DAOC: Origins - New Server

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
The server that is up right now is supposed to be just a open beta test and expected to reset for the proper launch of the server, right?

Gecko_sl

shitlord
As far as I understand it they are still testing things, and the server will be wiped.

I'll be on as some form of Mid melee named Rondel. Not sure which, yet.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The server that is up right now is supposed to be just a open beta test and expected to reset for the proper launch of the server, right?
I hope so, showed 13 people playing last night. Also when trying to patch the files via launcher I got a could not locate tmp/gamesomething.dll. Will install the patch manually tonight to see if that works.

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's still in beta with a wipe coming before release. They have said there are still some bugs (including launcher problems) they want to fix before the launch.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
LMK if Hunters, Bonedancers etc all work here correctly and if its peak is on anything resembling a US time zone unlike DoorQuest during my time on Uthgard.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I hope so, showed 13 people playing last night. Also when trying to patch the files via launcher I got a could not locate tmp/gamesomething.dll. Will install the patch manually tonight to see if that works.
Yeah, there were only 12 on in Midgard when I was there, too. I think some of that is its beta and they're going to wipe the server. They also need to drum up more interest for the server. I'm still holding out hope they use 3x or 4x experience for the game. I really don't want to level to 50 again at original DAOC speed.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I made a hibby at random and blasted down a few curmudgeonry assbanditrogs outside mag mell. Do you need like one account per realm if you want to switch sides?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah, there were only 12 on in Midgard when I was there, too. I think some of that is its beta and they're going to wipe the server. They also need to drum up more interest for the server. I'm still holding out hope they use 3x or 4x experience for the game. I really don't want to level to 50 again at original DAOC speed.
More XP would really go a long way, especially with the no boxing/buff bots rule.

Melicant

There are a few vocal people on their forums trying to actually get the XPslowedbecause they think it increases community. I know of a few dozen people right now that won't even roll there if the XP rate is original DAOC. Their server would actually be booming if you could mostly level through BG's and do it fairly quickly, but some people just don't seem to get that. Some discussions on leveling speed here:

http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3043

Melicant

I made a hibby at random and blasted down a few curmudgeonry assbanditrogs outside mag mell. Do you need like one account per realm if you want to switch sides?
Rules are one realm only, so you would actually have to delete your hibs if you wanted to play something else (they track accounts by IP, only 1 account per household without permission). Kind of sucks, but I don't think they have the mechanisms in place to prevent cross realming (like no realm switching for 24 hours).

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
The only way I'll even try this is if leveling is fast. I remember quitting DAOC very quickly back in the day because the low level PvE was so goddamn boring. I just want to try out the RvR stuff because I never saw it.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
There are a few vocal people on their forums trying to actually get the XPslowedbecause they think it increases community. I know of a few dozen people right now that won't even roll there if the XP rate is original DAOC. Their server would actually be booming if you could mostly level through BG's and do it fairly quickly, but some people just don't seem to get that. Some discussions on leveling speed here:

http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3043
Trying really hard to stay interested and throw support at XP increase but the elitist assholes are making that tough going.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Trying really hard to stay interested and throw support at XP increase but the elitist assholes are making that tough going.
I added a post at the end <I'm ledron there>. It's baffling to me why an old game with extremely poor PVE in an EMU setting that should be focused on group vs group and RVR would want to extend the pain and have experience be gained at the original rate.

Melicant

I added a post at the end <I'm ledron there>. It's baffling to me why an old game with extremely poor PVE in an EMU setting that should be focused on group vs group and RVR would want to extend the pain and have experience be gained at the original rate.
It's because a couple of very vocal elitists want "nostalgia" and think they are going to get it by grinding xp together. Inevitably they will find most people that try the server are going to quit by level 10 and these PVE fans won't get to experience their PVE either because there won't be anyone to group with. They are supposedly putting in a grouping bonus, but good luck with that if you are playing a non-ideal group class or you start the server late. It looks like Eden EMU just launched again (start at level 20, and hit 50 in a few hours), but I believe it has full TOA items (you can claim like 5 of them for free), has open PvP, and it doesn't have the best history as far as stability (server wipes every 4-5 months). Despite its issues Eden is already catching up to Uthgard in population.

A "Classic" type server with the current BG's and leveling speed (can do it all through BG's if you want) and no TOA items/bonuses would probably put all these other EMU's to shame as far as population.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Trying to determine where my interest in this lies. DAoC was an outstanding game from the PvP standpoint. PvE not so much, obviously but even then it wasn't entirely without merit when they managed to get it right (Darkness Falls). I'm completely on board with evoking an old school feel, but I sure as shit don't want to spend the majority of my time in the PvE portion of the game and I certainly don't want to take two hours to get to level 5.

Melicant

Running around auto-attacking for 2 hours isn't nostalgic? I just hope if they don't boost XP rates overall, they at least do it 1-20. Before level 20 DAOC is about as bland and boring as it gets for most of the classes. A lot of returning and new DAOC people are going to quit before ever hitting the good part of the game.

Skrigg

Golden Squire
Anyone know if the XP rates on Uthgard are the same as classic/SI? If so myself and some friends were able to level 1-50 in about 1.5 weeks of 8hr day play times. It wasn't really that bad.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Got in to play last night got to level 2 in about 10-15 mins just auto attack, I may switch from healer to either Berserker or Savage. Just waiting for launch at this point.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I made a thane because I remember people saying they were terrible. Seems ok at level 5!
biggrin.png