Dark Souls 2

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Lol, that is evil. I can just imagine the rage from people trying to get past those damn archers and that guy at the same time.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
and so far it is much easier than bloodborne.
I'm running a str build with drangleic shit for the most part
That would be why. It's equivalent to using Ludwig's Holy Blade in Bloodborne.

I think Dark Souls 2 is overall easier than Dark Souls 1, though. Dark Souls 1 has a lot of bosses and areas that are just ridiculously unfair unless you're playing "the right" build.

How does invading work? I tend to leave games idle at times.
Not sure what game you're talking about, so I'll list the three that I know how they work for:

• Dark Souls 1: You can be invaded in any area if you aren't fighting a boss where you haven't killed the boss yet, with a few exceptions (such as Firelink Shrine and the Ceaseless Discharge area of Demon Ruins). A player has to be within your level range in order to invade you.
  • Dark Souls 2: You can be invaded in any area if you aren't fighting a boss (with one exception that I won't spoil), even if you've already killed the boss there (after 30 minutes have passed), with a few exceptions (such as Majula and Rat King Covenant). A player has to be within your level rangeandsoul memory range in order to invade you. Also, you can burn a Human Effigy in a bonfire to turn off invasions and co-op in an area for 30 minutes.
  • Bloodborne: If you ring the Resonant Bell to summon aid, someone who has rung the Sinister Bell will invade you. Not sure how it works with level matching, though.

I don't know how invading works in Demon's Souls. I haven't played it.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Demons Souls and Dark Souls had similar invasion rules. You had to be human to be invaded and a similar level range. Dark Souls 2 was different where you could get invaded even while dead. Despite that though, invasions in Dark Souls 2 is a bit more rare because of the soul memory system and a lack of the consumable you need to initiate an invasion.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'll paste my opinion from the DS3 thread

Dark Souls 3

Tuco_sl said:
I couldn't get through DS2 because I was so disappointed in the game environments. What made DS1 so enjoyable was getting through tough content and being rewarded with an amazing new world to explore. In DS2 I got to the spider queen and can't remember a single environment I thought was that cool. Actually I take that back, the 'home base' you have is a cool zone because of the outstretched water.

I'll probably replay it after a few times, but with low hopes. I also didn't like any of the builds, but I'm sure there's some that are powerful and fun I didn't play yet.
Tuco_sl said:
Finally beat DS2. I really didn't like DS2 as much as DS1 and I guess I'm not sure why. I think it's a combination of not liking the levels or the encounters as much as well as being exhausted from Dark Souls gameplay. Maybe it's just using the controller but I never really felt like I got good at the game. All I did was memorize the enemy's animations, then hit a few buttons with the right timing and the game's aimbot did the rest. When I watch videos playing it just looks stilted and awkward compared to other games.

It also seemed like each zone was just irritating. If I go down the list of:http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/LocationsWhen I look at most of the zones I just remember dumb elements in it to make the game annoying.

Ex: Shrine of Amana combined so many annoying gameplay elements into one of the few beautiful zones: "Let's make the entire zone covered in shallow water so the player moves super slow in it. And let's make it so that the player isn't sure if they're walking off a cliff unless they point the camera downward! (Note: I found if I disabled pretty water I found I could see through the water more effectively....) Let's throw a bunch of really easy enemies in there that snipe at you from long range! It won't be difficult, just annoying!".

Black Gulch was another one. The cave was beautiful and interesting, the two monster types in it were cool (but way too easy), but having poison spitting vases everywhere ruined it. I just wanted to get the hell out of the zone asap and didn't even bother exploring.

I also didn't like the hallowing mechanic, but I guess I kind of avoided it. I used the ring of binding, ignored the hallowing effect and ended the game with some 50 human effigies.

Around the time I killed the smelter demon I wanted to stop and just kept going to finish the damn game. I bought one of the DLC and can't imagine wanting to play it. I don't think I'll even bother playing DS3.
I really enjoyed DS1 because of some of the game environments were amazing, but having gone through DS2 I can't think of a single one I really liked. Ash Lake is one of my favorite levels in any game ever, and nothing in DS2 even attempts to reach it.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I agree with Tuco about DS1 having better environments, but from a gameplay standpoint, I think DS2 was way better. More builds were viable and backstab/parry fishing was made impossible.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
That would be why. It's equivalent to using Ludwig's Holy Blade in Bloodborne.

I think Dark Souls 2 is overall easier than Dark Souls 1, though. Dark Souls 1 has a lot of bosses and areas that are just ridiculously unfair unless you're playing "the right" build.

