DAoC: Uthgaard

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Is this server pre or post casting speed nerf? I remember being able to get my pbaoe wizards casting speed stupid fast.
IIRC most of the casting speed OPness came with TOA items which won't be around. If there was an earlier point where cast speed was op I dont remember it.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
So any idea on how long beta will last? I, somehow, overlooked that this is open beta and the servers will be wiping. Don't know how much effort I want to put in on a temporary character unless the servers going to be around for a decent amount of time.
Maybe 2 wiped and it wouldn't be quick. There is so much stuff for the staff to do. There was a post on the forums that suggested a solid few months of play time for lower level stuff then on a wipe and a instant level 30-40 sorta thing to hash out all the rvr stuff then another wipe after that to start x3 fresh and that would be it.

It's a video game.

There was a pretty sweet little big today, (for example) you could cast your entire mana pool of theurg pets in a second and go about your business. Boom, insta 10 pets.

It was patched pretty damned quick and this is a nice thing to see. I've been playing on broken ass servers for a decade and this would take 6 years to fix (hello Shards of Dalaya).

They had a mix of things and would get rid of something or bring it back.

Some of the PvE mobs like Megalodon were cool. Not sure if classic or era appropriate tbh, I'm not the DAoC beard around these parts so much.

Server was good and no buff bots is the best system imo, but it really turned into a private 8v8 club and I could never find any real kind of mass pvp. Just people taking their ball and going home if they lost... or even won (gg no re)... Quite a grind for max level and a full template just to run into that again. If the community changes and allows mass pvp / doesn't play this "pleb" denial shit from realm points, it will be great. I mean what did they have to ever prove, these top dudes would stomp groups every single time regardless of their realm rank. Just some retarded shit I guess. I'd only play a stealther here if I did play
smile.png
a day spent pve'ing in the free official trial of daoc was enough to satisfy my nostalgia. you can grind your way to 50 easily in a day or so, but i wouldn't want to spend any more time doing it again at the original xp rate. hell, altantis (when the bugs were fleshed out) was an interesting pve experience.
and maybe the time spent developing your character meant a higher retention/attachment rate than that of a insta-50 character, but the end game is pvp. there should only be 1 pvp zone. these origins servers are just playing to nostalgia. the mechanics and bonuses (once it was somewhat balanced out) broughtby toa+ made the game more interesting and more even keeled (champion levels buffs and npc buffers). as it is now, it went too far -- stacking is one of the main issues.

i haven't played it, but lethantis had an interesting idea: it was just a modified ffa pvp frontier zone. it now seems dead.
perhaps it wasn't enough but my ideal server would be:
-pvp flags: one that allow you to solo without being ganked (counter reduces after each kills/deaths. toggle flags only at keeps. resets each day. quest to get more solo immunity etc)
-claiming a land stake as a group: plant a flag, if the group dies or the flag is taken the the claim is lost.
-divide the map up into hexes and make a meta game (of the complexity of GO) of owership/claiming
-add more relic-like things or bonuses: if you own x hexes you realm get +10% heal. if you captured x numbers of things you get y bonus.
-1 zone that's a dynamic scaling in size relative to the current population: it feels empty and lonely and tradgic.
-rebalanced master levels.
-class changes across the board (some lines are defunct)
-no classes from toa+
-timer lockout from playing another realm. (ideally ffa pvp instead of rvr)
-all toa encounters and dragons are in the NF zone: maybe put df in the middle of the map -- not as a seperate zone but a reworked open dungeon; randomly spawn from a list toa encounters in random spots in the zone if you complete x quest or x meta condition.
-reduce incombat regen
-rework timers/stacking absorb
-there needs to be normalized buffs (particularly for solo ala cl buffs or npc buffers)
-a rework of the ui
-reword the crafting system into the pve and pvp. rog dropped components in crafting
-limit the entrances/exits to safe area: once you leave a safe spot, you can't return until you die or until x time passes.
-ra timers doesn't regenerate in safe areas; it adds negatively to it up to a fixed amount
-killing the same ppl returns exponentially less rp.
-... etc

effectively i want a new game. there's so much that could be done creatively with daoc as a base.. but as it is, roaming isn't enough for me now, it's dated and played out. my guess that even if there was a modded server like this -- it would still be niche and wouldn't have the turnout as something new -- like camelotunchained.

