Dark Souls 2

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can't use my white sign soapstone in these areas. Are you sure you're not theorycrafting here on wrong info?

Elerion

N00b
You have to use the soapstone outside, I guess. I faced plenty of groups when I PvP'd in Belfry for chunks.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You have to use the soapstone outside, I guess. I faced plenty of groups when I PvP'd in Belfry for chunks.
I guess if I throw down my 1.4m SM sign in a regular NG I'm not gonna get summoned now, I'd love to try this. Oh well, gotta finish the NG then.

What type of Phantoms did you see? I know there can be red, hostile to everyone, but blue? Golden, White?

Elerion

N00b
White, so summoned by white soapstone. Belfry Luna falls naturally before people join sunbros, otherwise I guess there would have been some gold as well.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not always. I completely missed Luna until after I had cleared everything on my first run.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They really should change it to if you also kill a blue invader you get -1 from sin too. I've killed so many blues since starting NG+ on PC that it isn't even funny. Not too many of them are good at all and I'm not that good at PVP as it is.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you don't have a Pharros Lockstone on you when you reach the Servants quarter's bonfire, you'll simply not go to Belfry Luna unless you really decide to throw down 4k souls for the sold Lockstone. I decided not to, because I knew what a fucking awful fight the Gargoyles are for a low level character.

Poise seems to be really weird in this game, as mentioned earlier I have a lot of poise, yet often I stumble even after 1 hit :/

But Black Knight Halberd still is ridiculously OP. Everything just melts.

and I have to say god this game drags out... Collected four ancient or whatever souls, expected final fight in Drangleic castle. Like DS1. Shrine of Armani least favorite zone so far. Water sucks.

axeman_sl

shitlord
The game is really broken in a lot of ways. The way mobs react to being attacked from range is frankly an affront to game design, for instance. You can cheese 75% of the content by just abusing spells or bows to kill things without them reacting or doing anything more than wander retardedly towards you in a straight line. The enemy AI is so bad it feels like some kind of alpha combat engine test.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah you have been able to exploit mobs from range since world one in Demon's Souls.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'd even say it's a pretty core mechanic of the game, as there are plenty of mobs that trying to go toe-to-toe with generally ends up going very badly.

nate_sl

shitlord
Yeah, abusing the AI is almost a design feature. This game is hard, you take what you can get.

I seem to recall another game that was pretty popular on this forum that had extensive mechanic exploitation. People raved about it because it encouraged smart play and thinking outside the box. What was the name of that game again? Ever-something-or-other I think.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Is there something I should be doing with the souls you get from defeating bosses other than just using them to level up? The description on all of them alludes to another use for them, but I don't have a clue what it is.

Just downed the gargoyles, they didn't seem too bad. I died more trying to kill the bastard NPCs at the top of the bell tower than I did to the gargoyles. I'm still just plugging away with my starter mace from being a cleric, and it's upgraded to about +6(I think the damage is listed as 180 base then +84 due to str or whatever). As long as you have a shield that blocks 95+% of physical, the gargoyles aren't too bad. Just a REALLY long fight trying to find the right spot to get in 1 hit while 3-4 of them barrage you. Probably took me 10 minutes to kill them once I finally did, but it was only my 4th or 5th try at most.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Boss Souls can be used to make Boss Weapons - which are generally cool-looking but inferior to whatever +10/+5 item you originally planned on using. There are a few exceptions - for example, I use the Dragon Rider Bow - but the rest of the Boss Weapons I tried were pretty underwhelming. Depends a lot on your playstyle. Check out a list here if you don't mind minor spoilers and are looking to see if it is worth investing:

Dark Souls 2 Wiki - Boss Soul Weapons

Giant Souls can be used for...well just keep those in your inventory. Trust me.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I upgraded the Smelter Sword to +5 (max) and it's hitting for over 500 per swing one handed with 40 str / 24 dex. Most boss weapons are not the best in class, but man are they fun to use, and almost all of them have special R2 attacks.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I upgraded the Smelter Sword to +5 (max) and it's hitting for over 500 per swing one handed with 40 str / 24 dex. Most boss weapons are not the best in class, but man are they fun to use, and almost all of them have special R2 attacks.
I upped the spidersilk sword after seeing the dodge attack, dominates in PvP, very fast 2 hit counter type of attack.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Only boss weapons I'd say are particularly good are Sacred Chime Hammer (if you like big-ass 2H weapons, this is by FAR the best in the game once dark-infused and then buffed with resonant weapon), Moonlight Greatsword (only for pure-int builds after the nerf), and the Dragonrider Bow/Bow of Want (the latter if you have 50ish faith). Defender's Shield is alright if you have spare bones to upgrade it and you didn't get lucky with an Old Knight Shield in the first hour of the game.

Most disappointing by far I'd say is the Defender's Greatsword. People talked that thing up like it was something really special for a 50 faith build, but it's not even as good as a fucking Lightning Claymore +10. Ruler's Sword too, since the thing is completely broken and doesn't actually scale off the souls you carry at all.

I just ate all the other souls, aside from the ones that gave useful spells like Toxic Mist, Flame Weapon, etc.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Watchers shield is small and light and is 95% physical def to start. If you infuse it with lightning, it goes to 100 light resist. The twitch pvp flavor of the month is the chaos blade which requires a drop from the Lost Sinner in ng+. I've also heard good things about the pursuer's ultra greatsword, but I haven't played a build yet with the strength to use it