Crowfall

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I bet it's going to be huge with casual players who like to do the exploring and immersion stuff. There's a lot of people out there that love that shit.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I bet it's going to be huge with casual players who like to do the exploring and immersion stuff. There's a lot of people out there that love that shit.
yes sir. plus it would be kind of fun to be tunneling below a keep that shit could be fun.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Pack pigs almost has me interested enough into checking this out in more depth.

I just keep feeling like I'm too much of a relic and even a PvP game allegedly made for PvPers won't be enough for me to do much more than look at some pictures of a new game and shrug. I haven't loved PvP since EQ's Sullon Zek server, though WoW pre-battlegrounds was tolerable, if not fun at times. Since then, though, it just feel like pointless, lobby-based heavy petting where nothing is at stake, so what's the fucking point. Not sure if it's because mmorpgs don't make worlds that feel alive and persistent and meaningful enough to fight over, or if it's the pvp that just hasn't been engineered right.

Either way, though, I guess I'm so disenfranchised as a one-time passionate PvPer that I can barely muster enough gives-a-shit to skim the Kickstarter page, but a fucking pack pig is what gets my attention?

In other word, in a few months I'll have all my hopes and dreams relying on this one game, and threaten to PvP my wrists when it turns out like all the others.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Part of their challenge will be to make the PvP meaningful. What I mean is, the outcome of the campaigns need to make some difference somehow outside of just vanity items or titles. I know the point of the game is to actually stop that, but I hope character advancement is tied to something important.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Guys I'm getting cold feet. At first I was all like "BAM $250 ON BLACK LET'S GOOOOO" but now I'm like "But what if it comes up red?"

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Guys I'm getting cold feet. At first I was all like "BAM $250 ON BLACK LET'S GOOOOO" but now I'm like "But what if it comes up red?"
I got cold feet.

After the glow of "new, old-school game awesomeness" wore off, I thought about how many MMOs I've played that haven't gotten just the basic feel of combat right. I'm talking about AAA MMOs, and certainly not ones being financed on a shoe-string budget. I mean Shroud of the Avatar is a great idea and all, but it plays like a sub-par, budget bin video game. Then layer on the complex stuff, like ensuring the network layer is secure, hundreds of characters in one-place in a voxel based engine, dealing with hacks, etc... and I just don't see something that screams success. I'll give them credit, what they've shown so far has been nice but I need some more stuff fleshed out before I spend money on it.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got cold feet.

After the glow of "new, old-school game awesomeness" wore off, I thought about how many MMOs I've played that haven't gotten just the basic feel of combat right. I'm talking about AAA MMOs, and certainly not ones being financed on a shoe-string budget. I mean Shroud of the Avatar is a great idea and all, but it plays like a sub-par, budget bin video game. Then layer on the complex stuff, like ensuring the network layer is secure, hundreds of characters in one-place in a voxel based engine, dealing with hacks, etc... and I just don't see something that screams success. I'll give them credit, what they've shown so far has been nice but I need some more stuff fleshed out before I spend money on it.
posts like this are giving me cold feet as well. but its just money if I dont spend it on video games what else am i going to spend it on? my ridiculous drinking habits?

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
You guys backing out are a bunch of fucking pussies. I bet you've spent more money just letting MMO subscriptions run without playing them.

I give ArtCraft credit for trying to do something new and different. Hopefully it works out, but if not, atleast my money is promoting an idea I believe in, and perhaps slowly pushing this genre in a better direction.

But it's your money. If you want to be a chickenshit with it, who am I to tell you different?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Part of their challenge will be to make the PvP meaningful. What I mean is, the outcome of the campaigns need to make some difference somehow outside of just vanity items or titles. I know the point of the game is to actually stop that, but I hope character advancement is tied to something important.
That's where the system of flexible and variable campaign rules work out.

If you're always using a Terminator rules campaign where you drop naked, no relics and boosts, then all your previous campaigns' outcomes do not matter to your character (since you obviously keep your skill points earned, no matter what). If you're considering a geared campaign, then you need to have good gear coming in, or you're facing a much harsher challenge starting. That gear needs to come from previous campaigns, where you obtained the mats, carried it to the vaults, and managed to win to get enough out of it. And from a campaign that allow you enough rare mats for decent gear.

