Cyberpunk 2077

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I hope the feeling of wanting to explore extends to skyscrapers. Usually open world games I see something way the fuck up in the mountains and think I have to check that place out. Not sure I’ll feel that way when I have to ride an elevator and just see what’s on each floor. Hope so, cause it looks fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You have to look at two things when examining this games potential.

Firstly, the developer. Witcher 3. I mean, Blood and Wine, what more can be said. It was such a quality game and more importantly, a memorable experience. And its a single player game!

2nd, it has been in development for 7 + years. It could be a bad thing in some cases, but with this one, I believe CDP Red has done enough to earn our respect and patience. There is no reason to think all that development time has been for naught. This game looks to have incredible UI design along with an awesome setting and atmosphere. If the itemization is good? (better than The Witcher 3) You have a home run IMO. Im not worried about the plot direction, if the level progression is varied and meaningful, and if the spread of dropped/crafted items is vast enough to keep you wanting more (think Borderlands but not as extreme) I dont see how this game can be mediocre nevermind bad.

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
How does a game go GOLD, when we already know they'll be crunching code right up until release day? Just silly old marketing hype that means absolutely nothing these days.

Anyway, after kicking myself long and hard for giving "SE et al" money at release for the cluster-fuck that is Marvel Avengers, I won't be buying this either until the reviews are out. It's been a strangely cathartic experience, and I believe I'm finally cured of the desire to give any company (gaming or otherwise) money up front for digital goods until the quality has been proven.

It's not even about CDPR, their track record is second to none imo. I'm just certain now that I'll never even be tempted to do it again. Quite liberating really.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
How does a game go GOLD, when we already know they'll be crunching code right up until release day? Just silly old marketing hype that means absolutely nothing these days.

Gold means you've finalized a build and sent it to Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo for review and certification.

Argarth

On the verandah
Gold means you've finalized a build and sent it to Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo for review and certification.
I'm pretty sure it refers to the Gold Master Disc, that was finally ready for duplication and distribution. Meaningless in the digital age of course. It's even in the tweet =p

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Both of you fuckers are right. Back in the early days of game development the phrase "gone gold" was essentially borrowed from music where the finished recorded studio album was called Master Copy. It was way back in the vinyl days when all albums where pressed from a very few masters, which actually looked gold. In gaming the "gone gold" meant that the master code was finished for production. Back then there were no 0 day patches or tinkering up until release. So when you read from a pc magazine that a game had gone gold you knew that it was finished and would hit your local gamestop in a months' time. Today it's nothing more than a meaningless marketing tool and has nothing to do code being finished since there will be a patches right off the bat. For a console certification, it just means that the game is tested to see if it runs and the content rating it was given, matches. Nowdays the game is "finished" when you can pre-download it a day or so before launch. So, pre-download is the new gone gold, but even that doesn't match the original gone gold meaning

Argarth

On the verandah
Well of course Gavinmad Gavinmad was being a giant pedantic faggot about it. I just couldn't be bothered arguing with him after his last post suggesting I can't fucking read.

• 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I don’t know shit about this game and never played Witcher 3, but you guys are hyping it like sliced bread so maybe I’ll have to check it out.

• 1Seriously?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I don’t know shit about this game and never played Witcher 3, but you guys are hyping it like sliced bread so maybe I’ll have to check it out.

Witcher 3 is one of the best games ever. The amount of quality content in it (and hookers) is mind boggling.

I highly suggest playing Witcher 3 with HD mods and a select few quality of life mods if you have a decent PC. I’m doing that now and it’s fantastic.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Denaut

Trump's Staff

Yes, I am going to be that guy.

Despite the knob polishing that the W3 gets by what seems like everyone, if you enjoy actual games it is mediocre at best. I tried 3 separate times (over at least a year apart) to finish it and failed out of sheer boredom. Between the incredibly long-winded NPCs and the boring running around, there is little gameplay and few meaningful game systems. By the time I finished the first area, and the one good storyline, I found myself skipping all of the dialogue which made it even more apparent how empty the game really is.

If your idea of a good time is holding a controller while watching a TV show badly in need of some serious editing, you might like it. If, however, you like unique and engaging gameplay there is a good chance you will fail to understand what everyone loves about the game as much as I do.

• 7Picard
  • 4Pathetic
  • 4Like
Reactions: 18 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Denaut you're an idiot and should feel bad about yourself.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Denaut you're an idiot and should feel bad about yourself.

Nah, I just like well constructed games with actual games systems as opposed to ones that are mostly a bunch of long-winded cutscenes composed of boring dialogue.

Last edited:
  • 2NPC
  • 1Salty
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 4 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Complaining about gameplay and combat in Witcher 3 is fair criticism. Complaining about the dialogue and storytelling is... what?

It's a story driven game, and in that regard it's one of the best ever made.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Complaining about gameplay and combat in Witcher 3 is fair criticism. Complaining about the dialogue and storytelling is... what?

It's a story driven game, and in that regard it's one of the best ever made.

It really isn't. Even from the beginning it is fighting an uphill battle since games in general are an extremely poor medium for telling a narrative. W3 is incredibly bloated, full of with uninteresting filler interspersed with even more uninteresting filler (the running around). There are a dozen games I can think of off the top of my head that tell better stories.

I mean, maybe compared to other "story-driven" games it might be? But that is a low bar like "best video-game movie".

• 4Picard
  • 1Blown
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 6 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Ahh, video games are an extremely poor medium for telling a story. Got it, carry on.

• 1Solidarity