Crowfall

Bruman

Golden Squire
She may be a spy sent over from Pantheon guys:

Edit: I *think* she's one with the colored hair, looking a little chubbier. But potential lesbo kiss. UNTIL THE LORD STRIKES HER DOWN!!!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mount FAQ from KS update

Mount FAQ

What are mounts like in Crowfall?

Mounts are creatures that have been tamed to act as both a companion and a steed. They provide players with a method of moving more quickly around the game, and sometimes giving them the ability to transport more items.

How do I get a mount?

Players with the right skill(s) will be able to tame certain creatures they find in the world, and some of these can be ridden as mounts. Additionally, some magic items will allow the player to manifest (summon) a mount from your inventory.

What determines if I can tame a creature?

All gameplay in Crowfall requires one or more skills; taming and riding mounts are no different! Certain creatures will require higher amounts of skill to tame than others. Skill will also be required in order to keep control of that creature once you have tamed it. Increasing your riding skill will help you tame more wild creatures, which in turns allows you to increase your movement speed while mounted.

Can you tame creatures other than Mounts? What can you do with the tamed creature?

Yes. Some creatures are a pack animals. Taming them allows you to open up a separate inventory on that creature, to add and remove items from it, and to order that creature to take simple commands like "stay," "come" and "follow me." If the creature is a regular mount, you can ride it, have it follow you or release it back into the wild (i.e. un-tame it). With figurine mounts, you can also dismiss them (i.e. turn it back into a figurine in your inventory, for later use).

Can mounts be attacked? Do they have health? Can they be killed?

Yes, yes and yes. Mounts are creatures in the world, so they can take damage and be killed.

Will a mount defend himself, or you, if attacked?

Yes, when you are not riding on a mount, the mount will defend itself and/or its master.

Can players use creatures higher than their riding skill allows?

No. The riding skill determines which mounts you can ride, as well as mount speed.

You said that mounts can die. Can figurine mounts die?

Yes, but figurine mounts have multiple lives. When it dies, the item takes some decay, and there is a delay timer before the mount can be summoned again. Remember that these are items, so they follow the same design philosophy as everything else: nothing lasts forever.

Can someone else take my mount?

These are items, so they are subject to the Campaign loot rules. That means there is a risk/reward scenario whenever you decide to use a mount figurine. Be careful where you take them.

What about the Kickstarter reward mounts? Don't they last forever?

The Kickstarter mounts will be limited in use, like normal figurines - but we WILL give you a way to get the visual appearance back, if they are lost in gameplay. Our goal is not to make these "permanent", but rather to make them temporary, but recoverable. We do want you to be able to continue to use them over the lifetime of the game, though, to show other players that you were an early backer.

Can I get more figurines in the game? Or only through Kickstarter?

There will be Disciplines that allow players to craft new figurines. However, the Kickstarter reward figurines have a unique appearance. Only Kickstarter backers (of the appropriate tiers) will have access to these mounts.
Can my Centaur character ride on a mount?

No, centaurs already have a base movement speed increase and there will be some other mechanic that allows them to travel at mount speed.

Natalie - ft: Todd #2:

Natalie's Cleavage Comments are disabled for this video.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
God dammit Draegan, for some reason I pictured you looking like one of those super metal heads. Rocking Jesus hair with a massive beard and extended goatee, filled to the brim with spliffs. Instead you look like a total bro, I am disappoint.
You're just seeing a picture of me? I've been in a bunch of interviews and shows online for years now that I've posted on here. Sorry to disappoint.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Natalie's Cleavage Comments are disabled for this video.
Well played Todd, well played.

tumblr_m6odkq8jNo1qbolbn.gif

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
They've discussed, as the initial starting experience of a campaign, players having the ability to rummage through abandoned towns/mines/ruins to find starting resources. I'd imagine that town setup was one of them. No concrete details as to what that entails. I also don't mind some of these towns being static assets. I'd imagine it'd be pretty crazy expensive to procedurally generate a town flawlessly.
If you want an absolute flawless and aesthetically pleasing, that looks like it's handcrafted, yea, it's going to be complicated.