Not sure what game you're talking about, so I'll list the three that I know how they work for:

• Dark Souls 1: You can be invaded in any area if you aren't fighting a boss where you haven't killed the boss yet, with a few exceptions (such as Firelink Shrine and the Ceaseless Discharge area of Demon Ruins). A player has to be within your level range in order to invade you.
  • Dark Souls 2: You can be invaded in any area if you aren't fighting a boss (with one exception that I won't spoil), even if you've already killed the boss there (after 30 minutes have passed), with a few exceptions (such as Majula and Rat King Covenant). A player has to be within your level rangeandsoul memory range in order to invade you. Also, you can burn a Human Effigy in a bonfire to turn off invasions and co-op in an area for 30 minutes.
  • Bloodborne: If you ring the Resonant Bell to summon aid, someone who has rung the Sinister Bell will invade you. Not sure how it works with level matching, though.

I don't know how invading works in Demon's Souls. I haven't played it.
I mean I'm not abusing anything. Using probably the most common build (mix of melee stats) with gear that you get very early on in the game.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
He's merely saying that depending on your gear choice you can chose your own difficulty to some degree. What you've chosen is a simpler/easier gear combination than other weapons or armor that are available. Souls games just let you play what you like, but you can turn up the difficulty.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I recently picked up Scholar(PS4) for about $30 and started a duel wield character instead of the usual sword/board and damn it is fun as hell. It's like a new game to me.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I recently picked up Scholar(PS4) for about $30 and started a duel wield character instead of the usual sword/board and damn it is fun as hell. It's like a new game to me.
Not relying on blocks definitely change your perspective about the game. Also makes it easy as fuck when you replay it with basically any other class, cause once you learn how to dodge shit instead of just blocking through it, it means you basically know all the patterns and don't get hit by anything, more or less.

And yeah the weapon as difficulty, I think I read that in an interview. Basically it's how in the original DS you could if you wanted(and read guides) get the dragon sword into the lightning spear, with a good shield(say havel or black knight) and have a very easy time, or even get the Zweihander in the graveyard at the start. Or you could get a bandit knife and a parrying shield instead and try to do the game like that. All these options were available very early, but some were noticeably harder than the others. Some people gravitated towards certain weapons just because of style preferences, but some also did from an efficiency point of view. The Zweihander and especially the Dragon Sword were the easy mode for the game, they made it a lot more accessible than trying to use a rapier or a bandit knife or a mace or whatever the other options were, I don't remember particularily well. Similarily, using heavier armor and shields would in general make the game more accessible.

It was "make your own difficulty", if you wanted more, you could start as the lvl 1 class, you could use shorter/smaller weapons and you could use lighter armor. Magic goes there too for the easy mode, in both dark souls, picking a mage spec(mostly fire or arcane, the holy shit was often meh) would in general make the game pretty easy. Shit vanilla pyromancy in DS1 was so broken.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I didn't even notice the Scholar DLC changes a lot of the original game mobs.. it's kind of refreshing to see all these new changes since i bought it on the PS4 while it was on sale.

Neato!

Can't remember what the early game good items are though lol

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
There's a reason the original thread got shawed. Dark souls is not a turn based game

Needless

Toe Sucker
Bloodborne: The Old Hunters is out in Japan late November.

First expansion of the game, wonder if it'll make it here around the same time?

That fucking chainsaw blade.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I decided I didn't give this thing a fair shake last go around. I had picked it up through gamefly right after playing Bloodborne and just couldn't get into it what so ever and sent it back.

PSN has this on sale for $24 so I grabbed it to give it another go.

I do feel that Bloodborne is the better game but one thing I do enjoy from Souls are the classes and the variety of game play options that result. Even if some of them are cheese mode. That is certainly something I hope Bloodborne copies and refines and makes them a little more balanced.

That said, hands down, Bloodborne is better and I find it much more difficult as well. I've found the bosses, mini bosses and general mobs to be easier on average in Dark Souls 2, even with the changes to the game in the version I'm playing. Enemy tells are much slower, easier to dodge / block and everything feels like its about 75% speed. I feel as though the window to successfully evade attacks is larger, especially if you are close to the enemy, I find blocking to be a huge crutch for most of the game and LOLRANGE really feels like it trivializes the game.

Despite some of them being cheesemode I enjoy the class options but I found Bloodborne to be much harder, especially on the bosses. The other odd thing that I didn't see in Bloodborne is enemies leash which makes things much easier when shit goes wrong and you get a pack of nasty things chasing you down. Pathing is also whacked at times and I've made enemies run off cliffs or ledges to their deaths as I kited them around exploiting Terrain. One big annoyance I've found is the target lock on is pretty whacked at times. Especially if you have a NPC, say the torch guy in harbor, following you around you'll target him instead of the mobs attacking you which adds a lot of frustration. Same with enemies at height or if you are slightly out of range it is infuriating to try and target them only to flip the camera around and lose out on precious seconds.

Not to say Dark Souls is garbage or that I'm not enjoying myself, that is certainly not the case. I hope Bloodborne considers expanding the class options some to open up game play a bit. I'd also like Bloodborne to be a bit more like souls in regards to their world design. I never once felt lost in Bloodborne where as without a guide Dark Souls 2 can be quite confusing. Perhaps some middle ground there is best. There is a lot to like in the Souls series but those of you that have never played Bloodborne seriously are missing out. They both do different things really well and still scratch the same itch.