Damsel (2023)

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Eh, Dragonslayer is of my youth so probably rose colored glasses. I do think that old 'bad' movies with practical effects still do better than CGI similar to what was in Damsel. You are just well aware it is CGI and a green screen and it is very fake. Similar to the Aladdin remake, the environment just looks 'off'.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Eh, Dragonslayer is of my youth so probably rose colored glasses. I do think that old 'bad' movies with practical effects still do better than CGI similar to what was in Damsel. You are just well aware it is CGI and a green screen and it is very fake. Similar to the Aladdin remake, the environment just looks 'off'.
I agree, it just depends upon the movie. Some still have not held through the test of time, and the stuff looks pretty dated, but I have a copy in my DVD collection, just because to me it was a classic, and the effects still just are top notch for the time.

They never pull you out of it unless you're scrutinizing. Maybe that's because the film has believable characters and the story is good, so you just kind of subconsciously not notice little nitpicking details.

Yeah there's some special effects but the rest of it is just a fantastical drama shot well with just the actors. I'd wager maybe the screen time with the dragon is all of 10 to 15 minutes of the film, but they do a lot of those shots where it'll be on a character, and you know the dragons there but you never see it. Like a good horror movie not revealing the monster too early.

I disappoint I'm trying to make us they don't make movies like that any longer or if they do their little indie films, but the over reliance on CGI where everything's got to be bombastic in my opinion just doesn't compared to these older movies that had to use every cinematic trick in the book to make what you were saying believable.

To me if you were going to sum up that term movie magic, I guess maybe that's what I'm talking about. Willing suspension of disbelief on film. So many movies nowadays miss the mark with that.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Fell asleep early, so can't properly review.

Lasted long enough to watch the heroine - a normal human girl - repeatedly fall 100+ feet onto solid rock, and shrug it off both times in a flurry of Girl Power.

I imagine by the end she probably solod the dragon in unarmed combat, but what I saw wasnt interesting enough to finish.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Beastmaster.
Otto and Kotto will fuck your shit up. My dad took me to see that in the movie theater when I was a kid, and it was Mark Singer's greatest role. I think I even saw a beastmaster 2 adventures in time or whatever the hell in the theater as well. Trying to remember what Ripp Torns characters name was in the movie, Zamox? Michael ironsides was the villain in the second one, as he should be just like Highlander 2.

I remember when the Junn Horde rolls in at the end, and the hawk people flew in and digested all of them. Such a great movie. Movies were so much better back then.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity

Siliconemelons

Dragonslayer is gritty during the entire opening, the baby dragons and such eating the chick etc. the intro to the wizard is a bit on the nose because of the limits of effects but moves on quickly - the middle is mostly all mundane and no real cgi - has some boobs that is funny for a PG Disney movie lulz- the end is well written but suffers because it’s the most effect heavy cg part of the movie- so it will date itself. But really the dark intro and middle make the movie

• 4Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
To be fair, that is most action movies
I agree with you, its a common piece of ridiculousness in most action movies.

I'm just saying theres usually some kind of halfassed excuse why maybe its OK. The dudes a super spy. Or part alien. Or a ninja, or something. None of these really explain it but they all make some small gesture in that direction.

This chick was literally just some random human girl in a dress.

Singular7

Molten Core Raider
I enjoyed it, great visuals and audio, the feminism didnt bother me that much and I liked the end when they just embrace her being a badass. Dumb, yes, good entertainment though.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed it, great visuals and audio, the feminism didnt bother me that much and I liked the end when they just embrace her being a badass. Dumb, yes, good entertainment though.
She was "Almost" a badass.

She was not riding the dragon.....

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
don'tcha know that dress flares out like a parachute!!. that is how she can fall that far.

either that or "princess magic".

will catch this eventually.

Caliane

i mean, visually it does look good. But there is no way the script isn't going to just be hilarious propaganda.

over/under on the dragon being female and she makes friends with it, because women help women, and she returns to her home burning all her family and friends alive in a true girl power moment of no responsibilities?
dragons female-yep, she makes friends with it- yep, and yep, burns the entire kingdom to the ground killing every man women and child.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

yes, I did leave out, she lets the dragon kill her father, when he comes to rescue her, after figuring out she was going to be sacrificed to the dragon. She finds magic worms in the dragons lair that heal all wounds. She beats the dragon, tanking dragon fire to the face, and stabbing it multiple times with girl power. uses magic worms to heal. does not heal her father. after beating the dragon, with its own fire. yes, the dragons fire bounces off a rock and burns the dragon to death. (she heals it with the magic worms, because women don't kill only men do.)
Then goes back to the kingdom and unleashes the dragon on the kingdom killing everyone.

the dragon is of course mad at the kingdom, and demanding tribute of 3 daughters/princes because, the previous king attacked and killed the dragons 3 eggs.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
I still fucking love my old fantasy movies: Hawk the Slayer, Sword and the Sorcerer, etc.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Caliane

I just watched Sorceress the other day on amazon prime. I was considering making a post in the "rate what you've seen recently" thread.

1982 exploitation. jack hill direction. A cormin movie.
Lots of tits. A LOT of tits.
Absolutely good bad. Terrible acting. Terrible fight chorography. lots of tits.
An absurd plot. Twin girls raised isolated from people as boys, who don't know what boys are. "what is this thing called sex?"

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users