Da Vinci's Demons [Starz]

Binkles_sl

shitlord
Is there really not a thread for this? At least, according to the search function, there doesn't appear to be. So far, it seems to be an odd combination of silly/whimsy, nudity, and historical revisionism/fantasy. Better than Camelot, but I'm hating myself for watching it and I'm only 20 minutes in. Seems like an ideal show for man-boy love.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I think everyone's waiting for someone else to watch it before we get duped into sitting through another Camelot.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
From my perception. It seems like a combination of Robert Downey Jr.'s Sherlock Holmes, Xena/Hercules level of camp, and something bloody and oddly sexual. It's like retarded Game of Thrones with a far more limited fantasy element.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bonus points for opening up with a priest, and young boy together. GOT has ruined me. This felt very Meh. Binkles hit it pretty solidly.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
isnt davinci gay? did they change that for this show? after torchwood :miracle day i refuse to watch another gay fantasy show again. especially from Starz

Binkles_sl

shitlord
In this show's depiction, he seems predominantly heterosexual, but most of the religious figures seem to be boy fuckers (2 of 2?). The ratio of penis to pair of boobs is what, 1:1?

Binkles_sl

shitlord
Many of the metacritic reviews have similar content, but slightly varying ratings:http://www.metacritic.com/tv/da-vinc...critic-reviews

I'll likely passively watch the next few episodes, but I'm dangerously close to Walking Dead level of ambivalence toward this show. The Walking Dead has a potentially interesting post apocalyptic world and zombies, but the writing/direction is terrible. Da Vinci's Demons has okay/campy writing/direction, but I find the world/history rather boring or droll.

iannis

Musty Nester
isnt davinci gay? did they change that for this show? after torchwood :miracle day i refuse to watch another gay fantasy show again. especially from Starz
It's ambiguous. He could have been. I think there's a portrait that he did of a young man that art scholars believe was his lover at the time and little things we have of him (in sketchbooks and notebooks and small details of sculpture) that are tantalizing if you want to believe he was gay. Or they could be viewed in the light of a professional artist and his relationship with aesthetic beauty. I've read serious essays claiming that Shakespeare had homosexual affairs. There's some eye of the beholder stuff going on with historical figures like this.

Sure, he coulda been. He was Italian after all.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
2 episodes in and it seems better than Camelot. Camelot was poor, so such a statement carries little weight. The story isn't terrible, but the context/setting appear superfluous. The events of this story could be taking place in any other universe and be more interesting. The show being about Da Vinci during the Italian Renaissance appears incidental. That, or it lazily provides the background/lore without having to be original. It's The Walking Dead of historical fiction.

Other observations: the quality of acting appears to vary appreciably from ham-fisted to acceptable. The only thing new this show provides to television is unnecessary corpse penis close-ups.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Enjoyed the first episode, interested to see where the political intrigue stuff goes, but the whole secret society/book of leaves plotline sounds horrible.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
Really not quite sure of what to make of the third episode. It came off a Stargate-level camp meets clumsy zombie/demon/possession horror. It was a hot mess. I think I watch this show to see recycled GoT actors. So far, just Lommy Greenhands and Half-hand.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
This is better then a lot of other shows on TV. Worth watching if you have any interest in this time period.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
Apparently they're making Da Vinci, at least for this last episode, bi-curious. The 11th hour saves, implausible strategies and inventions, and odd mysticism/supernatural stuff are getting a bit boring.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Yeah, I'm enjoying it, but mostly for the political intrigue slant. Kinda like The Borgias, but interesting.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
This show is really all over the place. The suspension of disbelief is becoming far too troublesome. It's reaching anime levels of odd. Inexplicit vampires. LSD mysticism. Naked old man fighting. Da Vinci learning mastery of space and time. This series seems to be the pioneer of serialized penis play. I appreciate them going big-ish, but it's not coming off as cohesive.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
This show is really all over the place. The suspension of disbelief is becoming far too troublesome. It's reaching anime levels of odd. Inexplicit vampires. LSD mysticism. Naked old man fighting. Da Vinci learning mastery of space and time. This series seems to be the pioneer of serialized penis play. I appreciate them going big-ish, but it's not coming off as cohesive.
Hey, at least people are dying, tits are everywhere and shit is happening. They clearly went into fantasy land with this last episode.