Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3...

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Haha, when I didn't travel anywhere I assumed I hadn't unlocked something yet. I did not put two and two together because I didn't notice the tits until I was back in Majula.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Starting to enjoy DS2 a bit more. After my character's double mastectomy, killed the Purseuer a few more times and needed titanite shards so like an idiot went to Black Gulch. I died a ton but always reclaimed my soils, I had a solid drop rate on titanite shards. I hate that zone as much I have hated any zone in any game. The rewards were good, but fuck those statues. That boss xp was solid too. Al that exp allowed me to level my adaptability to 39.

After that I got vit, enh & vgr all to 20 and I currently have 28 strength. I found a new area didn't pay attention to what was called. It is a foggy mountain area with caves and bridges. Good xp here too, just found a boss dog wall across the big bridge. Didn't go in, port to bonfire because I had 40k souls. Also, rediscovered an area that had a statue earlier that I forgot about even though the lvl bitch tells me to go there everytime I see her.

Anyway, my question is whatever I do with all these boss soul shards? Do they make weapons?

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Depends greatly on what your build setup is. Also there are three boss soul venders in the game, so sitting on them for a while if you are playing without spoilers is a good idea. If you are doing the Unga Bunga thing, the sword from the Last Giant is pretty damn good until later on. The optional lancer boss in the early floating platform area (just past a dragon) is a good place to get either a great early lance or an awesome bow, but he can be tough to do solo early. Honestly though, if you want to be patient for the later boss soul vendor, there is a flaming one hand sword very early on you can snag that can carry you through most of the early game. The area I think you are in has a lot of good potential drops and the boss past the fog wall is basically an optional boss with a decent spear drop (fight is kind of a gimick fight with a nasty runback). There are also some great NPC phantoms with nice drops in the area. The actual main boss has a brutal runback, unless you clear out the caves (some one time spawns in there and a door to unlock) to make it pretty short from the locked bonfire before the first of the cliffs.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I have been using that Flame Sword as a two hander since I got it. I also leveled up a Halbred and infused it with lightning which I would use situationally. Recently I just started leveling up a Great Club.

Other than looking up so info on Adaptability I trying to play spoiler free just like I played DS1.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah if you are not going classic sword and board, Adaptability is extremely important in DS2. One thing that sets DS2 apart from other games in the series is that it has a larger number of optional bosses scattered around. The game is also much more linear after the first part of it, though you generally have two areas to work on at any given point in the game.

If you are not using casting much (and it is a lot of fun in this game, especially lightning faith casters and dark casters), getting the dragon rider bow is a great option for when you need to tap things at a distance. Also remember that if you kill things enough times (8 in most cases) they will not respawn, so you can use that mechanic to both farm an area for a bit while also making runbacks to the boss easier. You can use an item to respawn the area, but this makes it the equivalent of a new game cycle for that area including any associated boss so be careful doing that. This is also a way to get multiple rare items on a first run, such as the Sinners Sword and MLGS, but you basically have to have read spoilers to know where those things are.

If you like two handed swords and halberds, you will like this game more because there are a lot of really good options for that. The last giant sword is available early and viable the entire game. The BK Halberd that comes a little later is arguably the best halberd weapon in any souls game. But honestly, if you are avoiding magic smithing up stronger mundane weapons is probably superior until you get to the near end of the game. Just always keep fire based attacks in your arsenal because it comes up a fair amount through to the end of the game.

One last bit, the DLCs are accessible somewhat early, but dont dive in to them immediately. The enemies have stacked resistances, especially to lightning and sorcery, they hit harder, and are generally more clever in their tactics. So you want to be pretty well into your build before giving them a go.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Yeah if you are not going classic sword and board, Adaptability is extremely important in DS2. One thing that sets DS2 apart from other games in the series is that it has a larger number of optional bosses scattered around. The game is also much more linear after the first part of it, though you generally have two areas to work on at any given point in the game.

If you are not using casting much (and it is a lot of fun in this game, especially lightning faith casters and dark casters), getting the dragon rider bow is a great option for when you need to tap things at a distance. Also remember that if you kill things enough times (8 in most cases) they will not respawn, so you can use that mechanic to both farm an area for a bit while also making runbacks to the boss easier. You can use an item to respawn the area, but this makes it the equivalent of a new game cycle for that area including any associated boss so be careful doing that. This is also a way to get multiple rare items on a first run, such as the Sinners Sword and MLGS, but you basically have to have read spoilers to know where those things are.

If you like two handed swords and halberds, you will like this game more because there are a lot of really good options for that. The last giant sword is available early and viable the entire game. The BK Halberd that comes a little later is arguably the best halberd weapon in any souls game. But honestly, if you are avoiding magic smithing up stronger mundane weapons is probably superior until you get to the near end of the game. Just always keep fire based attacks in your arsenal because it comes up a fair amount through to the end of the game.

One last bit, the DLCs are accessible somewhat early, but dont dive in to them immediately. The enemies have stacked resistances, especially to lightning and sorcery, they hit harder, and are generally more clever in their tactics. So you want to be pretty well into your build before giving them a go.
How do you know they are DLC areas?

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In the case of DS 2, there are rooms with pillars and initially you are barred from entering the portals there.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
In the case of DS 2, there are rooms with pillars and initially you are barred from entering the portals there.
So like the room after the boss in the Black Gulch? There were three headless snakes rising up over a bowl which ported me to a room with a door I could not open.

• 1Truth!

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
So like the room after the boss in the Black Gulch? There were three headless snakes rising up over a bowl which ported me to a room with a door I could not open.

Yes, there are three of those. I think you have to get to the palace and beat the mirror knight before those things unlock.

My fav early-mid unga bunga 2h was the greatsword that looks like the guts sword and/or cloud's ff7 sword. It's technically an ultra greatsword category, but it's named "Greatsword."

• 1Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah that weapon exists in nearly every souls game. If you are pure STR, it is arguably one of the best when fully upgraded, too.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Depends greatly on what your build setup is. Also there are three boss soul venders in the game, so sitting on them for a while if you are playing without spoilers is a good idea. If you are doing the Unga Bunga thing, the sword from the Last Giant is pretty damn good until later on. The optional lancer boss in the early floating platform area (just past a dragon) is a good place to get either a great early lance or an awesome bow, but he can be tough to do solo early. Honestly though, if you want to be patient for the later boss soul vendor, there is a flaming one hand sword very early on you can snag that can carry you through most of the early game. The area I think you are in has a lot of good potential drops and the boss past the fog wall is basically an optional boss with a decent spear drop (fight is kind of a gimick fight with a nasty runback). There are also some great NPC phantoms with nice drops in the area. The actual main boss has a brutal runback, unless you clear out the caves (some one time spawns in there and a door to unlock) to make it pretty short from the locked bonfire before the first of the cliffs.

I was gonna say, the Fire Longsword is what got me through like a third of DS2. It's pretty easy to get in that first fortress area. When I initially played it and was having issues getting anywhere, finding that was the game changer where I started progressing.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Man, I used to be able to roll nonstop like that. Now I'd probably either pull a muscle or be gasping for air like a beached trout by the 2nd one.

I got winded just watching that video.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users