Dark Souls 2

MrBelding_sl

shitlord
The only real downside of killing him is hes the only one outside of chester, that sells lloyd's talismans, which are good for pvp.
But pvp isnt actually for everybody lol
I think he is only merchant that sells repair powder too, unless you buy the DLC. Repair powder is really only needed for pvp I guess too, and only if you are using a very fragile weapon.

Lloyd's Talismans can be used to calm mimics and therefore guarantee you get a Symbol of Avarice. If you don't have DLC, I'd really recommend farming a symbol before killing him at least, it stacks and amplifies silver serpent ring - makes soul farming that much faster...

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
If anyone is interested in learning about / refreshing on Dark Souls lore, this guy does it justice:link to youtube playlist. He has a good breakdown of the DS2 trailer as well. I'd say he's the most studious guy on the subject and wasted a few hours watching the videos.

Cheers

Gecko_sl

shitlord
how do you do the runjump attack with KB+M ?
I tried for about 8 hours to get KB+M to work with this, and while it's playable, the game works far better with an Xbox 360 Controller. I can't recommend enough to nab one to play this game on.

One thing I've noticed playing this through on the PC, is that 1/2 the invaders seem to be hacking. I can't remember any invader weirdness on the PS3 like I see on the PC. Jolly coop is far easier to get rolling on the PS3, too. I'm hoping with DSII that there will be a lot more people, and more anti cheating.

Budos

I tried for about 8 hours to get KB+M to work with this, and while it's playable, the game works far better with an Xbox 360 Controller. I can't recommend enough to nab one to play this game on.

One thing I've noticed playing this through on the PC, is that 1/2 the invaders seem to be hacking. I can't remember any invader weirdness on the PS3 like I see on the PC. Jolly coop is far easier to get rolling on the PS3, too. I'm hoping with DSII that there will be a lot more people, and more anti cheating.
Hacking is pretty common on 360 too. Though most of it is armor stacking, max stats on low levels and everything else that's attainable with save editing. At the end of the day, if you've played a bit and have some decent gear yourself, this isn't a big deal, the invaders are still killable. I've even trolled invaders on a regular NG with a 500+ level character with gear (thanks BB & DHS glitches).

What actually makes up the 'hacking' on pc?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I honestly spend 99% of my time hollowed, so for the most part hackers are a non-issue. I did, however, make the mistake of being human in anor londo once. Literally an invasion every possible moment. Killed a guy, got killed by a different guy, decided that hollowed was the way to go.

Breakarms_sl

shitlord
One mystery to me with Dark Souls PVP on PC is how some players are completely immune to magic. I only suspect these are hacking because these guys always turn out to be High Ping Bastards who based on your client, can backstab you just by letting them get within melee range. They are incredibly cheesy because you can't hurt them and they just right straight at you and backstab you the moment you make any move what so ever while in melee range. Am I missing something here?

Nirrudn_sl

shitlord
Well I think the game could be a little more directive/explanative about what the fuck you're supposed to do, especially early on. In Dark Souls terms, it'd simply be to have the NPCs tell you you should head to the first bell on top of the castle and not down the catacombs or New Londo and make that path a little more obvious(I think it's the least obvious path, catacombs, elevator that doesn't work yet and the way down are more obvious and they're all where you definitely don't want to go when you start). You don't need Navi telling you "eh listen, you should try to shoot at the dragon's tail from under the bridge to get a better weapon" but you can still be a little more helpful than what you got in Dark Souls and not ruin the game, I think.
Yeah I'm months late, but I just wanted to point out this is exactly what they already do in Dark Souls. The very first NPC you see when you land at Firelink tells you you're supposed to ring the two bells, one up in the church (he even tells you about the shortcut, saying "but the lift is broken" so you'll have to go through the Burg) and one far below in Blight Town. He then says something to the effect of "Blight Town will probably kick your ass, so don't go down first."

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I'm months late, but I just wanted to point out this is exactly what they already do in Dark Souls. The very first NPC you see when you land at Firelink tells you you're supposed to ring the two bells, one up in the church (he even tells you about the shortcut, saying "but the lift is broken" so you'll have to go through the Burg) and one far below in Blight Town. He then says something to the effect of "Blight Town will probably kick your ass, so don't go down first."
Well sure you have a NPC telling you where to go. It's not obvious at all how you get there however. He doesn't say you have to go through the Burg, or which direction is the tower, or blighttown, or anything. There's nothing in what he says that suggests it's not toward the area with skeletons. Mostly my issue with the start is the design of the first area, as I said. It's a very small thing really and doesn't detract from the game at all, but unlike Demon's Souls which was really a go do whatever the fuck you want, Dark Souls is actually pretty directive, yet still confusing. The path to the Burg should simply have been more obvious. It makes little sense to have a NPC tell you "eh you should go there" and then not show the way if it's not obvious or make it simply obvious. Out of all the directions you can go from the starting area, the one to go to the burg is the least obvious one(along with going downstairs since the stairs are a bit small). For example I remember when you have to go to Sen Fortress, they actually show you what it looks like and I knew right away where it was cause I ran past it earlier. Having a dynamic camera showing the path from the start to the burg should have been fine.

