DAOC: Origins - New Server

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
If you guys are rolling up on Alb, keep an eye out for invitations to Forge which is going to be a very large alliance/presence there. Quite a few guilds from Uthgard and previous days of pre-ToA Camelot are coming out of the woodwork to join and foster this alliance. Should be a formidable force against Midgard.

As far as exp gains are concerned it's definitely better than Uthgard. Seems like pet classes and/or groups are the way to go for best exp gains but make sure to not to stay too long at a camp or the camp bonus will dwindle to nothing.

I did the first few starting quests in Cotswold, then moved out to Shrouded Isle (via porter) and grinded mobs out there. Got to around 7 or 8 and then went into Lions Den (battleground) and grinded on giants/snakes until 10. From there to the undead filidh's and druids at /loc 53k,48k (hill with stones) in Camelot Hills until around 12, then back to SI until 15. Once you hit 15 you should be able to do entrance mobs of Darkness Falls and start participating more in the battlegrounds.

You could feasibly stay in SI for quite sometime grinding on mobs but I wanted a change of scenery.

How hard is it to "break" your toon in DAOC? Im in the game right now messing around, still undecided about which class to pick XD

Do i need a template and stick to it or else i might fubar my toon for a long time?

Im hesitating on Reaver, Merc, Sorc, Minstrel, Cabalist XD

Basically i want a good RvR class (thats wanted alot) that can fall back on solo PVE during off hours

Someone got a more in depth breakdown of classes for total noobs than this?

Uthgard DAOC: Albion Class Guide

Getting my first quest reward as minstrel dont even know if i should go might or dex or what lol

Tolin_sl

shitlord
So, viable to just level up in battlegrounds? I'm thinking of rolling up an infiltrator, but have no time to spend grouping (play is very sporadic).

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
The admins have placed an NPC in the marketplace of each capitol city where you can instant level from 1 to 50. Good way to test and go out with a bang.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
How hard is it to "break" your toon in DAOC? Im in the game right now messing around, still undecided about which class to pick XD

Do i need a template and stick to it or else i might fubar my toon for a long time?

Im hesitating on Reaver, Merc, Sorc, Minstrel, Cabalist XD

Basically i want a good RvR class (thats wanted alot) that can fall back on solo PVE during off hours

Someone got a more in depth breakdown of classes for total noobs than this?

Uthgard DAOC: Albion Class Guide

Getting my first quest reward as minstrel dont even know if i should go might or dex or what lol
Pretty sure just about every class can get specced into total uselessness. Research the class you are interested in and get a road map for the template you want at level 50. I do believe respeccing is possible, but it isn't easy. I think you need a rune from one of the realm dragons? Been years for me so I don't remember if there was a easier/cheaper way.

Just throwing points anywhere can not only make you a free kill at 50, even getting to 50 might be nearly impossible if you really fubar your spec since your damage output might be a fraction of what it should be.

Anyone know a good template listing for SI era classes? Kind of annoying being in the dark like that. Not sure i can even trust whats on uthgard because of patch difference.

Or a rough idea what to spec for mercs, sorcs and minstrels which is what i narrowed it down to by now.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
You can't really super gimp your classes while leveling, and respecs are available. If memory serves they cost a certain amount of gold and get more expensive at max level, but I think you get a free one at 40.

I have my Sorcerer planned out, but probably won't completely focus on Mind while leveling due to charm not needing it that high.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Mike wazowski from red99 btw?
Nope, I play as Ledd on P99, and Geck on red99. I'm amused someone uses Mike Wazowski. That's a character from Monsters, Inc. My Avatar I've used for the last ~10 years here and on FOH is Randall also from Monsters, Inc.

I'm actually tempted to make a Cabalist just since I figure they'll be very rare, and are super easy to level and play..

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Anyone know a good template listing for SI era classes? Kind of annoying being in the dark like that. Not sure i can even trust whats on uthgard because of patch difference.

Or a rough idea what to spec for mercs, sorcs and minstrels which is what i narrowed it down to by now.
I too am interested in this, going merc and no idea what I am doing.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Merc is pretty easy. You pump 50 into weapon, 50 into Dual Wield, and the rest into parry.

There will be respecs in this game, and it's not super complex.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
As a light tank I'd guess most would want to focus on damage dealing, especially for leveling. Parry is far more useful as you won't have a shield like an Armsman use and swap to a 2her, but that's different. Light tanks can guard but thats really situational. The cookie cutter is 50 weap/50 DW and Parry, I think

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Sounds good thanks, last question any difference between 1hs and 1hb? Like does blunt have a chance to stun or anything?

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Be careful about using any current information, as a lot of style lines and other things have had significant changes since the 1.62 patch this server is running. I'm not sure if they have fully answered the respec question, but it's definitely not unlimited for gold as of their last postings. I was getting conflicting information as to if it will be dragon drop only or if they will be giving a single line respec at level 20 and level 40 too. Go here for roughly 1.62 styles and ra's:

http://web.archive.org/web/200306031...ld.com/styles/

Hindered = Snare

http://uthgard.net/phpBB3/download/f...7637&mode=view(armor resist tables)

First quarter 2003 was the 1.62 Patch, so look for discussions around that time for information. Here are a few merc ones from different forums:

Mercenary General Discussion Forum

Merc 1.62 sc set 99 qua | The FreddysHouse Forums

http://web.archive.org/web/200308241...yrd/Albion.htm( rough growth rates for alb)

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Be careful about using any current information, as a lot of style lines and other things have had significant changes since the 1.62 patch this server is running. I'm not sure if they have fully answered the respec question, but it's definitely not unlimited for gold as of their last postings. I was getting conflicting information as to if it will be dragon drop only or if they will be giving a single line respec at level 20 and level 40 too. Go here for roughly 1.62 styles and ra's
Great links. The other caveat is by level 40 even those with no DAOC experience will have a good grasp of their character and at least an idea of what they want spec wise at 50. I'd still stick with my original recommendation for a character build.

I dug through their forums and I couldn't find any respec information. I'd also like to get a list of what things are different between original DAOC SI and this server. That wasn't really clear, either.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
So, I only played DAOC like a handful of hours before quitting in 2003 or 2004.

Heretic vs. Cleric at this patch of the game, what's the opinion? No idea if I'll actually stick with it this time either, but I'll check it out. I like going around healing / buffing people / being useful in RvR. Heretic is easier to level solo from what I gather. I would have to assume heretic is more DPS with less healing, or something.