If you can tolerate a couple weird spots... well, look at the procedural towns generated in Minecraft. That's basically one dev working on it for a couple weeks, and you have very nice towns, with town centers, farms, roads, etc. Most of their problems arise from the fact that maps are generated on the fly in 16x16 chunks as you approach, and you get chunk errors. If you generate all in one pass, you have a lot less errors.

ili_sl

shitlord
These stretch goals are dumb and fake. They're not going to make the MMO with just the Kickstarter money and a 100K or whatever isn't going to make the difference in translations.

It's the funding they'll get afterwards.

Also, Crowfall hit a brick wall. Can't believe how slow it's been crawling since the first day or two.
He slipped up in the video saying the kickstarter was just to see if the game had any interest. So. yah, all the goals would have been in the game anyway.

It really doesn't make sense to give a piece of the pie away when you can get free money and keep everything.

The game would have been made with or without the kickstarter backing.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I don't he slipped up. He's said that if it was successful it proves that it has a viable game and he could take that to other VCs as proof that there is an audience. I think he's been very upfront with that. The kickstarter gets him:

Proof of Acceptance
Money
Ramp up community development
Create Buzz

We get a way to buy in early access and other useless gadgets.

Vitality

HUSTLE
KS Update

The march to the $1.3 million stretch goal -- Mounts and Caravans -- continues!
To keep up the excitement, today we are announcing two new stretch goals. If we are fortunate enough and you guys are willing to support up -- here is what we'd love to build next!
- At 14,500 backers, we're giving a Pack-Pig to all our Kickstarter backers!

rrr_img_93034.jpg

Every player who supports our Kickstarter campaign will get a guinecean pack pig, a caravan animal that can move materials around the World en masse. Drag stone from a quarry! Pull iron from your mine! Cart timber from your mill! The Pack Pig is a tireless beast of burden, ready and able to help you secure the materials you need to reinforce your castle or stronghold.
- At $1.4 million: expand "God's Reach" faction rules and "Artifact and Relics" system!
You guys already know about God's Reach, but what are Artifacts and Relics, and how do they tie into both the Campaigns and the Eternal Kingdoms? For these answers and more, read on!
As always, THANK YOU for your support and for being a part of the Crowfall community!

Relics
Relics & Artifacts FAQ
Do I get anything for participating in Campaigns?
Yes. First of all, Campaigns are the primary method of collecting materials and rare resources for use in the Eternal Kingdoms.

Second, Campaigns are also the source of Artifacts and Relics. These are items players can earn by participating in Campaigns.

What do Artifacts and Relics do?
When displayed in the proper building in your Eternal Kingdom, Artifacts and Relics will grant you blessings, which represent the influence of ancient magic and the divine favor of the Gods. These blessings work in much the same manner as passive training: they are "always on" your character, regardless of which Kingdom or Campaign you travel to.

What is a Blessing?
Blessings are passive spell effects (utility buffs) that players can select based on the Artifacts and Relics they have access too. Blessings are minor effects, like "increases archery training speed by 1%" or "increases wood harvesting speed by 5%".

There is a maximum amount of blessings a player can have active on a character at one time (current estimate is 3 per character). Collecting more Artifacts and Relics on your will give you more blessings to choose from -- but since all characters are limited to only 3 active blessings at any time, having more of them only gives you more variety and choice, not more power.

What is the difference between an Artifact and a Relic?
Artifacts are typically guild rewards. Relics are typically player rewards.
Artifacts are "World" rewards. These can only be gained by winning Campaigns. Artifacts are meaningful trophies (like the World Cup) that can be displayed in your Eternal Kingdom, that confer their blessings on all the players who own land in that Kingdom.
An example of an Artifact might be "the Anvil of Kane", which (when placed, for example, inside a Reliquary in a Mountain Citadel) offers the "Strength of the Crescent Moon" blessing to all the players on this World.
Relics are "Player and City" rewards. Relics offer similar blessings, but can only be utilized by a smaller number of players - they can be placed inside of the buildings in the cities or villages of your Eternal Kingdom. Relics can be collected in Campaigns or crafted using rare reagents.
An example of a Relic might be "the Blade of Taerious", which (once placed in a Chaos Temple) offers the "Gaes of Speed" blessing to the players who own land in and around a (player-built) village in your Kingdom.
How do I use my Artifact, or Relic?
To be activated, an Artifact or Relic must be placed on display in an appropriate building in the guild or player's Eternal Kingdom. Different buildings house different types of Artifacts and Relics, for example:
Barracks can only display weapons of legend.
Temples can only house religious items.
Reliquaries can house many different type of artifacts and relics, but take up a lot of real estate and require a lot of maintenance/property tax.
Each Artifact or Relic must be placed in a building for the blessing to be active. The blessing on these items are time-limited; when the blessing runs out, the Artifact or Relic must be recharged.

