Crowfall

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think if they make it so the campaign is over at some critical point it'll help a lot of the prolonged dead campaigns. Just make it so it's not something that can be alarm clocked (though that would favor PRX generally). The other big thing that WvW didn't have from a hardcore pvp guild leading perspective is a break between campaigns where the winners got some reward. Often we'd go from one tough week to another and couldn't take a break, especially in the three day campaigns (those were the most brutal times in GW2 by far). This would be exacerbated if the campaign ended as soon as the winners could feel comfortable. This would also help motivate people to care about who wins each campaign, because they'd be directly rewarded by the end conclusion rather than the dorks like me who play these games for those conclusions.

ArcheAge has this, where every 6 hours or so a mini-WvW breaks out in the center. It's kind of fun but very plain siege gameplay. And on most servers the fights are very one sided.

But this is all assuming that Crowfall has this kind of gameplay. This image indicates it does in God's Reach:
Crowfall_WorldRules_1.jpg

But that could be just some stupid shit we do once a week while we're all getting geared in the Dregs or The Infected (whatever the hell a God war is).

Vitality

HUSTLE
Pretty sure they're going for a zombie survival style pve experience with this one. (The Infected) Where over time the environment gets more harsh and mobs get tougher or whatever.

Edit: 30% durability loss on death is pretty brutal man.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
They mention different conditions on new campaigns... I would really be curious how a hardcore campaign plays out. Every character can go there once while it runs (or even only during the first two days), if you die you are locked out. Would probably end fairly quick even if people start banding together quickly, there WILL be attrition. That's something I could see going for just a week or two.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I'm mainly concerned with what the Export rules mean, for instance winners get 80% caryover of skillpoints/gear/wealth? It's an interesting concept but the variance there in winning and losing probably needs to be adjusted. Although the kneel function seems pretty hilarious. Claim fealty to the winning guild and gain rewards.

I can hear Tuco's jimmies perking up on that one.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Lithose, you should publish our design doc from last year here. They totally stole it from us. We came up with nearly the same exact design element.
hah, I was thinking this; we called it the Dark Moon cycle. It's pretty cool it's being so well received here, we were wondering if people would like an Azure-Dreams type MMO where a cycle of entropy reset your progress, and the worlds, but not your character persistence. Ours worked slightly differently in that you got to keep gear, but lose skills--but our "gear" worked more like base character skills in other games; so it is actually pretty close. The only big difference is our game was based on progression through the worlds, rather than taking over a map--but that's the difference between PvE and PvP.

Anyway, pretty cool most people are digging it :p I remember we were all wondering if most people would say it was awful or not. The idea of a duality of persistent characters and non-persistent progression was the big alteration we wanted to make.

Bain

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So I've been thinking about this and the only thing that concerns me are win conditions and whether or not you could forestall a world reset and survive the winter.

Also, game of thrones much? Not that I mind...

Blackwulf

N00b
I'm definitely stoked for this game. Looking forward to most of the stuff listed. My only concern is that I've been forced to do so much PVE in the last few MMOs, that I've actually started to like it. Wondering what it will be like with none...

Vitality

HUSTLE
I'm definitely stoked for this game. Looking forward to most of the stuff listed. My only concern is that I've been forced to do so much PVE in the last few MMOs, that I've actually started to like it. Wondering what it will be like with none...
Mission complete. Blackwulf switched.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm mainly concerned with what the Export rules mean, for instance winners get 80% caryover of skillpoints/gear/wealth? It's an interesting concept but the variance there in winning and losing probably needs to be adjusted. Although the kneel function seems pretty hilarious. Claim fealty to the winning guild and gain rewards.

I can hear Tuco's jimmies perking up on that one.
They're definitely saying, "Hey let's make a game for the R30s, LotD, LoD, UDL, Elite, SYN, Redguard, SiN, FoE and PRXs of the MMO gaming community!". But until I see a competent game being successful in beta I just don't care that much.