J_Hurry

Molten Core Raider
You guys ready for tomorrow's launch? Especially if you missed the DAoC boat back in 2001, this will most likely be your final chance to experience the original flavor of this epic MMO. Leveling will be intense, all 3 realms will be racing to the frontiers to battle it out and bring back the relics for their realm. Realm pride is everything in DAoC so make sure you choose the realm that best represents you. As far as races/classes go, 15/18 races and 38/45 classes are available so here are the class guides to get you started.

Albion: Uthgard DAOC: Albion Class Guide
Hibernia: Uthgard DAOC: Hibernia Class Guide
Midgard: Uthgard DAOC: Midgard Class Guide

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Will be doing Alb paladin and rolling with a few friends. Also there is another thread in the emu subforum.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I don't know that I'll play much, but I will roll a character up just to see the day 1 chaos :D

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Minstrel is the only true class. Also the guide above recommends thrust. Teh fuk? Slash Plz. I recall being something like 44 instr, 25 stealth rest into slash? Sounds about right.

What size population is expected?

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I'm expecting 2-4k concurrent for the first few weeks with crazy queues and server issues. Then, when the reality of what classic leveling is sits in, the furor will die down a little bit. But not by much -- Uthgard had a sizable player base years after launch, I think I recall 1k concurrent in US hours back in 2014. SI in the pipeline will bring back some burnouts.

I'd love to roll Minstrel first char but I can't -- I'd feel like a failure if I didn't AT and if I do AT I'd just ragequit after a few days. Probably going to do Necro despite knowing nothing about the class. My impression is Necro is a strong first character to bankroll the second.

J_Hurry

Molten Core Raider
Minstrel is the only true class. Also the guide above recommends thrust. Teh fuk? Slash Plz. I recall being something like 44 instr, 25 stealth rest into slash? Sounds about right.

What size population is expected?

"Race: Saracen is a good race choice of going Thrust weapon type. Highlander may be a better choice for Slash."

Noahx

N00b
Could be fun
Curious why this nearly got instantly put into play after servers went lights out but City of Heroes sits in some dusty server at the bottom of the mothership.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So we rolling this or what? Camelot was the game that got me into MMOs. Strangley I went to EQ after Camelot so that was ass backwards. Anyway, I remember the glory days of Midgard Merlin and PRX on Andred.

If we do this I'd like to do it right. Get a PBAoE group grinding people to 50 in no time. If I can't find anyone who wants to go I have a few friends and we might just do a stealth group on Albion because I believe this is when daggers were broken as fuck.

EDIT: not daggers, thrust! my god i've lost my stripes :(

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
So we rolling this or what? Camelot was the game that got me into MMOs. Strangley I went to EQ after Camelot so that was ass backwards. Anyway, I remember the glory days of Midgard Merlin and PRX on Andred.

If we do this I'd like to do it right. Get a PBAoE group grinding people to 50 in no time. If I can't find anyone who wants to go I have a few friends and we might just do a stealth group on Albion because I believe this is when daggers were broken as fuck.

EDIT: not daggers, thrust! my god i've lost my stripes :(

I'm going either Nec or Cab for my first character. I've got RL friends who might play and I want a strong plvling char in case they do. I can't really go hard on leveling until Feb so I'm not going to commit to any pre-made leveling plan =/

EDIT: some people will always love stealthers, but that being said, its gonna be hard as fuck on a reboot for a stealther to hit 50 and put together his template. Smart PVE groups don't want them and they can't solo for shit. If you don't have a guild then don't start a stealther. Start a more solo or group friendly character to fuel the stealther. And since we're talking Alb, that means Inf/Min.

Sorce

Molten Core Raider
So, is the experience rate going to be like live or have they increased it to some degree?

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I think xp rate is slightly increased, but you're still looking at a little over a week of hardcore grinding to hit 50 from what I've read.

Prolly going Reaver if I fold and roll Alb