Is there any other way to get these outside of Campaigns? Yes.
These are items, and can be freely traded between players.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
They have money already to fund much of the game. The kickstarter is extra money and helps identify supporters who are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

One thing about any venture, more money is not a bad thing. I do think the stretch goals are a joke though. They are listing them as if they were not going to be in the game. Kinda disingenuous but whatever, I am still going to enjoy the game.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Kickstarter is basically just a gauge of interest level in many cases like this.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
They have money already to fund much of the game. The kickstarter is extra money and helps identify supporters who are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

One thing about any venture, more money is not a bad thing. I do think the stretch goals are a joke though. They are listing them as if they were not going to be in the game. Kinda disingenuous but whatever, I am still going to enjoy the game.
Seriously though, what could they have added? Anything else would be superduper feature creep.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

This isn't true. The Kickstarter will hopefully allow them to raise more funds to make the game but in no way do they have enough to make it right now. They have been very upfront about this and haven't tried to hide it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
There isn't much of a game there honestly. There is no PVE, no hand made content. They just have to get their servers right and make sure they have enough artists. Everything else is building their world engine. That's an over simplification, but there is significantly less than a standard MMO.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There isn't much of a game there honestly. There is no PVE, no hand made content. They just have to get their servers right and make sure they have enough artists. Everything else is building their world engine. That's an over simplification, but there is significantly less than a standard MMO.
This is true, but given 2.7m from VC and the ~1.5m from their kickstarter I think they will be hard pressed to come up with a good implementation of their ideas without an additional source of funding.

I don't know that there is an unreached market of people who would feel compelled by what they currently have. PvPers are excited about CF just like they're going to be excited by the next dozen PvP-centric games.

I think they should hope to make a decent alpha/beta, get a lot of press from it and reach out to the the gaming community at large and figure out a way to monetize that by more than just early access / pre-orders.

Vitality

HUSTLE
K emailed (better formatted in the email):

The previous week of Crowfall news:

Skill Training (active/passive disciplines etc)
Active and passive skill gains carrying over to new campaigns with a strong focus on one character per campaign. (Stated a few times by todd/thomas blair) Good or Bad for competitive pvp? Good for the game? Barrier of entry for new players in similar systems is quite harsh (eve as a prime example) in this play set. Primary difference is that CF meshes active and passive skill gain together.
Worries CF gets it wrong?
High turnover rate later if new players are significantly weaker than max skill point players?
Promotion class lock, good/bad? Should a Cash shop promotion class change option exist?

Artifacts and Relics

Relics apply small personal modifiers up to a certain cap to things like skill gain and harvesting rates. 5% harvesting speed could mean 5% attack speed or % increase to damage stackable up to a cap of 3 active. Foreseeable pvp implications?
Relics in other games (daoc/TESO etc) were capturable by enemies out in the pvp world. Instead these ones are not interactable in any fashion (that we know of). Do you see that as a problem? What's the point? This is basically an additional equipment slot at that point?
Min/Max implications of relics seem high here - league of legends has this kind of thing with their runes and masteries, do you feel like this angle of character customization will get overlooked or very simplified based on role? If that's the case why have relics at all? Ideas for diversity?
Artifacts - Guild wide boosts similar to relics in some fashion, possibly to a larger degree. Does this offer guilds too much power for winning a campaign? With the stronger just get stronger with this? An entire guild that reduces incoming damage by something as small as 10% means a whole lot enmasse. Potential problem area?
Mounts

Mounts are essential to large scale pvp games like this one, what's your take on their iteration of the mount system? Craftable, destructable, killable, stealable(player lootable) etc.
Centaurs unable to mount but will be able to skill into mount speed alternatives, being able to bypass all risk associated with owning a mount. Good or Bad? Possible "Centaur OP!?" moments?

Thanks for your time.

Vitality
Rerolled.org

I think they will be hard pressed to come up with a good implementation of their ideas without an additional source of funding.
The precedent is alreadyhereandhere. Shroud of the Avatar raised $1,919,275 via Kickstarter and subsequently raised $4.1 million via donations/shop purchases directly on their website.