(this is where Dregs is a terrible point to start the game - Dregs rule make you get ZERO mats if you don't win. You don't even get out some stuff that might make you minor gear, locking you out in the terminator type rules. At least with God's Reach rules, you get easy campaigns to get you started)

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I really dont see the different rulesets a) taking more than 5 minutes to code and b) not making it into release or right afterward. You've got an entire generation of mmo pvpers who know nothing but pussy ass faction pvp (from daoc through literally every major aaa mmo that offered "pvp") and they'll need to get their feet wet before diving in.

The basic module being just dregs is one of the major reasons i backed this game, though i do see how it limits their potential backers. Not because i only want dregs in to start or anything, but because it means the money is being spent a) making sure basic combat feels right, b) getting the world creation procedural shit down/seasons/destruction/etc, and c) creating the tools that allow the various rulesets to be altered with a turn of a few dials.

Once you have that then adding the different rings of worlds is simply turning a few of the larger dials that controls who you can't attack (faction/god/guild)

Not really a fair comparison considering the name and license behind it. Plus PvE is always going to draw a bigger pool than the strictly PvP crowd.
I didn't mean to suggest that it was. I'm guessing there's a much bigger audience for a PvE game so I don't expect CF to raise as much via or post Kickstarter. I was only pointing out that CF will almost certainly have a "donate" button on their site once the Kickstarter concludes. We'll get those pack pigs yet.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I really dont see the different rulesets a) taking more than 5 minutes to code and b) not making it into release or right afterward.
It's not a matter of coding, more of balancing. Stuff that looks good on paper and in code sometimes lead to completely bad outcomes when real players check it. So they need a set of workable rulesets as a fallback for launch, and they can then innovate by adding more audacious "rule cards" to their deck and test on a few campaign.

But for the initial run? You need that stuff tested, which means dev eyeballs on the test campaigns. Which means manpower. Which means money. Which means stretch goals.
Not because i only want dregs in to start or anything, but because it means the money is being spent a) making sure basic combat feels right, b) getting the world creation procedural shit down/seasons/destruction/etc, and c) creating the tools that allow the various rulesets to be altered with a turn of a few dials.
Actually, you can do that with any base ruleset. Dregs is not different from faction/god/guild warfare. In fact, it's probably more complex to implement win conditions.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
It's not a matter of coding, more of balancing. Stuff that looks good on paper and in code sometimes lead to completely bad outcomes when real players check it. So they need a set of workable rulesets as a fallback for launch, and they can then innovate by adding more audacious "rule cards" to their deck and test on a few campaign.

But for the initial run? You need that stuff tested, which means dev eyeballs on the test campaigns. Which means manpower. Which means money. Which means stretch goals.

Actually, you can do that with any base ruleset. Dregs is not different from faction/god/guild warfare. In fact, it's probably more complex to implement win conditions.
What is there to balance? seriously its not 3 separate factions with different race/class/skills etc.

Win conditions will be fine tuned and iterated on for the life of the game, its not important given their design docs. In fact "whoops this was bad and didn't work out this time" is completely fine for this game it doesn't need testing and polishing its all subject to change each campaign, in fact its kind.of desirable.

I don't expect alpha/beta testing to include that many full campaign runs. The worst thing possible for them is to iterate on all this dozens of times through testing and determine that they've found the"one correct way" it should be and ita immutable after launch.

Seriously, 5 min to code, no testing is required. I would pretty much expect the game to launch with all the ruleset rings they've announced, even if the only thing promised is dregs.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Maybe. But for CF I don't see the exploration/immersion crowd being that big. Exploration in this case will be spending 30 hours straight on campaign-start finding all the resource nodes and putting that information on a map on your other monitor.

Besides that, casual and VR probably won't be together for the next several years.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I dont care about balance but the fundamental structure of the game has to work. Network, combat, animations etc.
This, I don't care about female centaurs with no pants and fievel goes west pig mounts, give me a game that functions properly or I'm moving on.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
fievel goes west pig mounts
whatthefuck-did-i-just-read-thumb.jpg

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
(this is where Dregs is a terrible point to start the game - Dregs rule make you get ZERO mats if you don't win. You don't even get out some stuff that might make you minor gear, locking you out in the terminator type rules. At least with God's Reach rules, you get easy campaigns to get you started)
This is what concerns me about their player retention when it comes to Dregs. If your average player does 1-2 campaigns and winds up losing them, how many times are they going to be ok starting from scratch before they just say fuck it and either jump to another ruleset or quit outright.