DAOC: Origins - New Server

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
Keltoi!
rrr_img_57241.jpg
This picture makes me happy. 3 tanks, 2 friars, dps, minst and a healer. Just fucking invite and go. Is this how it really is? I keep reading things from 1-11 years ago and it just kills my mood. Do level 50 friars get groups? scouts? pet necros? pet cabs?

Duppin_sl

shitlord
So the official statement about the xp zerg nerf and lack of wipe to balance things out is "too bad so sad".

I give this server a few months before it explodes. The people running it have no idea what they're doing.

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
So the official statement about the xp zerg nerf and lack of wipe to balance things out is "too bad so sad".

I give this server a few months before it explodes. The people running it have no idea what they're doing.
I looked at it like that for a bit but the way I see it they really didn't have any choice. Now, IMO they should have left it. After 2-3 days of everyone else doing it, it seemed silly to stop it. I will say this though, as a new player, the zerg was pretty cool. I didn't need to know the "leveling spots" and I didn't need to spec the "spec."

I think they did it because a shit ton of people would hit 50 in level 15 gear and quit. Also, the zerg was pretty much "soloing". You get in a group, join a bg and never talk to another soul again.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I looked at it like that for a bit but the way I see it they really didn't have any choice. Now, IMO they should have left it. After 2-3 days of everyone else doing it, it seemed silly to stop it. I will say this though, as a new player, the zerg was pretty cool. I didn't need to know the "leveling spots" and I didn't need to spec the "spec."

I think they did it because a shit ton of people would hit 50 in level 15 gear and quit. Also, the zerg was pretty much "soloing". You get in a group, join a bg and never talk to another soul again.
Leveling in DAOC generally sucks. Gear will come, but 40-50 is a pain. The zerg should've been left alone, especially since you have a ton of 50s and a lot of other people who weren't even able to log in due to problems with release, who might not bother to log in now.

They should have toned down the zerg exp, but not totally negated it like they did. Better, let everyone know you have 2 weeks of zerg exp and then we are turning it off, insread of saying oh, 300 50s, ya'll who couldn't log in due to our SQL errors, board screwups, and other things, too bad!

I agree with Duppin. This server will explode in 60 to 90 days. It's not well planned, and there's already a huge level disparity.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Not to mention that, whatever the reason, the level 50s are heavily skewed towards Hib and to a lesser extent Mid. So it's going to royally fuck any semblance of RvR balance for at LEAST a few months.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
It was supposed to have been removed already, but it didn't go in yet due to a "mistake". AKA the Hib guilds asked the devs to give them some more time to level up extra 50s.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
What a horseshit server launch. The website is fucked, SQL errors trying to even view the forums, I was able to create my character finally last night but was booted because of server down, now I can't even connect and get a "Service not available" error. On top of that everyone is 50 and I won't be able to ride the xp train by the time I am able to play.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
ok so this just released or whatever and is already broken and everyone is at cap?

glad i didn't waste my time

EDIT: and this will suffer the dreaded immersion shattering constant DDoS like every other emu
frown.png

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Group xp is not that much slower if you have a good one. And there's a bit of risk, lots of loot, lots more fun.

I walked out of Keltoi so heavy I could barely move. I looked like I was in bullet time.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
It'd be fine if they'd just wipe. I'd lose some progress myself, on a particularly painful class to level (armsman) but the reality is that this has given Hib, and to a lesser extent Mid, such a huge lead in RvR that it's probably going to have long-reaching effects.

Group XP is about where it should be, and I thought that the way they had that set up was a fantastic idea. I did KF the other night myself and had a great time. I thought it made it reasonable to level less group "wanted" classes too because you wanted all 8 group spots filled with basically anything as long as you could still kill.

What i wanted out of the server was sort of a its not the end but the journey thing where i get to have fun on the way up, meet people, see the different camps, etc... Not grindy like Uth but still "a journey". Instead we got this almost insta 50 server. Best thing to me would have been to wipe, but look like thats not going to happen. I agree with people who pointed out the account situation and then they nerf xp and they end up on a harsher way up where even noobs like me have a 50 merc and a 50 necro. Someone on the forums suggested a week of bonus xp to compensate. I hope they figure something out cuz it was a long time since i had fun like that in a MMO even while zergin (though got old at the end of my 2nd lvl50).

Everybody says the fun is in RvR so hopefully they understand not to put players who didnt get the 2 days of crazy xp at a serious handicap and we can start RvRing with most everyone having at least one level 50.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I don't think it matters really. My highest is 19 and I'm fine with it. Most classes need a ton of work post 50 to be worth a damn out in the war.

The only people that will be halfway ready are the people that scooped up all the loot during the leveling sessions hehe.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Epic quests are easy to finish with even a not-great geared group of 50s, and will give a reasonable baseline of starting gear.

You're going to have people from Alb getting to 50 at RR0 and dealing with Hib that will already be something like RR5. Which, ironically, is the exact thing that drove people away from Uthgard, not wanting to fight people with a big lead in RRs.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I don't think it matters really. My highest is 19 and I'm fine with it. Most classes need a ton of work post 50 to be worth a damn out in the war.
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't. In regards to pissing off those who have played a ton of DAOC before and aren't really excited about leveling to 50, and now have to grind in a traditional group setting, it really does. I couldn't log in due to server snafus, so I get to grind to 50 where as 500 hibs got a free ticket to ride. Sorry, no matter how you slice it, that's just total bullshit.

You can level fine in a group setting even though you missed out on the rush is not an answer. I'm going to consider whether I actually want to play here. I had planned on getting a few months fun out of this, but given how this has been handled coupled with the absolute shit state of the server I'm rethinking this.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah. The worst part is all the dunderheads defending this on their forums, which gives these devs something they can point at and say "see? These people think we're doing the right thing!"

No, those people are just really stupid.