe just to deny you a win). If your hut/fort/castle or whatever is still standing at the end of the campaign and you still have enough warmth resource to live then you win and take home 100% of what you have, if not you basically don't have a safe place to spawn without dying to hordes of undead anyway and so you lose and bring home 0%.

I suppose my question is, am I on the right track as far as dreg's victory conditions or is it more akin to w/l, k/d, pvp leaderboard style?

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
Funded before the weekend even started.

59661943.jpg

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I like to imagine Brad looking at other successful gaming Kickstarters, such as this one, and thinking to himself "I did theexactsamething, I just don't get it!"

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The game is the campaign. In the campaign you build castles and siege shit.Your kingdom is your guild as you battle it out inside campaigns.
Quoting this not to adress Draegan but the various posts about short campaigns. This quote is what the game is about (I hope). If you do that from start to finish every other week, it doesnt carry any weight. Closest comparison would be GW2 if it had a new map every two weeks. I'm not sure the new map alone can carry the game if it turns into a routine like this: day 1 scout, day 2 harvest, day 3 build fortress, 2-4 days of battling it out and by then you have a victor and a bunch of people that lost this campaign and just play their other char in a different campaign, campaign-hopped or swore fealty to get at least some of their rewards out.

Instead I hope that exploring and getting to know the new world, then gathering and building your outposts and finding out who and where the opposing forces are taking hold takes a week or two. Then a month of back+forth and a few weeks of winter as it becomes harder to get resources to repair your keeps and you are driven towards a loss by attrition (which is the point where people will again drop out of the campaign in some manner, but at least it ran at full steam for a solid month or longer).

That said, gimmick campaigns that last a day or 5 can be a blast if the ruleset is appropriate. Again comparing this to PoE, it's the difference between a 3 hour long race event with weird mods and a 3 month season with new rules. The latter has to adhere much closer to the basic premise of the game.

"Campaign Trophies include relics, artifacts, materials and rare resources - the things that are required to build structures, craft equipment, and fuel the economy in your Kingdom."

I have yet to understand what Terminator rule players get out of campaigns other than the experience and fun of winning a campaign. Might be worth asking in the interview tomorrow.
Tell me Teekey, what is best in life?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
bro, campaigns are not a week long, at theirshortestthey're said to be a month long.
Yeah, what everything they've noted so far is they want exploration/discovery to be a big part of each campaign. Their short ones are going to be a month+, with some being a full year. Also, given the seasonal effect and how players can use voxels? I could see campaign worlds shifting pretty dramatically during the Campaign itself. In any event, I don't think it's going to be anything like just a really long alterac valley. If the generation tech works as they describe it, I really think what each campaign will be is essentially like how new UO shards for the first 6 months, with tons of people running around, exploring, gathering and fighting--then it becomes stale and hopefully that's when seasons switch to force the players to go HAM on each other.

But again, all depends on if their tech works as advertised.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
each campaign will be is essentially like how new UO shards for the first 6 months, with tons of people running around, exploring, gathering and fighting--then it becomes stale and hopefully that's when seasons switch to force the players to go HAM on each other.
Reggie.jpg

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
My questions

1. Why the decision to lock races and archetypes together ? Is it too late in development to separate the race / archetype at creation ?

2. How soon will we see the complete promotion options per archetype ? Will every archetype be able to compete on their own equally or will they perfom as a rock, scissors, & paper approach ?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Just catching up at work this morning with stuff outside of work.... kudos to Crowfall for reaching their goal in right around 3 days? Now all of us who backed have full right to become coach developers again and/or complain at will.

I'm still riding the hype train on this game. Someone said earlier that some group(s) had a chance to get their hands on a playable version. I would be curious to see or hear people's first impressions here in the next few months. Especially considering the first wave of alpha could be as early as June/July which isn't very far off.

Vitality

HUSTLE
FFA victory conditions haven't been decided yet. Try not to confuse the Dregs campaign restrictions with the individual worlds/servers that will be inside the Dregs.

For Example:

World#1 Dregs: Bloodstone victory condition
World#2 Dregs: Bloodbath victory condition (top 200 player kills leaderboard after one month)
World#3 Dregs: Dark World victory condition (top 200 players still alive after one month, permadeath)

*Concepts are pulled out of my ass and do not show any detail released by devs (other than the bloodstone victory condition)

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
On the topic of EK/campaigns:

For me, EK is the "Highsec" of Crowfall. A place to chill between campaigns, to show off your tropies, to craft, to trade stuff and to prepare for the next campaign. I am ok with this, no need to put more features into it, at least not until the different campaign-modes are fully developed. As you have 3 char slots you can even do dedicated crafting/trading alts while your main is campaigning. Your main char will probably be in the EK at max 10% of the time.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If they design them right, EK can be really important for the trade/craft aspect. Something like which guild/player controls the "Jita" of Crowfall. A really big and well know EK with lots of traders/crafters and a big population trading at all times. As the Monarch can set taxes and control access it could really be a nice gameplay element ("trade-wars").