We still in full on speculation mode? ok It seems to me their world system is basically just like any other decent mmo ever released which had different rule set servers. They are just spreading their servers out over a spectrum of PVE - faction pvp - gvg pvp - ffa pvp and making server transfers a game mechanic and designing around that. It does open up some interesting game design ideas.
This is one of their great ideas. Imagine if you had a friend starting in the PvP part of the world, at least you could join them (but suffer a few penalties) if you had started in another world. It keeps the game interesting for people who get sick of something after a while without having to restart everything.

I don't really know what the win/lose/kneel condition means on asset transfers between worlds and I can see how you'd think that the worlds were just like bg maps or something but I don't know.
I believe the win/lose/kneel condition is specific to that world. Since it is Guild vs. guild, it at least offers an alternative in case both sides do not want to lose too heavily, but want to just skirmish (kneel - 50% loss vs. 80 or 20%).

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The best part of this game versus gw2 is that you will always have that 'go west' rush of exploration and discovery you never got in gw2. Gw2 was all about zerg manipulation and PvDoor. This game seems to want alot more interaction. We'll see. Hopefully they give you more to can about.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The best part of this game versus gw2 is that you will always have that 'go west' rush of exploration and discovery you never got in gw2. Gw2 was all about zerg manipulation and PvDoor. This game seems to want alot more interaction. We'll see. Hopefully they give you more to can about.
This. If their precedural generation can pull it off, where they have a truly unique world ready to replace the old one? It will be amazing. Each cycle will be like exploring an MMO world for the first time, and all the risks and little discoveries that go with it. Right now in games, exploring is fun--but after a few months, when everything is cataloged and every resource node, and even their random possible spawn spots, is marked and accounted for? The tangible benefits of exploring fall off--I mean, there is always exploring for the sake of exploring the world, but it's not half as exciting when you KNOW you might find something interesting because not enough people have been out there to exploit it yet.

Every few months have a world where new gold mines, new little caves that are great farming spots, or new abandoned keeps or good gathering grounds for basic goods like leather or lumber? Will be randomly generated and there to discover each time? Would be essentially distilling down the best part of MMO's (Especially Sandbox ones) and allowing everyone to experience it over and over. It would really be amazing. (And, of course, the drive to do that would be whatever persistent strength you could build on your character to give you the small edge next time.)

Anyway; again, it's going to come down to how good their procedural generaiton is, and whether they can spit out a new world every few months. Given some of the advancements we've seen in procedural generation, like No Man's Sky ect? I'm cautiously optimistic they can. Regardless though, just like with EQN's repsawning "underground" worlds? This is what the future of MMO design will be based off of, constantly enticing that "new world" feel. Giving the players SOMETHING in the world outside of raids, that feels new, and is able to be learned and exploited. That really taps into what drives players, I think. And I love the fact that both EQN and this game have hinted at really exploring that.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I know these are great ideas and everything but do they have the money to actually hire top notch engineers? A game with great ideas that is coded like shit is still going to be shit. They should have a seperate realm where you can have a spaceship. Sell fucking spaceships and you can hire whoever the fuck you want.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I know these are great ideas and everything but do they have the money to actually hire top notch engineers? A game with great ideas that is coded like shit is still going to be shit. They should have a seperate realm where you can have a spaceship. Sell fucking spaceships and you can hire whoever the fuck you want.
Idk, I'd play a facebook game if it had half the stuff in this thread.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm really sort of torn with this idea.

First, I think it's a pretty ingenious method to creating that 'rush' that comes with a fresh start. However, a lot of my concern lies with how the Eternal Kingdoms will function. As it stands now, it basically sounds like a virtual lobby, with a hierarchy based on leader boards. Part of me is worried that you could spend weeks/months infiltrating an enemy alliance on a dying world, tear them apart from within, and then basically earn the equivalent of a virtual trophy to put in your trophy case. Just doesn't sound like super compelling design for an MMO - however if you look at it from the perspective of session based games like a FPS, MOBA, or even a Battleground...it doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

Additionally, I feel like they sort of took a big step back from their mantra of Risk vs Reward. I suppose there's still weight in choices on a per campaign basis. But without a doubt, the inherent risk in choices over the long term is diminished by having hard wipes and little continuity between campaigns.

Still looking forward to the game, just going to have to alter my view and expectations.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
I do wonder how much they will ask for in their kickstarer at the end of the countdown.