Dark Souls 2

axeman_sl

shitlord
Heide sword is just good for making FoFG easymode. It does way more damage than anything you've got when you find it and you'll two-shot nearly everything in that area. As soon as you have the titanite to upgrade another weapon a bit, there are much better options.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Yeah.. when i started as a cleric i was hitting harder with a +0 mace that you start with compared to a +2 heide sword lol
but i stuck with it anyway to give it a whirl.

Not a fan in the end though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Fire longsword is good against the last giant, but mace trumps it for most everything else early game. Especially in Heide's Tower, where you're at a big disadvantage if you aren't dealing strike damage.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Both BK weapons are really good when you first get them, particularly the halberd on any sort of caster build. Heide and Fire are decent for a caster up until those become available. Really, though, any weapon with movesets you are comfortable is workable for at least the first half of the game on the initial playthrough. Once you get to the Sinner and beyond the door, its time to get a real weapon. Really, the only weapon I am disappointed with are the spears, but that's probably lingering overnerf from how uber they were in Demons Souls.

Vorph

Why choose a 17 str & 26 dex weapon that competes with sunset staff/staff of wisdom/dragon chime for twinkling titanite on a caster build? I would choose either barbed club* or a claymore.

*-For those unaware, barbed club actually gains damage across the board when infused. There is no trade-off; at +5 it goes from like 250 phys to 306, gains 87 magic/fire/lightning/dark, and even gets a bump on its bleed from 100 to 122. The combination of strike damage, B-scaling infuse, matching element weapon buff, and sacred oath hits like a truck for a weapon with the speed and moveset of the hammer class. The only downside is its range.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So what's the deal with infusion stones? I'm playing a sorceror and got a faintstone. Do I want to use it on a specific staff?

Vorph

For early-mid game Archdrake Staff (buy from the hex dude just before Huntsman's Copse) is your best bet. You really only need 2-3 faintstones ever, so if you've unlocked infusions there's no reason not to go ahead and use a faintstone on it.

There's a way to farm a much better one at the end of Copse, but it's kind of a pain in the ass.
Go to the Chariot boss and kill the necromancers inside, dying to the boss each time if the Lizard Staff doesn't drop from one of them. Use gold ring, jester's cap, prisoner's tatters, and rusted coins to make it less annoying.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Durability is really bugged on PC. If you swing at a corpse you take a massive durability hit and the shit still hasn't been fixed. The only good thing about it is that it's teaching me not to R1 spam.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I thought that was just because you lose durability when your weapon comes into contact with anything (walls,floor, etc)?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah if you hit a wall you lose some durability, pretty annoying when using low durability weapons like katanas and rapiers and fighting in close spaces. Might be a bug with corpses specifically though don't know.

Vorph

It's a bug with corpses, and it's also tied to the framerate that the game is running at. That's why the PC version exhibits vastly quicker weapon degradation when you hit a corpse or invulnerable friendly than the consoles. I broke my Santier's Spear (the initial version with 500/500 durability) on a friendly Rat covenant mastodon in like 60-70 seconds and on the PS3 that takes at least several minutes of constant swinging.

Because From still hasn't learned to not tie other game systems to the engine's framerate--a dumb idea even on consoles considering their games don't exactly run at a stable framerate there--I would not expect to see the bug ever get fixed. About the only thing they could do is disable corpses and friendlies from causing durability damage at all.

Vorph

While the tears of PVPers playing a game in which Gower's Ring has no durability would be amusing, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for From to rip it out of the game entirely. It's one of the game systems someone there seems to love "fixing" in each iteration of the series even though it worked fine in Demon's Souls and should have been left alone.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, I know they'd never remove it. But simply making the amounts of durability on weapons something reasonable would be nice.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I used a bonfire ascetic for the skeleton lords, and I do fine up until I kill the last one and I get the 4 wheel skeletons. They absolutely pummel my ass. Any protips?

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Run to a corner so they can't attack you from behind and use the pillars in the room to your advantage. They're nowhere near as much of a pain in the ass as dark souls 1