Anyway it's a very minor issue as I said, but still a weird one, I think it's something a lot of people found out by themselves after running into the skeletons and getting assraped but it makes very little sense to put it there at the start.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't start reading walkthrough spoilers until I had rung both bells and arrived in Anor Londo (I had opened the gates in New Londo Ruins at that point as well), it worked for me.

Also, Dark Souls finally answered the question "how many five year olds can you take on in a fight"

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I wouldn't even say the vagueness in where to go is the issue, I've only read some spoilers for bosses so far and yet I haven't ended up in an area I shouldn't.

The biggest thing to me that could have been better explained is class and game mechanics. Humanity, Hallowed vs. Human, Bloodstains, Invasions, Covenants, etc. I'm 8 hours in, lvl 25 and at the Gaping Dragon yet I really have little to no idea what any of this shit is. After dying a bunch of times I go read the spoiler for the Gaping Dragon and it says if possible I should summon Solaire or another knight or even both if I'm on their quest, NPC's have quests???

Another thing, I'm still in my Knight Armor. My only upgrade is the Boar Helm and I have the Drake Sword. Should I be randomly going back to Firelink to buy armor or wtf? Do I have to hump it all the way back to the blacksmith in Parrish to upgrade what I have? Should I be farming stuff?

Figuring out where to go gets to be pretty easy, you just kill everything and if you can't kill it aside from a boss you know you're going to the wrong way. If DSII can improve though on relaying info on what does what then I think that would be a big help unless it's expected that you should spend half your game time stairing at the walkthroughs.

Breakarms_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't even say the vagueness in where to go is the issue, I've only read some spoilers for bosses so far and yet I haven't ended up in an area I shouldn't.

The biggest thing to me that could have been better explained is class and game mechanics. Humanity, Hallowed vs. Human, Bloodstains, Invasions, Covenants, etc. I'm 8 hours in, lvl 25 and at the Gaping Dragon yet I really have little to no idea what any of this shit is. After dying a bunch of times I go read the spoiler for the Gaping Dragon and it says if possible I should summon Solaire or another knight or even both if I'm on their quest, NPC's have quests???

Another thing, I'm still in my Knight Armor. My only upgrade is the Boar Helm and I have the Drake Sword. Should I be randomly going back to Firelink to buy armor or wtf? Do I have to hump it all the way back to the blacksmith in Parrish to upgrade what I have? Should I be farming stuff?

Figuring out where to go gets to be pretty easy, you just kill everything and if you can't kill it aside from a boss you know you're going to the wrong way. If DSII can improve though on relaying info on what does what then I think that would be a big help unless it's expected that you should spend half your game time stairing at the walkthroughs.
Good sir, the reason this game is so highly appraised is because of it's combat and general mystery + depth. It feeds you victories and knowledge slowly, much like MMOs of old used to do, before every little kid could just open the Quests menu and find out where they were supposed to go to collect bear asses. The minimalist style and not holding your hand is the whole reason I enjoy this game.

MrBelding_sl

shitlord
Good sir, the reason this game is so highly appraised is because of it's combat and general mystery + depth. It feeds you victories and knowledge slowly, much like MMOs of old used to do, before every little kid could just open the Quests menu and find out where they were supposed to go to collect bear asses. The minimalist style and not holding your hand is the whole reason I enjoy this game.
Yep - part of the appeal of this whole series is the fact that you start out not knowing shit. The lore of this game is almost all told in the items you find, and with the minimal dialogue you have with npcs. That being said, the story actually mostly makes sense and fits together - check the link Budos posted earlier with the guy going into detail about all the lore.

As for armor, there is no clear armor upgrade path, particularly if you care about fast roll speed. I wore the tattered cloth Pyromancer armor for most of the beginning of the game and spent 99% of the rest of the game with a hollow warrior waistcloth, havel's gauntlets and nothing else (highest poise to keep under 20 weight). Sometimes a Crown of Dusk for the magic boost. I kept full set of Gold Hemmed in the bag for massive poison resist, full set of Dingy (Firekeeper armor) for curse resist (basilisks and Seath fight), and Havel's for rare occasions I needed high poise (4 kings mostly).

Budos

Release date on Amazon is for December 31st, 2013... just 8 months to go.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah that's just the placeholder date Amazon uses for all thier game releases till they have an actual release date. I'm fairly sure it was said in an interview with the new game director that DS2 won't be out this year.

Ziggurat_sl

shitlord
http://kotaku.com/dark-souls-ii-comi...sign-510871604

W96rbJS.jpg

W96rbJS.jpg