Dan Carlin - Hardcore History Podcast & Common Sense Podcast

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ghost's of the Ostfront is my second favorite Hardcore History series behind Wrath of the Khans.

It details the WW2 Eastern front between Germany and Russia, a story you rarely hear about. It wasn't D-Day that broken the German backs, it was the seemingly unlimited man-power of Russia and the willingness of leadership to sacrifice them. The Russian crazed generals that would knowingly march their troops across mine-fields, simply to clear them. They would set up trench-line, upon line, upon line, with the purpose of the back lines to mow down their fellow soldiers if they fled their holes in retreat. Stalin was a mad man, no doubt... and that is what it took to break the German juggernaut.

rrr_img_93074.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Ghost's of the Ostfront is my second favorite Hardcore History series behind Wrath of the Khans.
I'll second that. I liked the Rome series and the current WW1 series but both went a little more in depth than I needed to go personally and I was sort of getting tired of them by the end. Ghosts of the Ostfront though had my full attention start to finish.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, the most entertaining, single episode has to be Episode 48, Prophets of Doom.

Preachers and Prophets take over the German city of Munster in 1534 ad, after Martin Luther unleashes religious anarchy with the Protestant Reformation. Like any good Shakespearean drama, the story is entertaining, hilarious, grotesque, and tragic. It is a 4 hour episode and by the end you will run the gambit of emotions and be spent.

The story is so outrageous, it is hard to believe it is true. Without a doubt, this is some of Dan's finest work.

Show 48 - Prophets of Doom.gif

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Also, the most entertaining, single episode has to be Episode 48, Prophets of Doom.

Preachers and Prophets take over the German city of Munster in 1534 ad, after Martin Luther unleashes religious anarchy with the Protestant Reformation. Like any good Shakespearean drama, the story is entertaining, hilarious, grotesque, and tragic. It is a 4 hour episode and by the end you will run the gambit of emotions and be spent.

The story is so outrageous, it is hard to believe it is true. Without a doubt, this is some of Dan's finest work.

Show 48 - Prophets of Doom.gif
That one was great! I didn't know any of that stuff about the anabaptists, completely insane.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I am already up to the Punic Wars. so much information packed into those things.

Elsebet

Peasant
My SO doesn't complain about traffic very much when I have a Dan Carlin podcast going, if that's not a glowing recommendation of how absorbing they are I don't know what is.
smile.png

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah it was a pretty amazing conclusion. I didn't know anything about WW1 so this whole podcast series has just been fucking awesome. It puts so much context to the things i already knew about WW2. And jesus christ the French, they lost millions. And Chamberlain, it really puts his actions into perspective.

I finished The History of Rome the other day as well. Great series. I have to admit that I became less invested after about Aurelius or so. But still, a lot of information and a lot of stuff I wasn't aware of. He has a new podcast called Revolutions, I just subbed to that and am going to check it out.

Right after I relisten to Carlin's Ghengis/Kublai Khan series. Shit is amazing. I really need to donate to this dude, he does such good work.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Dan Carlin's series about the fall of the Roman Republic is amazing. Starting from the Gracchi and going through Sulla and Caesar really gives you a sense of how choices made in earlier generations echo down into the political fall of the republic, and eventually led to the empire and all its imperfections.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I listened to wrath of the khans 1 on youtube and already knew all that. I'll try common sense I guess.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'll have to check it out. There's a shocking number of people who have no clue whatsoever to the reasons why the Japanese were like they were at the time, and how they were the youngin just looking to be adults like the other empires, only to be told to fuck off with arbitrary rules and a distaste for empires due to all the ones crumbling.

It's like starting a new MMO with your buddies who have been playing for years and how you look forward to being able to do the big bad raids and by the time you grind your sorry ass all the way to the top, all your buddies are bored with it all and look at you like an annoyance for wanting to do them, while also limiting the quality of your gear so as to not outshine the ones they accrued. Oh, and your buddies also broke into your home and raped your computer by slapping RGB all over it. So you say fuck it and decide to go out on your own, PK'ing some shitty noobs, only for the fat buddy to tell you to fuck off with that noise, so you gank him when he's afk.

This analogy needs to be fleshed out to cover all of WW2 but I'm too fucking lazy. Someone take over.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Finished the new episode today, looking forward to part three.

I listened to all of Death Throes of the Republic on a long drive once. Made it the drive tolerable.