Crowfall

I think was a great pioneer in that regard and it sounds like Crowfall wants to copy it. You had NPC run supply camps that would generate supply, then you had NPC mules (called dolyaks) that would slowly move the supply over to forts. Players could then use that supply to reinforce the keep, repair it etc. Players could go raise supply camps or the dolyaks.
I think this is where the player interaction comes in, or I guess where you somehow payoff material farmers? Not sure if this game has a currency.

There's also an interesting part where they have mentioned that Thralls are the souls of fallen warriors and craftsmen, does this include players? That would be very interesting.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe it's just me, but I think this game and system would work better without a currency.

Get into a world, a determine the value of things based on the scarcity of the resources (which should vary for each iteration).

I also think a bartering system compels people to interact beyond just trading. A guy selling a sword wants 50 copper ore? Well if your alliance doesn't own any mines, you better go take one (or atleast, rob some enemy caravans).

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
rob some enemy caravans
god, please let this be a thing.

They said they licensed something. Now, I know people are assuming they're using Unity3d, but, idk, I have a sneaking suspicion we might see destructible terrain, soo.. maybe, just maybe, voxelfarm? what else is there that can approach similar destructible terrain effects?

fire_guy.png

Also, addition to the economy FAQ

"Every character has the ability craft some items, from the beginning of the game. Further crafting requires the accumulation of recipes via Discipline Runestones and other gameplay mechanics."

Emotiv

Silver Squire
Crowfall_sl said:
A Campaign might look like this:

Phase 1 is Spring. The Campaign map is hidden by fog of war. You are dropped (typically naked) into an unknown, deadly environment. This world is filled with the ruins of ancient castles, abandoned mines and haunted villages - which you have to explore to scavenge for weapons, tools and the resources to start building fortifications.
Phase 2 is Summer. The Hunger starts to infect the creatures. Resources become scarce. Your team claims an abandoned quarry and must fight to keep it. You use the stone to build an ancient keep, to use it as staging areas to attack their neighbors.
Phase 3 is Fall. The creatures become more deadly as the Hunger takes hold. Resources are heavily contested and transporting them is fraught with peril. Your guild frantically builds a wall around your city, as the nature of conflict shifts from smaller skirmishes to siege warfare.
Phase 4 is Winter. The environment is brutal. Warmth is hard to come by. Your kingdoms grows in strength; your neighbors falter and you demand that they swear fealty or face complete loss of the Campaign. Instead, a handful of smaller kingdoms choose to band together against you.
Phase 5 is Victory and Defeat. The World is destroyed in a cataclysmic event as the Campaign comes to an end. Your Kingdom emerges victorious, and you return to the Eternal Kingdoms to enjoy the spoils of war. Your adversaries head home, too -- to lick their wounds.
Finally someone understands that the best time in an MMO is the launch. MMO hoppers like myself crave that new frontier feeling when the world is new; everyone is struggling to gain an edge on the next guy. And if Phase 5 is anything like it sounds, it should end a campaign in a crescendo instead of a whimper. People usually dip out once the sides are drawn and the eventual win looks determined. If they blow up the damn world, people will make sure to get in on that part.

No more Panty-on cracks for me, this update has me on board.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
from the screen shots this game looks further along than I would think

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Absolutely love the art style and definitely boarded the hype train on this one.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm liking the art direction also.

They don't seem to be going for high polygon count, but for more artistic feel that will age very well.

I bet the game will run great on a lot of system with tons of people killing each other.
smile.png

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Where is her bikini armor? And why arent the shoulder pads the most obnoxiously large things in existence.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Art direction is really nice. I'll add this to my radar. It definitely moved up the list now that EQNext is in "who knows" status.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
ikr? People were all freaking out about it being too cartoony, I think they struck a good balance.
I hate cartoony. That's not too cartoony.

That said, you guys need to temper your expectations. How long have we been doing this? The better an mmo sounds, the less likely it is to succeed in getting made the way it's described. Not sure why you guys think this will be different. I wish it was- this sounds amazing- but to me, that just means it's unlikely to see daylight.

Vitality

HUSTLE

That said, you guys need to temper your expectations. How long have we been doing this? The better an mmo sounds, the less likely it is to succeed in getting made the way it's described. Not sure why you guys think this will be different. I wish it was- this sounds amazing- but to me, that just means it's unlikely to see daylight.
I agree, I think I'm just a little hyped up because it's not being made by SOE/Trion/Blizz/NCsoft

Yeah they're some old dogs behind this one. So a dose of arm length skepticism is required because of that fact.

But if they can pull a GGG (Path of Exile) with this shit I'll be happy as fuck man.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist

How many MMOs have been announced, that people have followed, in the last 5 years? Tons right? How many of them had open world, item loot PvP? Thats what excites me about a game, when I examined other MMOs my primary questions were PvP-related. Given the central nature PvP is in this game, I have, by default, to follow this and get the hype train going. I give very few fucks about raids, voxels, storybricks, SoEmote, etc. New MMOs seem to be announced several times a year, games like this only pop up every 3-5 years, the last of which was fucking Darkfall. And PvP titles are always a disaster, due to small studios, small budgets, limited appeal etc. They're generally made by the sex offenders of the MMO dev world who are not allowed to go 500 feet from anyone with the ability to code, develop art assets, promote the game, or make a cup of coffee without setting something on fire.

So yeah, could they completely fuck this up? Likely. Could this be vaporware? Sure. Anything could. Camelot Unchained could, hell, Everquest Next could, but thats why we post on this forum. Because we like to re-live the same mistakes we've made and not learn our lessons, over and over again, for over a decade. Just slamming our dicks in a car door over and over with each new thread and each new game. The only game safe from this cycle is Pantheon, because the rerolled thread IS the game.