Custom dating site with source

EvilLurker_sl

shitlord
Hey guys,

I don't know if this belongs here, but there's a lot of combined knowledge here at Rerolled. I'm going to start a dating site, just for the fun of it. I know there are tons of them yadda yadda yadda. But it's for the experience and fun of trying strategies to get some users. I don't have to make money of it. I'm a programmer myself, but haven't done much web at all, so I'm a little lost here.

I want to run it on my own server and I need the source so I can make modifications. I don't mind paying for it. Language is secondary, I'll learn what I need to as I go along.

Any suggestions?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Wrong forum, go to the serious forums. If is a specific programming hurdle the comp sci thread can help.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I don't have any compsci advice, but I've tried a bunch of dating sites and gotta say that the OKCupid model works really well. They also have a sweet blog with some hard statistics/math you will probably be interested in. It doesn't get updated much anymore but there's a ton of good data.
OkTrends

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
BlackFurryMeet.com the internets only source for the evergrowing black furry community

It's an untapped market bro

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
I looked extensively into this a few years back and there are a couple turnkey software packages for this already. Having said that, I ultimately decided not to because the marketing alone would take a really long time (at least over a year just to build up some decent SEO), plus the marketspace was already pretty saturated. A lot of people who check this out usually do it because they heard of the POF guy running it out of his house and making millions but he was an early adopter when the market was untapped and now its virtually impossible to replicate his success.

Unless you have some really good gimmick (like people with AIDS or christian dating), you're at a massive disadvantage.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
How about giveajobgetajob.com, combining dating with employment search! You can't lose.