Dan Carlin - Hardcore History Podcast & Common Sense Podcast

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
rrr_img_92561.jpg

Dan hosts two podcasts Hardcore History and Common Sense. Hardcore History mixes Historical Events & Figures with Dan's ability to tell a great story. Common Sense is based on current political topics generally a week or two after the event.

From DanCarlin.com
He's been called a lot of things, but no one says that Dan Carlin is boring. His two long-running podcasts are among the most popular in the world. Part storyteller, part analyst, Carlin has mastered the art of looking at subjects from multiple angles and dissecting and thinking about them in original ways. He isn't afraid to go deep or to inject historical context into modern debates. Whether it's history or current events he's discussing, his passion is contagious, his approach refreshing and his ideas tickle your brain in all the right places. He'll make you mad too. You'll like it.

Links:
Dan Carlin

Dan Carlin YouTube

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - iTunes

Common Sense with Dan Carlin - iTunes

Hardcore History Podcast App - Google Play Store

The Hardcore History Episodes "Wrath of the Khans I-V" are by far my favorite thing he has done. I highly highly recommend you give them a listen, below is the YouTube link to the first one.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He's the best in the business. When ever I talk to someone about getting into podcast's, this is my starting point.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
His Ghengis Khan series literally gives me an erection. I love it so much.

I was thinking about buying his Rome series, I think it is like 10 bucks or something and I'm sure it is like 40 hours of content.

I also am really loving his WWI series. I never knew much about this war, the brutality sounds fake as shit and made up. But no, it really happened.

I have not listened to Common Sense though. What is it, like politics or something?

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
IMO the best podcast on Roman history isThe History of Rome: July 2007

Dude covers from the founding by Romulus and Remus to the death of the empire with excellent analysis. Not as fun as Dan but its something like 60 or more hours or something retarded. Love it to death.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I have not listened to Common Sense though. What is it, like politics or something?
In a word, yes. Dan definitely brings his personal views into play but he will cite historical events that are similar. He will also talk about how the 25 year old Dan Carlin would have perceived events likely in opposition to present day 50 year old Dan Carlin.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

Dude covers from the founding by Romulus and Remus to the death of the empire with excellent analysis. Not as fun as Dan but its something like 60 or more hours or something retarded. Love it to death.
I will definitely check that out. I read the Caesar books from Conn Iggulden a while back and really loved them, which is what promped me to start Hardcore History in the first place because after reading his books on Julius Caesar and Ghengis Khan I ended up finding Carlin's series on the Mongols.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Wrath of the Khans is like the best podcast series ever made.

Common Sense is not like any other political show I have ever heard. Dan is the most clear headed rational guy you will come across and it's never the usual "R's are great, D's hate America!" or vice versa that you get in most political commentary. If you're looking for someone to agree with your world view all the time then it's not the show for you, but he has a unique perspective that is pretty much always backed up with a rational argument and he has definitely changed my view on a few things over the years.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I loved the Ghengis khan one, but the current series on WW1 that he is doing is incredible. Mainly because fucking no one does shit on WW1.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

I will second this as awesome. Also i think its 90 hours, not 60
smile.png

As for Dan Carlin, i did not care much for the common sense podcast. It claimed to be unbiased which was not true.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
your right wormie, i forgot that the dude does like episode 40a b c d e for certain topics like the 2nd punic war or julius ceaser and augustus

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
your right wormie, i forgot that the dude does like episode 40a b c d e for certain topics like the 2nd punic war or julius ceaser and augustus
I remember it being around 180 episodes at 30 minutes each. Its a great show.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Thanks for like stealing 5 hours of my life and counting guys....

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That's always the complaint with Carlin. He is really picky about quality especially with the history show which is part of why it's so good but it gets pretty exasperating waiting for it sometimes.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Someone on this forum also linked John Green's History series which was pretty good, albeit much more condensed, less alternate sources, opinions/mind sets.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
eh, he produces ultra high quality and entertaining historical podcasts. GURM aint got nothing on dan.