Dark Souls 2

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Heide Sword + Drangleic Shield is almost this game's equivalent to Purple Flame Shield + Winged Spear from DeS. AKA don't worry about shit for the rest of the game, you're on coast.

nate_sl

shitlord
Heide Sword + Drangleic Shield is almost this game's equivalent to Purple Flame Shield + Winged Spear from DeS. AKA don't worry about shit for the rest of the game, you're on coast.
I agree that stuff is fine gear, but by endgame a heide sword you never upgraded isn't going to pack much of a punch.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I agree that stuff is fine gear, but by endgame a heide sword you never upgraded isn't going to pack much of a punch.
Sure but the same could be said for any item, really. Discounting the strong starters like BK weapons and the like.

nate_sl

shitlord
I'm not disagreeing. Supertouch said the game was easy for him after he beat it with basic armor and an un-upgraded heide sword, with randomly allocated stats. This is hard for me to believe, unless he had extensive prior experience, which doesn't seem to be the case if I'm understanding his posts correctly.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I collected the Ring of the King, I attacked Vendrick and was able to hurt him really well, I almost had him down to 25% then I had to sneeze, and sneezed a handful into my, well, hand, so as I was trying to go back and left and block with my left hand (probably only possible on a keyboard, master race again) I reached for a tissue with my right hand . But I slipped off or didn't pay enough attention to stamina, released Block and got killed.

I wonder if could have finished the game right there and then. When I went in a second time, he was invulerable.

But how do you PVP now? It seems if you want to get invaded nonstop, you need to enter NG+ with a ton of sin on you, so the Blue Sentinels will keep coming for you. Getting invaded before NG++ seems to be a no go, as players don't have an unlimited red eye orb supply until they're somewhat deep into NG+. Because of this, a lot of blue sentinels are unemployed because the way of the blue players aren't being invaded by red phantoms. So that only leaves consensual duels or extremely lopsided Grey phantom fights?

Anyone in NG++ can confirm that the Convenants finally work the way they were described? The only thing I found so far is people complaining that blue sentinels are pointless because in very high SM ranges, fights are over so fast (1-2hit kills) they don't get there in time.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The only place I've been invaded has been Huntsman's Copse, I assume since it's so close to the Brotherhood of Blood. Then again I'm at like 4.5 mil SM so I'm probably just out of NG invasion range.

Hopefully it's different in NG+ once I get there because I like the PVP.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You have a SM of 4500k in NG still? How much did you farm?

I left NG at 3100k with all bosses but one killed and some excessive, stupid farming and I used every single white soul I have. Did you use all the boss souls?

I'm at 4000k SM now, I have not been invaded once.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Invading is plentiful for both reds and blues as soon as you get to the covenant leaders in ng+

When I finished the main quest line in ng+, I had more than enough souls to fully upgrade alternate armor and weapons to try stuff out. I also bought 99 blue orbs to finish off blue rank 2 and get Wrath of the Gods. I don't play every night, and I did it in a week. (I'm staying at SL 150 and in ng+)

Lenas

Trump's Staff
You have a SM of 4500k in NG still? How much did you farm?
Haven't made any spawns extinct except for acolytes in Aldia's keep. Ascetic use: 1x Undead Purgatory, 2x Sinner's Rise, 3x Dragon Aerie, 5x Giant Lord (~60% of my total souls).

The Giant Lord run is somewhere around 500,000 if you wear +soul gear and use the souls you find.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Depends on what you mean by viable. I've seen people wreck with ultra great swords, giant clubs, halberds, axes, great swords, rapiers, etc

Katanas are fotm, but I'm personally not a fan

axeman_sl

shitlord
Well, the campaign is easy enough that you can complete it with basically any weapon, but the selection of top weapons is very small. There's like ten weapons that are head and shoulders above the rest, and entire classifications of weapons that aren't worth using at all unless you just really want to beat the game with like a spear for the sake of it. There aren't enough weapons that feel comparable to the few that are blatantly vastly superior.

Needless

Toe Sucker
making a new character, gonna bust out a faith/str build and rock a lightning defenders greatsword, looks fun!

Needless

Toe Sucker
Haha.. I just realized i'm quite underleveled on my new character for being in the iron keep already.. i think i'm like lvl 50 or something on him. I haven't seen a summoning sign since the lost bastille

I decided to try the heide knight sword, got it to +10 and lightning very quickly, but i still don't think its that great? I only have 30 faith atm though so perhaps it doesn't start shining until 50 faith?
I just don't like the range it has at all, I want to bust out a greatsword and go full on paladin mode.

I just want a defenders greatsword
frown.png

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finally beat the game. The ending was kind of lame though, no real choice like in Dark Souls.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Heide sword is garbage--the moveset and damage when upgraded to lightning are far inferior to a plain old lightning mace (especially since the mace does strike damage, which kicks the shit out of slash/pierce throughout the game). That's why I thought it was so odd that Lenas was going on about it being some kind of easy mode weapon.

Defender's greatsword is alright with 50 faith, but it's not nearly as good as people make it out to be. The R2 buff seems nice at first, but doesn't last nearly as long as a weapon buff you cast yourself and having to carry around a ton of repair powder to fix the thing all the time is annoying. I like my lightning claymore better even though it does slightly less damage. If I'm going to spend souls on weapon upkeep, I'd rather just use a dark-infused weapon with resonant weapon and sacred oath buffs.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Yeah i definitely was going to grab a claymore once i get to the shaded woods, which i guess i can technically do now that i've already killed the sinner.
9 times out of 10 i've been 2 handing that shitty heide sword but would be far better off using a claymore instead lol

I'm still convinced on the DGS though just because i don't want to do a dark build, my other character is already hex/dark chaos blade. I might do lightning thorn greatsword for shits n giggles as well but that requires 3 more dex i think.

Either way, gonna grab a claymore tonight and beat shit up with that. It was always one of my favorite weps in DS1 lol, hopefully its still decent in DS2

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Last night I got a lion greataxe, +10'd and fire infused, been using it with flame weapon, power stanced with CDGS +3. First swing is somewhere around 750 damage, pretty sick.